Mass Leaving Thread

Nobillis

Couldn't help but do a bit of musing after reading a few of the posts here. I don't want to get too deep, as I feel doing so will just entrench me in a bunch of unnecessary discontent and other bad vibes. But a few idea I wanted to throw out there:

- Ido and Iscariot aren't wrong when they say the place isn't rigorous enough to be truly called scientific. But I think they missed the other element that would have inspired the slogan "For Science". That is, the element of discovery and exploration. When the site started, it was less stoic and straight face research, and more a bunch of guys (and a few gals), going on an adventure, finding out if a bunch of crazy guys up in a mountain were telling the truth about one of their techniques. Science also has this vibe of discovery, the joy of learning about something previously unknown, thus the slogan. Unfortunately, that sense of discovery and adventure has been decreasing: there's a lot of information that's available, and newer users are less interested in a cool mental journey, and more in cold hard results.

- Because of the nature of this particular adventure, this place and its use are limited. It's a temporary place, not a permanent one. I don't say this out of malice or frustration, I say this out of simple observation. Its purpose, I think, are for people who are unfamiliar with things to document their journey alongside the like-minded, so they can keep their strength and continue their work till they reach their goal, and go beyond. Once they meet a certain level of ability, the place really has nothing to keep them here, unless they made friends of some sort. Really, it shouldn't. Kids don't stay in school forever, young adults don't stay in college forever (except for the ones that do), so folks must come to a point where they leave, and walk on their own. To me, it's even necessary for further growth and ability to do this, something I myself have experienced when I was for a year.

- The folks that stick around the community like having a place where they are among the like-minded. It's not a complicated concept, nor is it some sort of roundabout sin, unless you consider 4chan as the seat of virtue, it's just what folks do. Not something to go deep in to.

That's my piece. So for the folks leaving and such, I wish you well on your way: Happy Graduation~! :)

Sock Cottonwell's

Sketchbook, Journal, and Ask thread.

Peace

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. Everyone thinks the site is dying, so, get in line. Other people who have come here later seem to find reasons to stay, and that's basically as it should be. In the main I, personally, care about this place because it's the biggest source of information about tulpas on the internet, the sanest, etc. I want that to continue being the case. Of course the usual refrain would be, "You can try to fix it" but on the contrary, tulpa.info will never again be the 'old' tulpa.info, for better or for worse. Things change, I guess, and it's easy to see all change as for the worse.

You should find your own reason for staying here instead of asking others to convince you. It's clear that the community has changed with time, yes, meaning that we're going to see some positives and some negatives, but you can still make the best out of what is left. You can still create your own threads and discuss tulpa-related things in an effort to spark up some activity and get people thinking, but it's not going to feel like it did a few years back, no matter what you do. Like Sock said, that sense of discovery isn't as visible these days, and people just want to have their mind dolls as soon as possible; I'm unsure if this sort of thing can be salvaged or not, but we can still keep this as a nice space for people who are curious and want to try out new things.

I’ve been lurking back here for quite some time after I left and to be honest, I’m not surprised to hear how many people have been leaving this site. Everyone, of course, has their reasons that do not pertain to the reason I feel some people are rejecting this place but I feel I must say this. It’s been bugging me for a while and I feel that it needs to be addressed. And not just here but the tulpa community as a whole.

Now, the main page of the site states: "It's currently unproven whether or not tulpas are truly sentient, but in this community, we treat them as such."

From my experience and lurking on this site, I have seen this to be a false statement for the most part.

It appears to be a common thing that people are very harsh and towards those who do believe their tulpas to be sentient upon other things.

Now, I do not believe that the individual I'm soulbonded to that I mentioned in the past was a tulpa but the tulpa community was the first, I thought, would be open to my experiences but it just turned out to be another community that follows a structured social standard and treat those who don’t experience or act a certain way as a troll and a plague to the forums.

