Servitors

Jeff0253

One way of looking at it, but by the definition I've been following the past few years, it's more something like a tulpa or a thoughtform, but more of a single-use thing with less intelligence or independence (And people tend to dissipate them once their task is completed)

They aren't sentient, though. The only thing making them similar to a tulpa is that they have a form and run on your brain. They're really just personifications of your own subconscious mental processes - those mental processes have to belong to either you or another person, and, since a servitor is non-sentient, it can't be considered a person itself - rather than some separate entity.

I come out of hibernation once in a blue moon.

They/them pronouns, please. (I've been using this display name since 2012 and people won't recognize me if I change it.)

Guest amber5885

He's only offering another definition of the word which doe actually pertain to this thread sk no harm done

Sorry about the brevity of my previous post -- I was driving as I posted it. I'll elaborate on it now.

Redback Spino probably didn't know that this community uses the word "servitor" differently. I didn't, when I first came here. I knew the word originally from H.P. Lovecraft, and was a bit confused when I next encountered the word in Chaos Magic, and confused again when I found it here.

In Chaos Magic, a servitor is a sort of sentient thoughtform. Prior to coming here, I always thought of a servitor as a sort of unimposed tulpa. I thought all tulpas must be imposed, because I knew the word "tulpa" from Alexandra David-Neel, and every time she talks about them in her book, she talks about something that everyone (not just the creator) can see.

The way that this community uses the terms, a tulpa does not have to be imposed, and a servitor can't be sentient. There is absolutely no reason that we use the words like that -- there is no source earlier than 2001 or so that uses them in such a way. This community uses both words wrong. I mean we're certainly not changing, because everyone likes those words now, and good luck getting even a fraction of them to change, but the words we should be using are more like "thoughtform" or "yidam" and "construct".

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

I wonder if I could make a servitor to assist with memory retrieval. I get stuck with that "tip of the tongue" feeling rather often.

I'm not sure if a servitor could do that for you. That "tip of the tongue" feeling IMO means that you just have the raw thought of that memory that you need to decode and that process would need some training to become faster. Sure, you could probably make a servitor do it in the "background" but I think that would need the training as well. In other words, having a servitor do that quickly for you would mean that you can consciously do it anuway.

But I might be totally wrong, I pretty often am :P

"Tulpamancy? It's a way of life.

More than one..."