• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Breloomancer

• TB

• Ice909

• Luminesce

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, Sailor Moon does have a lot of filler, sometimes I don't think of that. The plot does build and eventually go places though (Utena does this too but it's edgier and more subversive). Most anime now days are only 12 episode long, with no filler, so in comparison older shows can seem like too much fluff. CCS has plenty of episodes where not a lot happens either. I do feel like longer shows can leave a more lasting impression, the characters more iconic or memorable. Even if it's only because you saw 5-10x more of it than shorter shows. I'm really fond of Sailor Moon after watching all 200 episodes and the movies :'D

Host: YukariTelepath

Tulpas: Aya, Ruki

Imposition log

I think that longer running shows can certainly do things that shorter running shows can't, but longer running shows don't have to resort to filler and sailor moon is especially bad when it comes to filler. I feel like in general filler is something that plagues anime and cartoons more than other mediums. I suspect that it has something to do with cost of production, and somehow filler makes it easier to reuse things that you've already drawn or doesn't make you draw as many frames or something

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

I think it's more that, I always think of a manga as 15 minutes of content, while the standard episode is 22 or 25 minutes. There's 72 volumes of Naruto and TWO HUNDRED TWENTY episodes. Using my personal definition of "one volume = 15min", a full 72 book set of Naurto is 1080 minutes of content. If each of the 220 episodes were 15 minutes long, that'd be 3300 minutes- but each episode is actually even longer! 

So, and I know this is really finicky and not scientific math, but there's a difference of 2220 minutes or THIRTY SEVEN HOURS there. More padding than "content" in the entire series. 

That metric of "fifteen minutes per manga" varies a lot, but another important fact is this: in a manga, a fight scene takes a lot of "time" or, really, panels. Showing two punches can take up a full page spread. But in animated form, two punches can take less than five seconds. Naruto has a lot, lot more padding than other shows because of this. Or at least that's what it felt like to me.

There's also the element of "We need to stretch this out to hype up this", because when it was actually airing, that was important. 

I swear for every fight in Naruto there's two or three episodes of standing around thinking very very hard about the fact that a fight is about to occur. I kinda get why it was popular, it looks cool and stuff, and the manga is probably a lot lot lot better, but man. I'm not saying this from an ignorant perspective. I watched nearly six seasons for my friends, thinking, "it has to get good at some point..." 

I'm spoiled on the good stuff. The lore isn't even that good, it's trite. If only people who really liked in-depth lore like that got into Anne McCaffery or Mercedes Lackey more. But I have never known a single person my age who knew either name. Bre, you'd like PERN books. It just has everything. 

Humans have colonized the planet Pern in the Rukbat star system, but have lost much of their technology and history (including their origin on Earth) due to periodic onslaughts of Thread, a mycorrhizoid spore that voraciously consumes all organic material, including humans and their crops, given the opportunity. Thread comes from the Red Star, actually another planet. The Red Star has a 250-Turn (Pernese year) elliptic orbit around Rukhbat, and when its orbit brings it close enough, Thread rains down on Pern at predictable intervals over about 50 Turns.

The Pernese use intelligent firebreathing dragons to fight Thread. A human rider has a telepathic bond with their dragon, formed by Impression at the dragon's hatching. Later books deal with the initial colonization of Pern and the genetic modification of small native animals into creatures capable of carrying humans in flight.

The Pernese live in a pre-industrial society, with lords, holds, harpers (musicians, entertainers, and teachers), and dragons, with occasional examples of higher technology (like flamethrowers, the telegraph, chemical fertilizers, and powerful microscopes and telescopes). There are four basic social classes: Weyrfolk (including Dragonriders) who live in Weyrs, Holders who rule Holds (cities, towns and farms), crafters, and the Holdless who have no permanent home (including traders, displaced Holders, and brigands).

The series as a whole covers over two and a half millennia.

There's books set with the first colonists (spoiler alert- they don't do so hot), there's books set in the dystopian-like transition where more and more knowledge is lost over time, and generations are being born only knowing the life they live underground, constantly bombarded by Thread which destroy anything metal or wood, and there's books that are fantasy in nature, with all ideas of "earth" and previous scientific tech being regarded as magic or myth, while dragons have been part of society for a thousands of years.... 

