[Game] Last one to post wins!

Pleeb

There must be a way to simulate trills on percussion instrument

I asked Gavin and he said "You want to make it vibrate? That's how it makes noise in the first- you can't just make the vibrations vibrate." but I think he's wrong somehow.

That's what wahwah holes are for, but mine doesn't have wahwah holes. 

The world is far, the world is wide; the man needs someone by his side. 

Our Thread

• Replies 152.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Breloomancer

• TB

• Ice909

• Luminesce

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it's all about the sticking technique. drumerolls aren't too hard if that is what you are talking about, it's just fast doubles

Edited by Breloomancer

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

No, kalimba- the classical piece I'm learning calls for trills that are pretty important to the piece, but I don't know how to replicate it on the thing. 

You know, if you had two keys with the same tuning, you could probably play them in close succession to get an effect like that, but I can't do that.

Our Thread

I think I figured an acceptable alternative out. https://voca.ro/1eVAQXqMaopS

I'm really mixed on tablature. I really struggle to come up with a single situation where I'd prefer or recommend tabs over learning sheet music. I remember the very first time I had my hands on a violin, they first taught us all the strings with numbers, and I had them down pat and set in my head as the numbers, and then they last-minute said "oh hahah now remember the letter names!" and I was suddenly incapable again because I had to functionally relearn to read it all. Why not just start with the letters??? I know it's a little harder if it doesn't start at 1, but come on. The letters go upward too- no one thinks B comes after C. You can even stick colored dots on the instrument and then put colored dotes or lines on the goddamn sheet music. 

The only application I can really think of is for very much novelty instruments and very simple tunes, like saying "1 1 2 1 4 3" for "Happy Birthday To You". My ocarina and kalimba both came with tabs like that, I never really looked at them. But I'm in this kalimba server and I feel like it's such a disservice for people who have gotten used to tabs instead of learning to read basic sheet music, and so now they're just mooching around asking "Does anyone know where I can find tabs for this? Tabs for that?" If you want to play anything other than the poppiest of pop songs and children's nursery rhymes on the kalimba, you'll need to learn to read basic sheet music. 

The kalimbas are almost always tuned to C, they only have 17 keys (generally) and no sharps or flats. Most of the music will only use one note at a time. Many kalimbas (mine included) have the freaking notes ENGRAVED on the tines! And they're all in order! It's not even like my english-style ocarina where there's non-straightforward fingering for the different notes. Spend twenty minutes memorizing this:

ysWfCxqu7WeB19f3hTGDtnBRPfjMEuNAbfQc34U5-0WOv7scrovp4W2dlG8t1aEM3OfcPfTB-ENMzCIoRslLz87Q-uP7H7t94Dz-.png

And learn how to google "musescore lead sheet [song of your choosing] in C" and you'll never have to mooch around for tabs again! 

Our Thread

Bre, that code will never compile. Well it might, but I doubt it'll do much.

Yo, my name is Sean and I'm the host of 2 tulpas: Sente and Mae. You'll know when they're talking because Sente talks in yellow text and Mae talks in blue text.