[Game] Last one to post wins!

Pleeb

Are the rules all made up for your language too, then?

Yo, my name is Sean and I'm the host of 2 tulpas: Sente and Mae. You'll know when they're talking because Sente talks in yellow text and Mae talks in blue text.

• Replies 152.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Breloomancer

• TB

• Ice909

• Luminesce

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

all the rules for english are made up too

only the general patterns we call 'grammar', was formed semi-organically. still technically made up ig

Aubrey (they/them) speaks like this and Shield (they/them) speaks like this... haha just kidding. Ah, memories.

Our profile picture is of Shield, because that's who mostly uses this account...

[the outdated lore]

(edited)
8 hours ago, Breloomancer said:

the only reason why you would pronounce it differently is if you change the stress so that the second syllable is stressed, otherwise all of those vowels would become a schwa. every vowel in english can sometimes be used to represent a schwa

Saying "extruvert" would be pronounced like "extravert"... okay, then by that logic I claim "extrovert" (with the pronunciation of an O) might be spelled "extroevert". Just so we don't accidentally pronounce it ex-traw-vert!! (ie I believe there are some fair default readings of words even if they could be pronounced another way, when they probably aren't).

Lumi kept saying that he wasn't going to argue a point while arguing said point

I assure you every time I made a point that I said I didn't want to argue I fully believed I had made my case on said argument, but then you argued it again. Obviously I didn't really agree with any of your disagreeing on said points. Kinda had "arguable" and "inarguable" points in this discussion on both sides, and you argued one or two I considered "inarguable" - like the fact that the people whose profession it is to work with this word prefer the spelling that isn't a typo-turned-acceptable spelling. But nooo, that's an "appeal to authority". Like what, would you prefer I "cite a source that provides information supporting that it should be spelled such a way"? Not only can that be inferred based on the way professionals work, but there isn't much to cite - extravert came from "extra" and "vert", while "extrovert" came from a typo or mistranslation of those in an old science article 2 years after "extravert" first appeared. That's such a basic and clear fact that all that's left to use in the argument is the since-then use of the word itself, with dictionaries and the masses on one side and professionals on the other. You can say "words change" all you want, but what was the reason for the change? Why not immediately change it back to the A instead of an O? My "appeal to authority" was giving reason we might do so, as opposed to just saying "no I don't like it that way". If anything, there's more reason to "change the spelling from o to a" now than there was to change the spelling from a to o then.

Sounds like a fair point to me. Your argument against my meta argument, I did not like, but participating in the actual argument is fine. For example, the argument that O is a more intuitive..? spelling is an actual argument, one that I don't even understand, but that's fair. Calling the only fair argument for spelling it A instead of O in modern times an "appeal to authority" is not. I'll take an appeal to authority over an appeal to "well that's just what people decided to do" any day.

Lumi was just fine with acknowledging my arguments that said that both spellings were fine, but ignored my argument that using o is better than a

I didn't ignore your argument that o is better than a, and that's really unfair of you to say. But you're like 10 for 1 on fair things you've said so that's okay. I was actually mid-argument with you on o vs a being more intuitive or whatever. I don't agree at all, but you're basically a linguist so I was willing to hear out your explanations. Actually, I replied to that already, huh

--

Anyways, you can pretend I didn't reply to any of that if you want. Something I wanted to write last night but had already turned my computer off:

It's worth noting I was not at all mad or upset in this discussion, nor did I think any of your points were bad or unfair. I hold nothing against you and while the argument is legitimate, it was more for fun than to desperately convert you to my viewpoint or something. But I forget sometimes that while I go to bed emotionally neutral after this sort of debating, some people take it more seriously, so I wanted to make the aforementioned clear (and I'm sorry I didn't say it earlier, slipped my mind)

BTW I much prefer this kind of fluff to "post/." posts. It's still just as fluff, but at least it's more interesting/engaging to look at.

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

FIRST ONE TO RIP THE OTHER'S THROAT OUT GETS ORANGE JUICE ON ME!

Aubrey (they/them) speaks like this and Shield (they/them) speaks like this... haha just kidding. Ah, memories.

Our profile picture is of Shield, because that's who mostly uses this account...

[the outdated lore]

(edited)
41 minutes ago, Felicity Ravenlocke said:

Are we placing bets? Okay, I bet on neither of you winning because you're both too stubborn to change your minds

Neither of us have particularly changeable beliefs on the subject, it was more about rounding out opinions. "Language changes in nonsensical ways" and "Dictionaries list Extrovert as the main spelling" are facts, as are "Professionals purposely continue to use the original A spelling" and "Extravert comes from the roots "Extra" and "Vert"". What was up for debate was all the opinions in between

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

4 hours ago, Luminesce said:

It's worth noting I was not at all mad or upset in this discussion, nor did I think any of your points were bad or unfair. I hold nothing against you and while the argument is legitimate, it was more for fun than to desperately convert you to my viewpoint or something. But I forget sometimes that while I go to bed emotionally neutral after this sort of debating, some people take it more seriously, so I wanted to make the aforementioned clear (and I'm sorry I didn't say it earlier, slipped my mind)

BTW I much prefer this kind of fluff to "post/." posts. It's still just as fluff, but at least it's more interesting/engaging to look at.

I got frustrated with some of your arguments, but I don't hold anything that you said against you, and it's not like anything that we were talking about actually matters in the grand scheme of things. I didn't particularly enjoy most of the argument, but it is better than post posting I suppose

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me