I guess I'm really snobbish, but I think it's no wonder teens often don't like teen lit. Teen lit is like way watered down versions of the good shit. 

The world is far, the world is wide; the man needs someone by his side. 

Our Thread

the problem is that there is just too much good fiction; you can't read/watch/play everything that you would enjoy. and then if you want to do other things, like have a social life and hobbies and go to school and work a job and eat and sleep and clean yourself and use the bathroom and relax, then you have even less time to consume good fiction

when I was playing Ar Tonelico: Melody of Elemia (a game with a runtime of ~40 hours), I beat it in 5 days or so, because I was doing just about nothing other than playing that game and preforming the basic functions to keep myself alive and healthy; now I have been playing Ar Tonelico 2: Melody of Metafalica (a game with a similar runtime), and I like it a lot more than the first game in the series, and yet after over a month I am still not close to beating it, because I just have so much less time to play it. life isn't fair. when is someone gonna invent life 2, that fixes all of the problems with the original?

-Me

If there's not even enough time for the good fiction, why waste time on the bad stuff? That's what I felt like, five seasons into Naruto, watching it to see what the fuss was with my friends. 

Our Thread

My brother and I watched the original Naruto as kids, and then Shippuden as adults. Fond memories of the former (and we didn't know what filler was, so aside from a couple of awful episodes where literally nothing happened in the middle of a climactic fight, it was all great), and fond memories of the latter too. It does have a problem with flashbacks to stuff you clearly remember though.

I want to say "google naruto filler list and skip those episodes", and you should consult the filler list if you're watching Naruto, but... I watched the first 200 episodes of Shippuden without consulting a filler list, and when I later did because my brother was watching it, I realized a couple of very interesting arcs are skipped entirely because they're "filler". That's when I found out that "filler" doesn't refer to time-stretched scenes and flashbacks, but non-manga material. Which ironically means, in Naruto at least, those "filler" episodes are 100% action and content with very few flashbacks if any, while the "non-filler" episodes stretch time and flashback a lot. The difference is just that "filler" episodes can't usually progress the show's overarching plot, while non-filler episodes do.

There are filler arcs in Naruto that everyone should skip, but there are also ones like say dealing with the other Jinchuriki, that are just actually interesting and worth watching unless your goal is simply to "finish the show" instead of to enjoy it. The "filler" arcs are often just "more Naruto", ie random stories, expounding or otherwise just "episodes" that aren't progressing the big overarching story. But compare to say Slice of Life genres where most of the time the plot only progresses at the start and end of the show and not at all in between, a reasonable person might just consider that "filler" to be content lol.

Also, if somebody somehow could edit down and distribute Naruto (especially Shippuden) to remove all of the flashbacks and stretched parts of long scenes, I would recommend the show to literally everyone lol.

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

you waste time on bad stuff because you don't realize that it's bad or you think it's going to get good. I never watched naruto

it really annoys me how unknown ar tonelico is, but I understand why it is that way. in AT1, the worldbuilding can be pretty confusing and overwhelming in the beginning, and it is just so unapologetically anime, and the plot doesn't really follow a 3 act structure, it just kind of goes, and then in AT2 all of that is turned up to 11

Edited by Breloomancer

-Me

That's what I was thinking! It needs a chop order, or a Kai version. 

Spoiler

I'm talking to someone who is falling into a lot of 'tropes', and I'm laying it on kinda heavy, or at least heavier than I usually do, that they need to look past all the dramatics and recognize that it's a distraction. They mention in passing, "oh yeah we have depression" and stuff like that, but they only want to talk on and on about the chance that maybe the host isn't really the host, but a tulpa replica, and talking about how terrifying it was that the host threatened other headmates with knives in wonderland, stuff like that. I hope it doesn't come across like a "u r stoopid" thing, because really I just want to be like.... "I been there! It's a trap! Turn around now! Get away from whoever is modeling these behaviors for you! The constant validation is a trap!" 

Our Thread

Wanting people to realize they're just being silly and making their own problems by being too immersed in nonsense is my favorite Tulpa.info pastime

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.