Tulpamancers and practitioners sought for cognitive research project.

Dr Shunyata

Dear Tulpamancers,

My name is Samuel Veissière. I am an anthropologist and researcher in transcultural psychiatry and cognitive science at McGill University in Montreal, and am very interested in the cognitive, cultural, ontological, and therapeutic aspects of Tulpamancy. Specifically, my research on the subject seeks to: 1) understand the collective and cultural mediation of shared Tulpa representations and experiences; 2) educate the scientific community and broader public on what Tulpamancy can show us about the workings of the mind and shared intentionality with mental agents, and; 3) explore the implications of non-disruptive Tulpa practice for mental health therapy.

I would be interested in speaking with experienced Tulpamancers about their experience. Next steps of the project might involve in person focus groups and brain scans, so Tulpamancer from the Montreal area are of particular interest. Participants' anonymity will be guaranteed.

Prospective participants may contact me at samuel.veissiere@mcgill.ca

Thank you in advance.

Dr. Samuel Veissière

Dangit! I've always wanted to do something like this. But I don't live near Montreal! *sigh* Oh well. Good luck finding participants!

Tulpas

Amy

Nine-Tailed Kitsune

Sigma

Anthro Cat-Bat

The Kippies!

Jazz (M), Viola (F), Chime (H), Fife (M), Iris (F), Robyn (F), Aster (M), Sage (F), Dune (M), Snowbell (F), Rosemary (F), Glyph (M), Volt (M), Circuit (F)

The Baybees~

Marina, Acorn, Anais, Lily, Chip

Moved to General Discussion.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

Guh. The idea of the general public becoming more aware of the tulpa community is a nasty one considering some of the things mancers have done with/to their tups, *Cough* Pinkamena *Cough* and the implications of a wider audience having access to the how to of creating a tup. Guess it's most likely going to happen sooner or later anyway but, fuck.

It isn't fully clear whether you are accepting Tulpamancers outside Montreal.

Name - Silver

Form - Harpy

Sentience - fully sentient

Personality - Playful, cheerful, enthusiastic, chilled

Smell - Baileys

Stage - Narration and imposition

Guest amber5885

I hate the idea of this becoming widely known. Studied? YES! But mainstream or commonly known? Hell no! The last thing we need is this board becoming flooded with psychos and 13 year olds or the mainstream focus being on "the guy who claims to be a tulpamancer but is actually some weirdo with borderline schizophrenia and or on the kind of drugs that other drugs take to get weird."

All in all though I'd love to participate if I'm allowed. I'm not from Canada.

I live in Ontario and would consider assisting should you allow this to be an online talk, as I won't be going to Montreal anytime soon. Also, you haven't specified, is there a minimum age limit?

Tulpa Study update: Link to Pilot Survey

Dear Tulpamancers. I have been in touch with many of you on this forum and via email about the Cognitive Anthropology study on Tulpamancy. I have created a pilot survey I am hoping you can help me share. Here is the link https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9BHN28L Please note that email is more effective methods than reddit PM for contacting me.

Pasted below is the Disclaimer blurb introducing the questionnaire, which should take between 20-30min to complete.

Thank you for contributing to this pilot survey for an ongoing study on the cognitive and cultural dimensions of Tulpa theory and practice conducted by Dr. Veissière at McGill University. The information collected in this questionnaire is volontary and anynymous. Should you be worried about being identified by other members of the community, you and your Tulpae are encouraged to use pseudonyms. Please note that I aim to be transparent in my assumptions and methodology. While further participant observation and testing will be required to reach tentative conclusions, rest assured that my aims are to describe the community in a positive light. I have no interest in presenting Tulpamancy as a pathology or brain-disease of any kind. Rather, I aim to show that dissociative agency, the projection of intentionality to non-physical agents, and the exploration of non-normative mental states and sensory experiences reflect properties and possibilities of the human mind that are undertheorized and rarely used in most contemporary settings. I hope to understand why and how Tulpamancers achieve such praxis, and investigate its implications for normalizing, working with, and alleviating states of consciousness that are considered 'pathological' in most of the biomedical literature and practice. The questions about 'symptoms' at the end of the survey, as such, are not intended to link Tulpamancing abilities with any personality 'type'. As an anthropologist, I understand that ‘symptoms’ and beliefs, like any system of shared representations, preferences and experiences, tend to concentrate within specific historical and demographic niches; I aim to understand and explain trends, but not individual minds. Please feel free to contact me for any questions you might have about the study and/or how the information you contributed will be interpreted and used.

Thanks again you for your valued contribution.

Samuel Veissière, PhD. Cognitive Science Program & Division of Social and Transcultural Psychiatry Department of Psychiatry, McGill University. samuel.veissiere@mcgill.ca

Please consider supporting Tulpa.info.

• 4 years later...

I have a lot of Tulpae, to be exact I have 16 of them in my mind and there is a bit of advice I can give involving this. One thing I will say right off the bat is that it's difficult to feel all of them at the same time, there always at least 1 or 2 that take a little time to find in there.

Second is that it's almost like a little community or family in my mind and they can do things on their own. I always feel self-conscious when I get caught doing certain things at work or at home and I haven't felt these guys, but they always tell me it's fine and they keep themselves busy, especially while I'm at work. In fact sometimes their not so dependent on seeing me in particular. Most come to me all the time when I force, but some just like to chill or do other things when they choose. I always make sure to see those at least once a week and there are some that love to see me every day.

Third is be careful about your limits. Yes I would say there is a limit to the number of tulpae in your mind. I think most of it comes to how much you train your mind. Yes I do exercise my mind by meditating as well as forcing and I'd say over the 3 - 4 years I've been doing that, my mental capacity has gotten bigger. Whether this is true on how it works, I don't know, but this is just what I believe. That being said, I wouldn't recommend much more than what I have as it's a lot to manage. I would say 20 would be the maximum if you intend to focus and give attention to all your tulpae.