[Game] Last one to post wins!

Pleeb

2 hours ago, Yakumo said:

That said I've been wanting to ask you for a long time, what's your take on the Voynich Manuscript?

the Voynich Manuscript has stumped people who know more than I do, so I'm not going to say anything with a high degree of certainty. we know that carbon dating says the paper is from the early 1400s, and so it's not likely that it was written long after that. we know that it has structure that would likely rule out the possibility of it being complete gibberish. people have analyzed it based on every form of cryptography that is known to have existed at the time, and it has been reported that it does not match with any of those. people have analyzed its structure as being similar to natural languages, but it doesn't match with any known natural language (of course, not every known language has been tested, but as far as I know most languages that it would be likely to be have been tested) and certain aspects of its structure seem overly regular. from this I conclude that it is most likely to be a constructed language, though again, I don't say that with a large degree of confidence

people did make conlangs in the 1400s, but it was not very common. what natural languages were made were often for spiritual purposes. I think that the illustrations in the manuscript act as weak evidence for the conlang hypothesis, since many of them seem to be astrological diagrams, which would fit right in with the idea that there are spiritual purposes for the language and the manuscript, and none of the plants match up with known plant species, which might suggest that they are fantasies of the author. perhaps the whole thing was an attempt at invoking some other world that only existed in the mind of the author into this world. I suggest this because that is why I would write a cryptic book in an unknown language full of unknown plants in the 1400s if I were to do such a thing

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

• Replies 152.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Breloomancer

• TB

• Ice909

• Luminesce

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

strange 

Hey there, the name's Bryan. In system Re:Body(In order of the rainbow): 

Sean, Esper, Blinky, Compact, Janey, Kyle, Gwen'd, Gwen, Emily, Rollin, Waynin, Trease, Layy, Justin, Chloe, Zachery, and Elliot. 

I've been here a while. Much longer than I thought I'd be. Our system was founded October 2nd, 2018. In early 2020, we decided that due to our systems exponential growth, we'd limit who would be active. Now, every month, we do a check to see who wishes to be in dormancy and who wishes to be active. Currently, for the month of April, 2023, we've got myself(Bryan), Janey(Co-host), Emily, Layy, Chloe, and Esper(sub-rep). After over 2 long years, we can finally switch :) 

Bryan is currently swapped in as host, Esper is sub-rep. 

"There used to be 7 wonders of the world, but now there's 8, as everyone wonders how much of a fool you are."

Ice909#0065 -- Always down for a chat 

https://discord.gg/89qN59SbRp Plural safe-space 

@Breloomancer

Thanks!

I agree with most of what you said, mostly that we don't have a clue. I have been keeping an eye on research on this topic for more than 10 years now and frankly no hypothesis is satisfactory, yet some codicological progress was made. I can't say much about the text except that it has ridiculously low entropy, not just few words, often repeated, but also strict rules on how letters are placed in relation to each other and within a line. One of the main problems with computational attacks is we still don't know how to parse these glyphs or what is a 'glyph' at all. It is clearly not any obscure natural language nor any substitution cipher. One fascinating hypothesis is that it may contain a combination of scribal abbreviations and roman numerals, hence the code-like structure.

36 minutes ago, Breloomancer said:

people did make conlangs in the 1400s, but it was not very common.

Do you have any examples?

Yet frankly I can neither see how the text can contain meaningful information nor that it is merely gibberish. It is theoretically possible to create similar structured ciphertext (or nonsense) with a Cardan Grille or Enigma-style cipher wheels with the right arrangement of glyphs. But nothing like this is known for the early 15th century.

However it may well be the case that both text and imagery only made a highly abstract and personal sense to the creator which cannot be derived without contextual information - which we obviously don't have. Regarding the weird images we have found clear homologues of Zodiac signs, especially the strange Gemini, with German workshops of the mid 15th century. These images are clearly derived from the same source. So it's less alien than it seems. Generally imagery is believed to be connected to the alpine region between Switzerland, South Germany, Northern Italy and Bohemia of the mid 15th century consistent with 14C dating.

Bottom line, I think it is a highly personal and probably spiritual work of a single author which obviously had too much time and money. And lots of creativity. To me the most enigmatic property of both text and images is that they look very familiar and extremely alien at the same time.

time

Sean, Esper, Blinky, Compact, Janey, Kyle, Gwen'd, Gwen, Emily, Rollin, Waynin, Trease, Layy, Justin, Chloe, Zachery, and Elliot. 

I've been here a while. Much longer than I thought I'd be. Our system was founded October 2nd, 2018. In early 2020, we decided that due to our systems exponential growth, we'd limit who would be active. Now, every month, we do a check to see who wishes to be in dormancy and who wishes to be active. Currently, for the month of April, 2023, we've got myself(Bryan), Janey(Co-host), Emily, Layy, Chloe, and Esper(sub-rep). After over 2 long years, we can finally switch :) 

"There used to be 7 wonders of the world, but now there's 8, as everyone wonders how much of a fool you are."

8 minutes ago, Yakumo said:

One fascinating hypothesis is that it may contain a combination of scribal abbreviations and roman numerals, hence the code-like structure.

I was not aware of that hypothesis. I agree that it is quite fascinating

8 minutes ago, Yakumo said:

Do you have any examples?

Lingua Ignota is from the 12th century and Balaibalan is from the 14th century. there are probably others that I don't know of but that other people do, and probably others still that have been lost to time. conlangs didn't become common until the enlightenment, and coinciding with that they also got a lot more sophisticated. languages made before the enlightenment will tend to unintentionally mimic the structure of languages that their creator knows. I don't think that this greatly lowers the chance that Vonichese could be a conlang though

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

I'm just here to be the last poster 

I get that. 

The age of empires 4 public stress test was this weekend. It was fun! 100% more like age 2 than age 3, which sucks as an age 3 player, but oh well. It was annoying how there was no button to move all military units to a location, though :( it was really hard to tell where my military units were, much less move them all. Formations being more than just a naval thing is really cool, and I like how units have active abilities now. Overall, pretty good! I'll def be getting it at launch. Then again, even if it was bad I'd still get it, because I get it half off and I'm a slut for the age series lol 

:333333333333 someone has a crush on me

^ ^

-///-

any other tulpa chats with 20+ members that is NOT discord? we dont have and cant get but we want to hang out with you in a chat :<<<<

-LUMITY 

Local gremlins daydreaming up a tulpa and memories. 

bread (he/they) nyx (they/them) 

Why can't you guys use discord? And besides r/tulpas (don't), there's cbox, but no one uses it :/