[Game] Last one to post wins!

Pleeb

I wasn't offended, I was genuinely asking a question. this is the first time that I recall anyone using the word retard where I had the chance to ask them to specify what they meant. the people I tend to hang out with just aren't the people who tend to say that word, so most of my exposure to it is through people I couldn't talk to or wouldn't want to talk to

8 hours ago, Luminesce said:

However, I'm still a major proponent for dissociating insults like that from their original meaning in favor of becoming generic insults.

that's such a weird thing to be in favor of. I get that it's probably mostly just a principal thing to do with how you think language aught to work, but it is still just so strange. and I don't really get how the semantic drift of other words meant that this word should experience the same semantic drift. anyway, https://xkcd.com/2247/

what I think is really interesting is the semantic bleaching of words related to low intelligence. often times words like "dumb" and "stupid" are used not just to describe someone of low intelligence, but also for incompetence, annoyingness, or (if being used to describe something inanimate) the quality of being poorly made and/or inconvenient. I guess that it was influenced to be this way by the general societal conflation of intelligence and general goodness

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

• Replies 152.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Breloomancer

• TB

• Ice909

• Luminesce

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Being called an idiot or retard a lot while growing up is partially why I am the way I am now. It made me very insecure of my intelligence, and made me believe something was wrong with me. I could no longer trust myself with anything that requires thinking for myself

And yeah, my experience seems to be Bear's, in that retard to me refers to someone with an extremely low IQ. At some point it became too offensive to say though, so people started using autistic as an insult instead. I find both to be unfortunate, though, as they use very painful and uncontrollable conditions that people have in order to put someone else down. I guess some people aren't bothered by insults, but then there are others who get their personality disfigured by them. I don't know if people enjoy their insults towards others so much that it is too much to just be nice for the benefit of everyone

Edited by TB

Creation for creation's sake.

More of my drawings

Resident Dojikko

intelligence is overrated anyway. being smart wouldn't necessarily make you better at making decisions for yourself. more intelligent people are more likely to do drugs, including those really dangerous drugs like heroin and such

-Me

I added more to my post just as you posted, lol

And oh, I haven't heard of that. Well, I am not sure what intelligence even is anymore. It seems to be a lot more complex than people make it out to be. I would conflate high intelligence with someone who is capable of consistently making good decisions for themselves. If it didn't do that, I am not sure what it even is for, then. I personally am poor at decisions. They make me incredibly stressed out and I get overwhelmed. Though I have heard that can be a result of depression

More of my drawings

Resident Dojikko

intelligence is just how capable you are with logic and reasoning and finding patterns and making connections. but intelligence also correlates with higher openness to new experiences, which means that you are more likely to go against common sense, which can sometimes lead you to new discoveries and sometimes get you into trouble

theoretically having high intelligence should make you better at making decisions, but in practice it doesn't always seem to work out that way

-Me

I see

In tabletop sessions, I seem to struggle with puzzles, or sometimes just general situations where my actions leads to horrible things happening. I really try to think things through thoroughly, but it never works out how I think it will, and I seem trained to think anything and everything can go wrong, causing me to play as safe as I can, which ends up also being the wrong choice. I don't know if I am just stupid, or if it is something else, or if anxiety makes me become unintelligent when I otherwise am not, or if the games are designed to make failure incredibly easy. I spend more time considering all possible actions that I can think of, and all possible consequences of all possible actions that I can think of, and then trying to decide what is the best choice out of those, than I do actually doing anything, and then when I finally make a choice it seems like it manages to be literally the most horrible one

Sometimes hindsight can be 20/20, but often it feels like it would have been random for me to come to the correct conclusions for the situation, or that the conclusion was still contested by any other lines of thoughts I had that seemed like they could have been as reasonable. Anyway, it is stressful and one of the least enjoyable parts of a table top for me. We get called mustard brains for our incompetence (there have been some cases where I will accept my mustard brainism lol but then other cases where I am just very frustrated)

Edited by TB

More of my drawings

Resident Dojikko

I wouldn't call someone who I thought had down syndrome or autism retarded. That's a line that shouldn't be crossed.

I also wouldn't want to call anyone retarded with the intent to bully them. I might call something done by someone that because I think it's stupid or they are being stupid, but if they're not an asshole or it's clear something else was going on, I wouldn't use that word.

I heard anxiety can absolutely reduce IQ. I'll try to find something to prove it, one moment please.

Edit: I couldn't find the legendary claim that anxiety causes a significant drop in IQ. I did however find a lot of articles talking about a significant percentage of people with high IQ have a mental health condition like ADHD, anxiety disorder, autism, etc.

Edited by Ranger

Meow. You may see my headmates call me Gray or sometimes Cat.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account

Nobody used that word when I was in school, I think grade school's favorite was the n word.

Edited by Ranger
Wow, that edit needed to happen. We don't use the n word at home, sorry

Meow. You may see my headmates call me Gray or sometimes Cat.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account