• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Breloomancer

• TB

• Ice909

• Luminesce

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We might've just watched the episode of Dragon Ball Super @TB was talking about, was it the one titled "Goku Dies!"?

Because I was very annoyed to read that title before watching the episode, until it turned out the very first thing you see in the episode is Goku dying out of nowhere (the previous episode being a filler baseball game episode)

I can't say anything about it other than it was refreshing in the middle of pure filler before and after it

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

22 minutes ago, Luminesce said:

We might've just watched the episode of Dragon Ball Super @TB was talking about, was it the one titled "Goku Dies!"?

If you mean the one/ones I said were unpallatable, then no. I think that episode is okay. The one I was talking about may be a bit further. ToP arc is long so might be relatively a while, but they happen in some of the various scouting episodes

The unpallatable ones have various character traits go too far in a way they aren't supposed to. In one case being really uncomfortable, and the other being literally character rewriting in a way that just goes so far against everything up to that point. It is one of my main gripes with Super. Many of the characters just aren't the same characters I love that were created in the 80s and 90s. 

I think it is largely because the original dragonball was created by just Akira Toriyama and whichever 1 editor of 4 he had through the lifespan of the series. Super is written by dozens of writers from Toei, and most characters have multiple writers that rotate as far as I know, and I can really feel it.

You can feel when Goku is in hands of whatever writer is like, "uhh, Goku is really really stupid and infantile! That's  what he is, it is all he is!" Or when the guy who thinks "Goku really really likes to fight! That's his entire character, right??" That is what it feels like, sometimes. Occassionally he will almost appear to be the same Goku from the Buu saga, but not often enough and the mess that is him and many of the other characters ruin things for me a lot.

Toriyama is responsible for Super's story in that he designs a villian and general plot outline, but that is it I believe, and just about everything else is in hands of others. However, Toriyama is infamous for memory problems, and I would not be 100% confident that if he had full control, that it would really feel like the 90s again anyway, though it may probably be a lot better at least, especially if he has an old editor to kind of keep him somewhat straight. 

There are many nuggets of good ideas and good execution, but it feels sewn into a rotted mess of a quilt. 

It is painful, but it isn't first time a series I love gets handled messily... Silent Hill and Ninja Gaiden, among others probably, also laying in a graveyard and I wish they didn't have to go the way they did. Super has more redeeming qualities than those though, but it also is the most painful to me

Creation for creation's sake.

More of my drawings

Resident Dojikko

Good night

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

@Breloomancer I think the .5 episodes are behind the scenes trivia stuff, when I originally watched the show it was only whole numbers (including 0), though I saw the decimal ones at a later point

@TB I was referring to an episode(s) you said you "really liked" that we were approaching, when I mentioned we were at the Arale and baseball filler episodes

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

We didn't sleep long 😞

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

Good Moon Revolution