[Game] Last one to post wins!

Pleeb

(edited)

[J] I was about to say... "pagan" is, in many ways, just a way to say "non-juedochristian religion." 

And it was a lot less "stomp stomp" and a lot more of the masses actively working their own ancient traditions into the new Christianity, often to the chagrin of the religious leaders. The leaders weren't sitting down and saying, "Candlemas, but, like, Jesus!" The masses wanted to keep doing their traditions- "I guess we're Christian now, but to hell if I'm not buying the usual seasonal treats I was raised with!" It wasn't like Christians only outbred pagans. Pagans converted to Christianity en masse- for largely political/social reasons, when you talk about a macro scale...

Even today, a lot of Christian religious leaders look down upon non-Christian holiday traditions. It's laypeople who propagate them. Christmas is a good example of this, really- even if you aren't Christian, and you don't go to church or do anything Christian on Christmas,  you probably do a tree and presents and buy seasonal things. It's such a big holiday, churches would be remiss to not make it into a church function. They do the same for Mother's Day, Thanksgiving, Halloween, etc. Leaving out how Christmas and Easter specifically are meant to be Christian nowadays.

I forget where it comes from, but there was the quote:

"If you (a missionary) come across a group of people who worship around a tree in the woods, don't cut the tree down. Instead, consecrate the tree to God and have them keep meeting in the same place as you minister to them."

Edit:

To try to answer the "are they still Christians" thing... this is how denomonations start LOL

I'm going to try out some new churches on the campus. I've been told to try the methodists. I just want a place that sings the old hymns and reads straight from the Bible and doesn't try to get woke and political and caught up into current events- but still has people my age I cab befriend... Many churches don't actually sing old hymns or read more than a line or two from the Bible, if you've never or rarely been to a church you might be surprised. At least I was. They do weird Christian pop songs and the sermons sound like motivational Instagram ads... but those churches also tend to have more young people and community activities. 

I get it... It's pretty scary when the pastor reads from the Bible and passionately warns you if you abuse your children or spouse you're going to hell.... a lot easier to go to a church that just pats everyone on the back. Which do you think attracts more immortality? 

Edited by Cassidy

• Replies 152.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Breloomancer

• TB

• Ice909

• Luminesce

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i don't imagine that either of them attract any immortality since there are no immortal humans yet afaik. as far as immorality goes though, i don't know, but i think that avoiding doing bad things because you'll go to hell is the wrong reason to not do bad things; you shouldn't do bad things because they hurt people. that's not even a morality equation, it's just avoiding things that would cause you harm, it's purely self interested

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

it feels really bad knowing some (maybe a lot of) people just don't inherently value the happiness and well-being of others

but I feel like a human will naturally value that, if all of their needs and own well-being are met... normally the people that don't have had hard lives or other experiences that made them fall back to "selfish"/just-survive kinda philosophy

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

I was wondering "but what about rich people who are very well off?" and I figured it had to do with the values you usually have to develop to get rich, but your thing fits too

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

i don't think that simply trying to act morally is sufficient to truly be moral though. if it were, ethics as a branch of philosophy would not be particularly interesting

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

"though"? what'd I say that had to do with just acting morally?

also if that wasn't clear I was implying rich people who are very well off tend to contradict what I said about how humans who have their needs met naturally shift to caring about more than just themselves

I think what you said/the concept of recognizing other people as the same as you is probably important too then since "people who have been hurt by others or are necessarily focused on helping themselves" doesn't account for everyone who don't value others' happiness and well-being, but that plus "seeing others as lesser, undeserving or just different" probably accounts for almost everyone

then all that's left are people who really just don't care about other people at all, but misanthropes have obvious enough problems we don't really need to pinpoint them

(edited)

oh hey Bre, we heard this song on an album many months ago and got the youtube video to send it to you but forgot, I guess Lumi thought this sounded like a song you might like (I guess it reminded him of Mili back then, but listening to it now it just reminds me of.. the group it's made by lol)

(the lyrics are in the comments)

Edited by Lucilyn

(edited)

[J] 

I'll stand by what I said. What church do vampires go to?

It sounds like the start of a joke.

Covid rant

[hidden]

This covid stuff is really wearing on me. They're making us mask in all indoor locations EVEN IF FULLY VACCINATED. Just sent out the memo. Masks in dorms, classrooms (even though some of my classes were already moved to be online!), dining halls. I would rather they require literally everyone, vaccinated or not, to get tested and show a negative result than make us all keep wearing masks when vaccinated. The dorm is going to be where I live- do I really have to wear a mask in my own bedroom? Am I going to have to wear a mask for my PE class that's in a gym?

I knew some people who got covid months, lordy, over a year ago. I don't know anyone who's gotten this delta variant- I haven't heard of anyone getting covid, even as I've been much more socially active, in many months. I'm sure some people are somewhere, but are we still at a place where we need pandemic-level protections in place? They aren't going to eradicate covid19. They don't make everyone wear masks when a few college kids get chickenpox, or even mumps- or even measles! It's really bugging me. I graduated high school in a pandemic and now I'm going to start college and have to make all my first impressions in a mask, probably sitting out of earshot from the entire classroom. 

I threw away all my good masks months ago, I've just been wearing disposables when I have to see the doctor 😩

My political beliefs have shifted noticeably over the pandemic... Well, and religious too... It's hard to play the What If game because I had some pre-existing grievances, but if my old UU nonreligious 'church' fared better (they have not had in-person service in well over a year and my mother's church friends forgot she existed), I probably would not have become Christian and been baptized, at least not now.

I used to think, "What will I tell them?" But now I know I don't need to tell them anything. They'll have forgotten me. I look different too lol, I've gotten my driver's license and cut my hair (it was almost to my shoulders again 18 months or so ago! Betya didn't know.), grown sideburns, gotten a farmer's tan, gained 15 pounds and an inch or so... ahhh, how things change.... I want to be 145lbs by the time classes start. And it's not fat lol! It's work! And creatine! 

Legit wouldn't be surprised if people think I'm a total stranger if I return... 

[/hidden]

Tldr J can go on a shaving strike again because no one will notice

Has YouTube deleting private videos from 2015 and prior impacted the TouHou music scene? 

Edited by Cassidy
Formatting