[Game] Last one to post wins!

Pleeb

I very rarely see anyone irl see anyone saying things like that. I only started seeing people using "gay" as an insult in middle school. people would say "shit", "fuck", and such regularly though

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

• Replies 152.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Breloomancer

• TB

• Ice909

• Luminesce

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It made me very uncomfortable growing up to hear other kids cuss because I was taught to not cuss by my mom, and I can't do it without cringing. It only happens if I am extremely angry but even then I feel bad about it afterwards

Creation for creation's sake.

More of my drawings

Resident Dojikko

9 hours ago, BearBeaBeau said:

Well they literally start with the definition I gave, "to slow"... Anyways, I wasn't talking etymology specifically when I said what it meant. "Mentally retarded" has referred to down's and similar disorders for a LONG time (at least my entire life) - what else would you imply it means in the modern era, low IQ?

The whole reason the term became offensive is because of its newer association with mentally handicapped people. Otherwise it would've remained an insult along the lines of a more offensive "idiot".

9 hours ago, BearBeaBeau said:

I haven't heard it in a long time but Ido's host is older and in Germany

I personally associate use of the term - when in places people clearly disfavor use of it - with 4chan types. Among other words people are greatly offended by, 4chan and similar communities' users really don't care. But sure, I guess you could say it's because they're in Germany...

4 hours ago, Breloomancer said:

that's such a weird thing to be in favor of. I get that it's probably mostly just a principal thing to do with how you think language aught to work, but it is still just so strange. and I don't really get how the semantic drift of other words meant that this word should experience the same semantic drift. anyway, https://xkcd.com/2247/

Well it's clearly not a hill I wanted to die on because I stopped using it. It was just because I feel choosing to make it inoffensive takes power away from it as an insult, thus helping people who are offended by it in the long run. But instead it's become the new N word in certain places, often schools, which is the opposite of making it inoffensive - giving it MORE power to hurt people.

2 hours ago, TB said:

Being called an idiot or retard a lot while growing up is partially why I am the way I am now. It made me very insecure of my intelligence

To be clear, straight-up being insulted will hurt your self-esteem and possibly self-image, no matter what words are used. The reason "retard" was deemed so offensive in the last couple decades though was its association with mentally handicapped people, not because it was "just really mean ):"

1 hour ago, BearBeaBeau said:

We also called eachother 'fag' a lot in early grade school. 'You're such a fag.' It wasn't well received when I called my older brother that.

The "rougher" kids in my schools used that a lot. Similarly to "retard", it's recently been deemed incredibly offensive because of its specificity. However, it's close enough to racist insults in its use that it's more worth just-not-using than trying to generalize the connotations of, IMO. Though again, 4chan adores this word, especially as a suffix, lol.

1 hour ago, Cat_ShadowGriffin said:

Nobody used that word when I was in school, I think grade school's favorite was the n word.

Welcome to the south, where black people are still treated like they're secretly inferior to whites. For the record, the N word is the single most offensive word you can possibly say in most of the United States, and we all see its use as an expletive in the south as barbaric. (Also, the "south" really refers to the south-east of the US - from at least North Carolina and ending around Texas)

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

4 minutes ago, Luminesce said:

Well it's clearly not a hill I wanted to die on because I stopped using it.

fair enough. but are you lying on any soft hills?

4 minutes ago, Luminesce said:

It was just because I feel choosing to make it inoffensive takes power away from it as an insult, thus helping people who are offended by it in the long run. But instead it's become the new N word in certain places, often schools, which is the opposite of making it inoffensive - giving it MORE power to hurt people.

so long as there are people who wish to offend, there will be words that will be used to offend people. if you try to get rid of that with retard, then it will just spread to other words instead. personally, I prefer it being quarantined to the words already affected than risking it spreading to new words

-Me

I don't like lying in grass, because I don't like ants or spiders being on me or in my clothes. That preference really severely limits the number of things I can do outside, honestly

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

I thought the problem was less that people use words to offend people, and more that the word they choose to use as an insult is a word that is supposed to describe a type of person dealing with something that isn't a fault of their own. Like if you are actually mentally retarded, it probably sucks seeing other people use it as a word to put someone down

Also, my little sister was severely mentally handicapped, and so anytime someone used a word like that to insult someone, it was very upsetting to my mother

Edited by TB

Creation for creation's sake.

More of my drawings

Resident Dojikko

Well I guess, it goes either way, as long as a word naturally applies specifically to a certain trait/person. "Gay" as an insult, for example, problematic for the reason you said. Though they stopped using any form of "retard" to refer to people with mental handicaps as far as I know. That was probably the right thing to do, dissociating the word from who it specified? But it still just creates a type of "slur", I dunno.

Anyways, my argument for this sort of thing (mostly @ Bre) is that most insults we have were at one point specific and pointed in their meaning and connotations, but became generalized over time. That's why I bring up dumb/idiot/moron as examples of words that have basically lost all meaning aside from being generic insults meaning "stupid". Just a random word to compare to, even stupid itself comes from "stupor". 

tl;dr words that specifically insult specific people are bad

Edited by Luminesce

every time a word like that loses it's edge, a new one gains a similar edge. the only way to make a lasting change on a language is to change its speakers

Edited by Breloomancer

-Me

That's an easy statement to make, but it doesn't sit right with me. I don't think it's actually true that disarming a word's offensiveness causes an exact counteraction in another word gaining offensiveness. 

The concept of "If people want to use a word to mean something, they will find or create a way" is true, but I don't think it's a zero-sum game.

On the word retard... WebMD says " A person is considered intellectually disabled if they have an IQ of less than 70 to 75." Where mental retardation was the old term for what they now call intellectually disabled. So it's not specific to Down syndrome. Sorry if this was already mentioned and I missed it.

https://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/intellectual-disability-mental-retardation#1

Host: YukariTelepath

Tulpas: Aya, Ruki

Imposition log