I eventually found out about fictionkin and moved away from the tulpa community since it something I strongly felt associated with and the community is more open to my experiences and lifestyle. But beside the point…

This judgment against other people is a reason that limits the kind of people that are interested or have tulpas and creates a toxic community. And I think this is a reason as to why people keep leaving this site.

I left the site before because I was called a whiny bitch by user on the irc because I talked about Shadow (my soulbound) and commented that I was seeking attention which whether you believe it or not, I wasn’t. I felt very offended since it was only my first couple days here. I then read mistgod's stuff that related and how much people criticized him just because he believed that his tulpa is a sentient being. That mostly made my experience with the tulpa community unappealing and I felt 'lied' to since I thought a tulpamancer’s goal was to create a sentient being.

I think that when people shove the hard-core science down other's throats and not try to be open and accepting to those who take a more metaphysical and spiritual site to tulpamency is what creates a toxic environment. This is a basic thing that can apply to ever sort of community.

Yes, there is Tulpa.im and a metaphysical category on the tulpa reddit page but it’s extremely dry and inactive as opposed to this site.

Of course not all people who are tulpamancers (whether or not they believe in sentience) are like that. But from my experiences, and first impressions with this site makes me think of it that way. I can understand being skeptical or not a believer in sentience but I at least think it’s more respectful to treat people the same kindness who do believe in it as you’d probably what them to give back to you.

I don't know if that attitude of this judgment against those still exists here or not but these where my thoughts.

That’s all I had to say, goodbye.

Guest Anonymous

I don't get what your sentience rant is about, to be honest.

Esterina (my tulpasoulbondwhateverwe'renottoosure) and me aren't even mentally connected, meaning she's not "only" sentient, but also completely separate from me were it not for the fact that we sort of, y'know, live in the same body. Which, as an additional side note, she has a direct connection with, just like me, meaning she perceives and interprets the physical world as independently and directly as I do (instead of, for example, being mentally connected to me and experiencing the physical world through me).

And there's a good bunch more things that are "out of the norm" about her.

And we are very open about all this.

And we always were very open about it.

You see where this is going:

We never got sh*t for any of this stuff we so openly shared and explained, and people treat Esterina as her own person.

So, yeah... I don't really know what you're talking about.

(Not to mention I don't really see why you post a goodbye post - didn't you say you were a lurker, meaning absolutely inactive within the community anyway?)

Greets,

AG

I then read mistgod's stuff that related and how much people criticized him just because he believed that his tulpa is a sentient being.

I have to say, I'm completely dumbfounded that you came under this impression. Mistgod was largely criticized because he didn't believe his, or tulpas in general were sentient. Although his views on such matters flopped back and forth constantly, and despite what he has said, his views were not the main reason for his criticism.

It appears to be a common thing that people are very harsh and towards those who do believe their tulpas to be sentient upon other things.

I can only imagine you haven't looked around very much here, or somehow you got the complete wrong impression. People who don't believe that tulpas are sentient are in the vast minority. There are some users here who don't believe that they are, and that's fine, but the majority of people here believe that tulpas are sentient and autonomous.

I think that when people shove the hard-core science down other's throats and not try to be open and accepting to those who take a more metaphysical and spiritual site to tulpamency is what creates a toxic environment. This is a basic thing that can apply to ever sort of community.

The scientific viewpoint is largely what makes this community what it is. This forum was created as a way to facilitate the discussion of tulpas in a scientific light. We have a metaphysics section, however, so that we do not have to turn people away, in general, because of the views that they have on tulpas. If you talk about metaphysical-type things outside of the appropriate sections, you should expect to receive a lot of skepticism. If you didn't, then there wouldn't be much scientific-minded about this place at all.

There are other tulpa communities that are more oriented towards metaphysical things and other types of "multiplicity", so one of the other communities might simply be a better fit for you.

