-----

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moved to General Discussion.

Rest assured, you have missed very little--indeed, perhaps nothing, in the way of revolutionary ideas or advancements. You'd find that the discussion around here has been rather stagnant, and has mostly consisted of helping newbies with their repetitive questions, as per usual.

It would be nice to see a few more ideas pitched around. It is always nice to give thought to this phenomenon that we understand so little. A new way of looking at things might even lead to a new approach to tulpa development that might help people who would otherwise struggle.

But alas, there has been none of that, recently--at least from what I have seen.

Edit: Ah, damn. I somehow completely forgot about the Vice article. Had I remembered, I would have probably mentioned it.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

There's a research paper being written by an anthropologist from McGill University on tulpae, and he has posted the draft summary of the preliminary findings from his study online.

I come out of hibernation once in a blue moon.

They/them pronouns, please. (I've been using this display name since 2012 and people won't recognize me if I change it.)

I don't know--I'm one of the newbies Kiahdaj mentioned--I'm following a few people's progress reports and learning alot from their experiences. Seems pretty dang fascinating to me, but maybe it's old hat to others.

Maybe it's old hat to others because after all the pain they had to take great efforts to endure, all they can really do is find things to add value with the existence of their companions, presuming they still believe they still exist. They either (but not limited to):

- Slowly feel they've done things in vain, become bitter and a bit apathetic, potentially give up and leave, and maybe come back at it again

- Live a sedentary life while either afraid, or ambitious in speculations, but speculations that don't really create end results

- They keep seizing every moment they can to become better with them, even if the improvement is subtle (instead of seeing themselves plateauing), because their conquest for understanding themselves becomes insatiable, but they know when not to go overboard with themselves.

- They don't know why they're doing this anymore, and doubts start coming back full circle, and go back to the naivete they had as a newcomer, except the critical voice in their head will be more militant, and they can't be as suggestive to probabilities that could help them in the long run. All they want to see is that anyone that made more progress than they ever could be burned and turned into ashes to mask their insecurity that they can't get any better in an experience that may seem like blind faith for some.

- They make breakthroughs when they gave up, and they make a complete 180 in their opinion about this whole endeavor, and they move on with their lives with them

Not to hijack the thread, but Linkzelda, thank you for your excellent guide, which I have read--and am now re-reading to see how I might fit image streaming into my Tulpa practice!

Not to hijack the thread, but Linkzelda, thank you for your excellent guide, which I have read--and am now re-reading to see how I might fit image streaming into my Tulpa practice!

WhatisaPM.gif

Maybe it's old hat to others because after all the pain they had to take great efforts to endure, all they can really do is find things to add value with the existence of their companions, presuming they still believe they still exist. They either (but not limited to):

- Slowly feel they've done things in vain, become bitter and a bit apathetic, potentially give up and leave, and maybe come back at it again

- Live a sedentary life while either afraid, or ambitious in speculations, but speculations that don't really create end results

- They keep seizing every moment they can to become better with them, even if the improvement is subtle (instead of seeing themselves plateauing), because their conquest for understanding themselves becomes insatiable, but they know when not to go overboard with themselves.

- They don't know why they're doing this anymore, and doubts start coming back full circle, and go back to the naivete they had as a newcomer, except the critical voice in their head will be more militant, and they can't be as suggestive to probabilities that could help them in the long run. All they want to see is that anyone that made more progress than they ever could be burned and turned into ashes to mask their insecurity that they can't get any better in an experience that may seem like blind faith for some.

- They make breakthroughs when they gave up, and they make a complete 180 in their opinion about this whole endeavor, and they move on with their lives with them

So, same old, same old, right?

Really though, take a look at the Vice article. It reminds one why they came here in the first place.

I agree with Mr. Silver that a PM would’ve been better, but good luck!

WhatisaPM.gif

So, same old, same old, right?

Really though, take a look at the Vice article. It reminds one why they came here in the first place.

TL;DR at the bottom.

Though with the same old, same old, if there's a larger audience that comes from this, we may have people that give a decent backstory along with their tulpa endeavors that may want to distinguish themselves from the baseless (and often ignorant) assumption we may have of the individual being some brony-harem-6-tited-vore fanatics .

Although it’s not really something rare to see people give their personal life (at least a general statement), the same old, same old becomes something where we start seeing other people’s struggles that puts our own problems into perspective. For all we know, there could be members that could be renowned scientists, or a CEO, or just some person that used to be a zealot in a belief, only to see that their foundations can crumble down, and be built up to something they feel they could be happy with.

