Top Posters In This Topic

• Breloomancer

• TB

• Ice909

• Luminesce

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't see how having 2 extra legs is compromising anything at all

also, I go at relatively high speeds backwards, and I exist, so no, we haven't all been selected out. making eye contact with someone while walking away from them backwards and deftly navigating the terrain is a powerful move that you should be careful not to underestimate. some people laugh, some people are impressed, but to all it makes a lasting impression

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

Running backwards is dangerous, even more so than walking backwards. There's a good reason nearly all animals turn around rather than run backwards, and that's that evolution led to the lack of it - countless things have been tried, and ones that give no advantage or give a disadvantage get weeded out, to the point that we consider vestigial traits and body parts very interesting that they still exist

also, humanity is mostly past natural selection these days, your backwards-walking trait may well have gotten you killed in the stone age

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

backwards walking is useful like being left handed is useful; it can make things more annoying sometimes, but nobody ever expects it, and nobody is ever prepared for it

just because something isn't attested to in evolution doesn't mean that it is bad. there are some solutions that evolution has trouble reaching, for example, things that are mostly useless until you get them to a certain point, and then become extremely useful. evolution isn't ever going to stick with something to the end if it doesn't start reaping rewards earlier though. furthermore, it is also possible that something may one day become a strategy that an organism employs, but it just happened yet. before the first flying insects, there were no animals that could fly, so you could just as easily have said "there are no animals that can fly because flying is dangerous and not worth it", but we know that to be untrue now. the real reason why animals don't backwards walk is because it is easiest to just walk in one direction, and whichever direction that is ends up being forward. would 4 legs, all specialized in walking in one direction be better than 4 legs, split between walking in 2 opposite directions? I don't know, and I don't care. what matters is not how the later case matches up to the former, but rather how cool the later case would be

and no, I wouldn't have died of backwards walking in the stone age, because I'm not an idiot. I could go over all of the obvious things that I would do that would prevent backwards walking from killing me, but really it can all just be summed up by "I'm not an idiot"

-Me

sounds like what you're saying is you wouldn't have died because, in any situations where you needed to be optimal with your movement, you would move forwards and not use the risky and dangerous method of running backwards

nearly all animals can walk backwards, but clearly there was no benefit to capitalizing on that trait past basic backing up capabilities or we'd see literally any animals do it - the closest thing I can think of is crabs, but... that's just how they walk, "forwards" isn't exactly an accurate term for them to go by

anyways, maybe if you include a neck that can turn 180 degrees (or eyes with greater sight range, or.. more eyes) I could believe backwards running might be practical and just never naturally occurred

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

On 2/19/2021 at 5:06 AM, Breloomancer said:

I don't hate you, I just figured that it was very unlikely that you had anything to back up your claim and so I challenged it

That's worse, if you speak to everyone like that, who would bother to debate.

yeah, of course if I want to move optimally I am not going to try to do it backwards. humans bodies are much better at going forwards than backwards. that being said, if humans had a set of backwards legs, then backwards movement abilities would come a lot closer to forwards movement abilities

-Me