Having a scientific mindset towards tulpas is why this forum exists. If you don't subscribe to the same beliefs, then it's just not the community for you. I don't think the views that this community represents should be criticized any more than you think yours should be.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

I have to say, I'm completely dumbfounded that you came under this impression. Mistgod was largely criticized because he didn't believe his, or tulpas in general were sentient. Although his views on such matters flopped back and forth constantly, and despite what he has said, his views were not the main reason for his criticism.

I can only imagine you haven't looked around very much here, or somehow you got the complete wrong impression. People who don't believe that tulpas are sentient are in the vast minority. There are some users here who don't believe that they are, and that's fine, but the majority of people here believe that tulpas are sentient and autonomous.

The scientific viewpoint is largely what makes this community what it is. This forum was created as a way to facilitate the discussion of tulpas in a scientific light. We have a metaphysics section, however, so that we do not have to turn people away, in general, because of the views that they have on tulpas. If you talk about metaphysical-type things outside of the appropriate sections, you should expect to receive a lot of skepticism. If you didn't, then there wouldn't be much scientific-minded about this place at all.

There are other tulpa communities that are more oriented towards metaphysical things and other types of "multiplicity", so one of the other communities might simply be a better fit for you.

Having a scientific mindset towards tulpas is why this forum exists. If you don't subscribe to the same beliefs, then it's just not the community for you. I don't think the views that this community represents should be criticized any more than you think yours should be.

I understand what you are saying. I guess from my first few hours of being here I just ran into some people who told me right away to find another site that suited my views once I mentioned my soulbound being a someone who is considered a character from a video game and my belief in the multiverse which really doesn't fall too well in the sciences.

I still feel much more comfortable being in a fictionkin community to be honest. I think it's more suited for me and I feel like I belong, but thanks for clearing things up.

You're welcome; I'm glad I could help you to understand. I hope there aren't too hard of feelings, and that you can find a place in which you feel you belong.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

Yeah, discussion of sentience is a thing, and a rather necessary one at that. But we generally believe tulpas to be sentient when fully developed, and we also have rules against going around calling peoples' tulpas fake. You are free to discuss why you think tulpas aren't really sentient, but as soon as you claim such a thing, that's when people get upset. Same for the other way around, we generally believe tulpas to be sentient, but if in a discussion you completely assume such with no evidence you're going to be argued against.

But that sort of thing almost never happens to people not looking for it. Discussion threads are very obvious I think, nobody comes to your progress report to tell you how tulpas aren't real. And if they do you can report them. The forum as a whole is not any one thing, rather each thread sets its own precedent for who and what it wants to discuss. Some threads are as simple and innocent as "What sorts of things do you and your tulpa do in your wonderland?" while others are right from the start "Tulpa Sentience - Illusion or Reality?" and such. Also don't make a thread like that or I'm going to lecture you.

There's no reason to stay if you don't want to. But the point of tulpa.info is simply that it's (in some's opinion) the best place to discuss roughly anything tulpa related. Old members who leave tend to do so because there isn't enough "good" discussion for them, but the point of tulpa.info is not to entertain knowledgeable users, it's to teach new ones. If they feel like making a serious thread for serious discussion on a serious topic... they can. If they don't then they have no right to complain, but every right to leave.

Also to note yet again, we have almost nothing to do with the IRC. We share a few members, but what goes on in either is completely unrelated. A large amount of people in each dislikes the other for their own reasons, too. We're not enemies or strangers, but we are certainly not the same place.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

I'd like to ask any mod or admin to please quickly take the time to delete my account.

Also, Esterina decided that, now that I leave for good, she too sees no point anymore in keeping her account, and wants it deleted as well.

(She'll make a post below mine to confirm this, of course.)

Alright, got all my stuff settled here!

My reasons for this decision would make this post very negative -

- so instead of talking about that, lemme instead say thanks again to all the neat people we met here, who helped us out when Rina and I had just met each other!

You were a great help to us, really. We're grateful! :)

So, to those who we won't meet again:

Stay healthy, eat your vegetables and have a good life! :)

Baibai,

AG