question

Guest Anonymous

This is why it's generally good to keep this a secret unless you know someone will be receptive of the idea.

Host: Sakura

Tulpa: Sarah (began June 5th, 2014), Alyx (Began July 23rd, 2014)

Our shared tumblr

note: usually browsing on mobile, so cannot quote properly

Guest Anonymous

I hate to say its the only option but I really think you're behind a rock and hard place but really, you can't likely convince them it's a good thing and telling them its an imaginary friend also caries negative implications like Ashmo said. I hate to be the devil on your should but seriously what choice do you have but lie? I would wager if you try to convince them they will get defensive and think of you as 'resisting', but that's just my opinion... I just don't really want anything bad to happen to one of us. How'd you even get in this situation if you don't mind sharing?

Sorry for replying kind of late. I got into this situation because I manage a Deviantart group for people who claim to have a tulpa; it features tulpa-related art and such. I had over a hundred drawings of my tulpa up there. Anyway my mum checked my internet history and questioned what a tulpa was, she discovered by doing some research on google and was pretty concerned. Now my family thinks my tulpa is a form of multiple personality disorder or something. They've seen a lot of films with imaginary friends that are dangerous, like Hide and Seek and Donnie Darko, assuming that my tulpa is like that. :(

my parents apparently tulpamanced way before i was born so my family seems to have tulpamancing in the blood line.. or a form of it.. when i said i was a spirit keeper and a tulpamancer they just said "oh.. we did that too, it's the best!" caught me off guard.

You're lucky; my family and friends have all seen Supernatural one too many times and now think my tulpa is dangerous.

get your butt to the DMV-5 website, look up schizophrenia, check out all the diagnosing criteria and if you don't fit it (which you won't btw), then show the criteria to your parents.

They likely don't know what it is beyond their fears of how it relates to your situation.

Thank you for the adivice, I really appreciate it :)

Why did you told them about it in the first place?

I didn't, they found out when they found my tulpa art group on Deviantart, I'm the owner of the group. :\

My advice is generally not to tell people who you don't think you can trust to keep fucking quiet about it, but that's not an option here, so a logically sound argument should do quite nicely.

I'll do a little snippet here on that.

Insane by definition, means to be in a state of mind that prevents normal perception, behavior, or social interaction.

Having a Tulpa does not mean ( for the most of us anyway ) that one cannot perceive things normally, nor does it mean that your behavior, and it also doesn't mean that you cannot interact socially. Since none of these things are true, by what meaningful definition are you insane?

"The Question is not who is going to let me, its who is going to stop me"~ Ayn Rand

Guest Anonymous

My advice is generally not to tell people who you don't think you can trust to keep fucking quiet about it, but that's not an option here, so a logically sound argument should do quite nicely.

m8 she didn't do it by choice

Well I would suggest that you explain to them what a tulpa is. I haven't seen Supernatural like you say they have, but I know its a tv show involving fictional creatures. Hmm, let's look into it.

A tulpa is the given name to anything formed through the meditation (focusing) of an idea. The theory is that if you meditate hard enough on an idea, it will materialize.

Well that is a great start to the article.

The first being in 8.08 Hunteri Heroici, when cartoon physics begin to manifest in the real world, it is later revealed to be because of a elderly psychokinetic by the name of Fred Jones who has begun to lose control of his abilities because of his deteriorating cognitive faculties. The second incident was during 9.15 #THINMAN when Dean accuses the Ghostfacers of cooking up the legend of Thinman with a tulpa.

Well great. Now we've learned that your family thinks you're creating people that could kill others. I would start by telling them what Supernatural is: A fictional tv show that, in the efforts to keep it exciting, will smudge the truth regarding things. Inform them as to what a tulpa is, a hallucination. http://www.reddit.com/r/Tulpas/wiki/index has a good, if biased explanation. For some reason wikipedia says that tulpas can become physical, which is a load of absolute bullfuckingshit.