It’s just that for so long now, it’s been overdone as people wanting others to fix their girlfriends for tulpaing wrong, instead of the anecdotes that are used as a supplement in adding some character in those ad nauseum queries. And although these are general examples that can’t summarize the whole populace of this forum, and others:

If we knew that a certain individual was a single mother with children, and making ends meet just to survive, sometimes the advice we give may not be compatible for them. In this circumstance (being really loose here), saying something to that mother that they should go ahead and consider dissipating a tulpa may not be agreeable to her. One could argue that she would treat a tulpa as someone just as valuable and important as her children that she’s trying to be the pillar of support.

And if we happened to talk to a scientist keeping their name anonymous from the Internet, sometimes advice that suggests them to just make their own personal and subjective meaning into this may not be enough. In this circumstance, there should at least be an attempt to apply some reasoning behind our justifications to show them that they really have to stand their ground, and just go with it and do the whole trial-and-error thing.

And for someone who has a background in being a manager or some person that delegates with an empty personal life where he can’t even sustain his own family, finding potential ways they can make tulpas compatible (e.g. having a companion who could teach them to be a bit more humble, and not spam the superiority complex their daily lives) can be difficult, and it’s a matter of just making some mistakes, and taking great efforts to at least imagine their situation if we don’t have experiential learning equivalent to their struggles in empathizing for them.

The thing is though, like anything, it should be done in moderation before the forum ends up being some dating advice, or an S/M yandere. The actual direction the forum goes is a blank canvas, but it also provides liberation on how to assess those problems, and make the forum something where we can educate people on the experiential cases, personal cases, and such. But it’s hard sometimes because some posts are emotive, and people who aren’t used to that, or hate that completely may react in a condescending or patronizing manner, and just go back the general presumption of what the community is (which is sometimes clinging onto nostalgia of what it may have been, and feeling it will always be that way).

Seeing those people with different backgrounds having to format their assessment into this to hopefully reach those same realizations people are making progressively from just existing and trying to overcome adversities can be a very influential and inspirational force in getting older members to stick by (and newcomers to keep an open mind). Maybe not 24/7 hours a day refreshing the main page every 9 seconds, but at least 15 minutes, or even an hour every other day/three days/etc.

But unfortunately, because newcomers (or just anyone really) tend to salvage as much of their personal life to themselves, we can’t know their position, so we may go back to the same model of the newcomer we’ve subscribed to for so long. This may cause the apathy to develop, and feel like the forum is going down into shit. It could really be that we’re just incompetent to handle how much effort has to be put into that to fit that idealized goal for the forum to be a hub of information where we understand that despite of your upbringing and social conditioning in life, we can all forget what we are in our daily lifestyle, and humble ourselves to find reasons for existing with a tulpa in the first place that we can connect with.

At least this is the conclusion I came up with when I tried to post suggestions even though I knew it wouldn’t work out for most simply because the circumstances were different. And the more circumstances that are put out there, the more it was like a trial-and-error thing where I could try to imagine their position, and realize how I assess this endeavor is not going to be the absolute way. This is why I seem to be many people at times, I think, in any post I make because of that.

If anything, the repeated questions do teach me that being multi-faceted (in a non-schizo way), and taking some time to think a little bit for people who show some serious intentions in this may help someone that is this close from calling this experience absolute and utter bullshit when it comes to advancing one’s life, understanding themselves, and such.

Maybe that’s the only reason why I try to stay on the forum (other than it being home to the companions I interact with) because I’m clinging onto ideals that I know can happen, but because people have their own ways of reacting and responding to things, it seems those ideals will be nothing more than a fantasy. Sometimes I feel I’m walking through a post-apocalyptic environment in this forum at times, and trying to be like Batman that tries to have some false sense of justice when deep down, the real problems of the forum may never dissipate. But seeing that newcomer show some progress, busting their asses in figuring out what to do, and making shit happen can help reduce that intensity of problems.

And even though that may reduce the intensity of struggles with the tulpa communities in miniscule amounts, that realization they bring awareness to others would be an improvement (but I do know it can be abused). Maybe this could be similar thoughts lingering in other people’s mind, but I guess I might as well put that out there for OP.

It’s home to me, and maybe a horrible one where I don’t feel like I can stay for very long, but the potential for the connection where people take great efforts to understand each other will always be some inspiration for me, even if this forum should ever dissipate, there’s going to be other ones to take its place.

But again, this is just one person’s perspective on the matter with redundancy, stagnation, and other unfortunate assumptions of the communities in general.

TL;DR:

Yep, you're preaching to the choir, man.

And as for the suggestion to check the Vice article, I am aware of how people react to certain phenomenon like this. I've seen people see this as potential to improve and up the standards, and others who just want to pack their bags, and leave before the Salem Witch Trials they're paranoid about ever begins.

As much as people may want to stay in this forum, it wasn't too long before another article referencing to the phenomenon would make them have second doubts of sustaining their anonymous stay here. Maybe that could be the right direction to take for the time being, but who knows?