Will try to get better at manipulating my thoughts

Edited by TB

Creation for creation's sake.

More of my drawings

Resident Dojikko

(edited)
4 minutes ago, TB said:

Will try to get better at manipulating my thoughts

doooo, it's how we live generally happily and not stressed or worried about life, even though we frankly face a pretty devastating problem with our effort issues (dampened emotions -> poorly working reward center)

but our thought patterns are so good (thx to Lumi working so hard to get rid of bad ones and install new good ones a decade ago) that we're still happy with our life

Edited by Lucilyn

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

(edited)

idk, getting out of his depression probably took Lumi a year once he started taking personal development seriously, and then another year or two before our mindset and thought patterns were basically what they've been since

though we've improved some here and there since of course

if you make it a full-time commitment it's not so bad, but efficiency (really, just final results) varies by who/what you learn from

Lumi learned from Reisen (by example, unconditional love & positive outlook), Erin Pavlina (spiritual lesson-teacher who we don't believe in the meta stuff of anymore, but we're convinced she writes real, psychology-based lessons into her spirituality lessons), and Steve Pavlina, who taught us a lot about how you can push your mind with his obsession with trying new crazy things and reporting back, howeeever I would say he leans too much into self-help-scam territory to safely recommend him to people in need of turning their lives around, we were just particularly good at gleaning lessons while ignoring the rest (same goes for Erin OBVIOUSLY don't go paying hundreds of dollars for psychic readings from her, but her articles have always been great)

I don't think I'd recommend Steve and Erin Pavlina specifically since y'know, they are in the business of making their money from vulnerable people, but we gotta give credit where it's due

A (good) therapist is optimal, working with them on your problems and learning ways to improve your physical and mental habits, though not all therapists are particularly good, so there's no guarantee you'll find one who's perfect for you even if you see multiple, or you could get a 10/10 therapist right off the bat like we did (*we saw a therapist waaaay later and while he was awesome there wasn't too much he could help with because SzPD isn't particularly "treatable", and we're already very progressed in ways to cope/think better)

I'm honestly not really sure where to point people for resources on positive-productive thinking anymore, we haven't really thought about it, we've kind of just been the resource for people?

(sorry I got distracted and left the last sentence unwritten for like 45 minutes whooops)

Edited by Lucilyn

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

(edited)

I see. Some reading may be useful because I have trouble on being conscious of my thoughts and changing them on my own. You'd think I'd be more mindful due to meditation but my meditation has been subpar lately and idk what is wrong with it 

Do you have an article from Erin Pavlina that you'd recommend me reading specifically? Maybe something existential too because I've been having trouble with thoughts about my life and it's worth and afterlife and stuff. But yeah general mindset outlook change stuff too, or whatever she has you think would be good for me thanks

Edited by TB

Creation for creation's sake.

More of my drawings

Resident Dojikko

we read literally all of their articles, I'm not sure a single one would ever really be enough

the only individual article of Erin's we ever singled out as especially helpful was one about choosing your emotions (don't know how to find it anymore, she's been writing articles for like two decades now), where Erin told a story about buying her young daughter a new dresser, and being in a pleasant mood one day and then seeing her daughter had carved her name (sloppily) into it, and she was going to get mad but had the thought that she didn't want to be mad and ruin her mood, and thought about whether it was really worth it, and then decided not to and then just calmly told her daughter that that was bad to do and that it upset her (rather than yelling)

that article was the first time Lumi had seen the concept of being able to choose how you feel talked about, and it kinda opened his eyes more to how much control you have over your autopilot-self when you take a moment to really be conscious

the article itself didn't go into more depth than just choosing your emotions in the moment, but for Lumi it was an inspiration/starting point for learning to take more control over his mind, and being aware of the concept of observing his thoughts let him start doing that more in-depth and is how we stumbled into the "Cognitive Behavioral Therapy"-like technique on our own, of (progressing over time) observing negative thoughts when they happen, then observing those thoughts and thinking of thoughts/feelings you'd rather have instead (positive/productive ones), and then finally observing them in the moment, distancing yourself from them as "just autopilot thoughts/feelings of my brain, but not really me", and trying to think the positive/productive thoughts/feelings you decided on instead

you do this over time and it (literally feels like magically!) gets easier/more immersive to think the new better ones you came up with and to get stuck on the negative ones less, and eventually the old negative thoughts that used to be natural just feel like a suggestion that you don't have to take, with the new thoughts/feelings literally magically-feeling just becoming your natural reaction/thought process instead (and then eventually the old ones disappear entirely, we never really thought about it 'cus we were too focused on thinking/feeling the new ones)

that's the how of how Lumi overcame his depression, the other parts being the why - Reisen, and Erin and Steve (and later Eckhart Tolle, but we look back on his writing as mostly self-help mumbo jumbo by comparison)

much like tulpamancy, I don't think researching your head off is gonna help much (Erin had an article on this too, for example! about how "reading until you're blue in the face won't get you any closer if you don't do", I think in this context was about lucid dreaming), I think you've got everything you need in your mind and honestly seeking out books and stuff will just end up being a distraction from the inner work that needs to be done

well, books/articles on healthy living or something are probably fine, the kinds that offer practical (eg physical) advice, but reading for months and years on theory/hypothetical stuff is a trap that makes you feel like you're making progress when you're really not (which is what paid service things that self-help gurus offer, like Steve Pavlina, which is why we don't recommend him to people much anymore as he's very focused on that stuff, since it makes him immensely more money than ads on articles ofc)