If anything, I would tell them this. You cannot create something, especially a person, out of pure physical thought. There is no worshiping or cult-like attitudes in creating a tulpa, only love and care. Alecto won't take influence you or take control of your body, and it certainly won't influence you to kill people like the movies they've seen. Movies blur reality for the sake of enjoyment, and that people with serious problems are going to do messed up things. You don't have serious problems, but if they want, they can send you to a shrink and confirm that you don't have any issues.

Oh and use incognito mode when browsing these kinds of sites.

Edit:

Well when your book Lucid's summary is this:

Suppose you had a very close friend? You've known him since childhood; you did everything together. What if this friend could do things no human could ever do, like manipulate the minds of people? Suppose you had to keep him a secret, hide him away from people who want to study him like a lab rat? ...Suppose this friend is something you created within your own mind? In this fictional allegory for true events, you'll learn how loyal imaginary friends can be, and just how powerful the mind really is.

Okay well this makes things complicated, since you're somewhat doubling back on what you've already said.

Building on Jimmy's final point, If they point to how he's portrayed in your book, go back to the fiction argument. I assume Alecto knows he's not the character of the book. The book is a fictional portrayal of him, much like how an actor is not the character he plays. He doesn't have magic powers, it's just a book.

Now secondly there's your pollution advocacy. Without passing judgment, some people might see it as a sign of mental instability. Advocating pollution is a very abnormal stance, and abnormality is stereotypically associated with some mental disorder. Not saying it is, just saying that's what people jump to when confronted with something far outside their scope of understanding. It could be that since your journal talks about your pollution adventures, they could be seeing alecto as a negative influence, convincing you to corrupt the environment. Or they could see your fascination with pollution as it's own form of instability, like how an arsonist sees beauty in fire, and assume your tulpa is just another symptom of the root disorder.

I guess it really depends on how your parents view your polluting. What do they think? if they have no problem with it, then at least you only have to convince them that alecto isn't some magic creature that kills people.

"The way is in training."

- Miyamoto Musashi

Guest Anonymous

Building on Jimmy's final point, If they point to how he's portrayed in your book, go back to the fiction argument. I assume Alecto knows he's not the character of the book. The book is a fictional portrayal of him, much like how an actor is not the character he plays. He doesn't have magic powers, it's just a book.

Now secondly there's your pollution advocacy. Without passing judgment, some people might see it as a sign of mental instability. Advocating pollution is a very abnormal stance, and abnormality is stereotypically associated with some mental disorder. Not saying it is, just saying that's what people jump to when confronted with something far outside their scope of understanding. It could be that since your journal talks about your pollution adventures, they could be seeing alecto as a negative influence, convincing you to corrupt the environment. Or they could see your fascination with pollution as it's own form of instability, like how an arsonist sees beauty in fire, and assume your tulpa is just another symptom of the root disorder.

I guess it really depends on how your parents view your polluting. What do they think? if they have no problem with it, then at least you only have to convince them that alecto isn't some magic creature that kills people.

My parents have no idea about my eco-sinning, if they knew they'd send me away, they're serious environmentalists and the idea of their own kid liking what they despise would really freak them out. :\

you shouldn't ever tell your parents about your tulpa. but since you already have, just pretend like you don't have him anymore and it was just a phase or something and you're over it. things can get really tedious when you decide to tell people about your tulpa. make sure they'll accept the idea way before you tell them you're a tulpamancer yourself, meaning introduce the idea to them and watch carefully at their reaction. Obviously if it's them thinking it's demons or a mental illness, or even if they're apathetic, then don't tell them. If they seem intrigued, go for it.

if you want to explain why it's not a mental illness, it's quite easy if they're willing to listen. I mean, no one can force themselves to have a mental illness. That would require you to rearrange the chemical make up of your brain. Anyone can make a tulpa, but no one can give themselves schizophrenia, multiple personality disorder etc. Tulpas are made through hard work and focus, while mental illnesses come from traumatizing life events or a disability.

Name-Yuki

Sex-Female

Form1-Arctic wolf, big blue eyes

Form2-Long white hair, blue eyes, pale skin, white wolf ears/tail, light blue jacket

Personality-Compassionate, calm, sarcastic, playful, protective, introverted

Stage-Sentient, vocal, working on possession