• Breloomancer

• TB

• Ice909

• Luminesce

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mhm

Good evening

I'm anxious though because tomorrow is the day before I have to go back to work. I really don't want to go especailly after having a negative interaction with someone there. It makes it stressful and awkard and idk if I should bring it up to try to find peace with it or if it will just make it worse. No idea if they forgot about it or if they still hold negative feelings for it too... it sucks

Anyhow I have been at a base level of productivity for a while I think. Hope it pays off. Except I could be doing better with Japanese.

I desperately didn't want to get up this morning but now I desperately don't want to go to bed lol

Creation for creation's sake.

More of my drawings

Resident Dojikko

Just doing your best to move on being neutral/friendly and clearly not holding things against people will usually be fine. The worst thing (for the anxious types) is to avoid someone you had a conflict with out of fear of coming off as uncaring or something - because all they see is you had conflict and now you're avoiding them. There are definitely times where talking something out is good to do, but also just continuing to act normally can still be good, as it promotes normalcy and looking like you didn't "hold a grudge" or take it too seriously, etc. Very artificial lol, but these are the mental gymnastics people with anxiety end up having to play. Hence recommending the "just maintain normalcy" approach.

Elfen Lied is.. Well first off, it was made focused on shock value of people exploding into blood. It's not a happy or fun anime, nor is it really that deep. Second though, the main character who does the killing starts off the show receiving brain damage or something that causes them to half the time act like a lewd catgirl and, to me at least, it was incredibly annoying and hurt immersion a bit (though the scenes where they returned to their normal personality still had weight). 

I'd say I don't really recommend it, but it's also only 13 episodes. I watched it like 13 years ago right after Higurashi because I was an edgy teen who heard it was bloodier than Higurashi, so my memory of it isn't perfect, but accurate enough I think. It has maybe two particularly "psychological thriller" moments, whereas Higurashi was just flat out devastating all the way through, so if you were looking for that kind of thing Elfen Lied pales in comparison. But uh, YOU specifically shouldn't be? It sure won't help your mental state.

Serial Experiments Lain is extremely.. what would you call it, "Experimental"? In a sense it barely qualifies as an actual show. It's maybe like the value is more what goes on in your head while watching it than the completion of the show itself. It's very, very "schizophrenia/dissociative"-feeling, so once again I'm not sure I'd recommend it to someone struggling with their mental health, but I don't think it's overly negative like the previous two animes I mentioned. Just very likely to leave you feeling mentally scrambled after watching.

I loved it, as a fan of psychological thrillers & someone who likes to think way too much about things, while comparing a totally uncreative and boring person, they would likely watch the whole thing and say it had no value and nothing really happened lol. I don't think literally anyone at that level of mentally-boring/uncreative ever visits a forum about tulpas, though. Anyways, I'm not sure Lain will be good for your mental health, again. But you can watch it if "feeling mentally scrambled" is a state you want, I suppose.

I barely watch any anime anymore (most of my recommendations I watched 6 to 13 years ago), but my normal recommendation is Madoka Magica as just one of the best animes period, and then Mirai Nikki (Future Diary) as just a fun and interesting show - both of them being "psychological thrillers". I'm not sure either of them will leave you feeling especially happy (like Spy x Family probably does, but I've never seen it), but I loved them a ton.

I'm currently 730 episodes into One Piece (would be further, waiting for my brother to catch up), which I chose to watch off of Alpharad(youtuber)'s strong recommendations because I just wanted to have something to watch for the foreseeable future, and I can vouch that it's "a good shounen", right from the start despite starting in late 1999. I wouldn't say every waking moment is astonishing and ground-breaking, but the show certainly has its payoffs every arc, with some of them (namely ~halfway through and ~three-fourths through the 1000+ episode show) being very, very compelling, and I've heard it has stayed just as good or better into modern years' episodes. So I do recommend One Piece specifically if you want a long show, but that's a different kind of recommendation from the 12 episode Madoka Magica and 13 Serial Experiments Lain, which condense everything they have to offer into a single day's worth of episodes.

Oh, note: One Piece as a manga will go far quicker and, for those who like action-oriented mangas, is probably really great. I personally just don't enjoy action-based mangas nearly as much as anime adaptations of them, but there are many One Piece manga readers who think the show is too slow. There's also a fan-colored version of the One Piece manga somewhere that shouldn't be hard to find either which seemed great.

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

45 minutes ago, Luminesce said:

I barely watch any anime anymore

45 minutes ago, Luminesce said:

I'm currently 730 episodes into One Piece

interesting

also spy x family leaves me feeling very happy and makes me laugh constantly while also just being incredibly cool. also spoilers maybe but one recent episode I made a mental joke that they'd send snipers after loid and fiona playing tenis as their attempts to disrupt their match kept increasing, and then it literally actually happened like lol. though yeah idk how people can animate so well that show is vivid

I watched higurashi long ago but I didn't finish it. Well I finish part one then the second part I only made it like half way through It think because I was watching it on youtube and then it was being taken down at the same time of me watching it so it disappeared. I think that's what happened anyway

Edited by TB

Creation for creation's sake.

More of my drawings

Resident Dojikko

By "I barely watch any anime" I meant "animes" lol. I've watched roughly 1 anime a year for the last many years. I'm watching a lot of One Piece, but I haven't watched any seasonal animes or anything. If you count One Piece as an anime I watched in a given year (which isn't true obviously), it's technically a bit higher than 1, because I watched Dragon Ball Super, then One Punch Man and Mob Psycho, and then you could call One Piece the anime of the third year. Point is, the average anime fan watches a lot more than ~1 a year lol, and I don't consider myself an anime fan

If you displayed all the media I've watched as a pie chart, Youtube videos would make the rest an invisible sliver. Massive majority let's player-like content (Game Grumps in the past, Alpharad these days), and lots of random other stuff. Even accounting for One Piece anime makes up maybe 2% of content I've watched.   .... And that's with all of Naruto/Shippuden too lol.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

1 hour ago, Luminesce said:

Serial Experiments Lain is extremely.. what would you call it, "Experimental"? In a sense it barely qualifies as an actual show. It's maybe like the value is more what goes on in your head while watching it than the completion of the show itself. It's very, very "schizophrenia/dissociative"-feeling, so once again I'm not sure I'd recommend it to someone struggling with their mental health, but I don't think it's overly negative like the previous two animes I mentioned. Just very likely to leave you feeling mentally scrambled after watching.

it's experimental, but i think you're over selling how exactly experimental it is. SEL needs you to think in order to understand the plot and what's really going on, and some of its metaphysical ideas about the nature of reality cause the line to be blurred between metaphorical events and literal events, but overall it still has a mostly linear plot structure, and it's all pretty coherent and comprehensible. you can get a lot more experimental than SEL

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

I basically mean that the linear plot of Lain isn't really anything special at all. The actual deeper lore behind what's happening is slightly deeper, but most of the value is in the interpretation. I would never sell Lain as a show you can just watch without a single thought and enjoy like a shounen, because I think the mental aspect is by far its biggest point. Also I don't think there is any show more experimental than Lain in its structure lol, because Lain is already on the border of "being a show" in the first place. You mentioned the still scenes - it has so many because the value is happening in your head, thinking about them. It's similar in my opinion to how reading a book is different from reading poetry. There might be some linear story to the poetry (or there might not), but its value isn't in the direct information it conveys so much as that just supports its actual value that happens in your interpretation of it. (The interpretation could be 100% intended or 100% subjective, that's neither here nor there)