Last few questions before starting.

SoraKnightheart

Okay, so I've found the topic of 'tulpamancy' very interesting and I've been meaning to try it, but there are a few things that have really been bugging me. Please answer objectively, because I'm not willing to risk my mental health over something I've never tried before, even if it does land me with a lifelong companion. Also, it would be preferable if I could hear from more experienced people, those who have experienced both the good and bad.

Will most tulpas eventually grow malicious? Because let's not forget that the person who introduced tulpas to the Western world had to cut off her own because it was growing malicious, and even Buddhist monks, with their incredible powers of concentration and being the poster children of spiritual goodness, at times had malicious tulpas that ended up harming some of them. If not all tulpas end up malicious, what are the specific criteria that would lead them to becoming corrupt, so to speak? And how do you prevent this?

Will a tulpa become sentient knowing that it isn't real and is just a hallucination?

When do we know when a tulpa has been fully developed?

How do we know that a tulpa is even real, and not just our imagination getting stronger?

What happens when you base tulpas off predetermined models, such as fictional people, even if they aren't 100% the same? Will they come to know of this?

If a tulpa were to suddenly become power-hungry/evil/corrupt, how do I stop it, or revert it back, or remove it?

Will having a tulpa direct too much of my attention of them that it would be harder for me to function normally in society? I'd also rather not risk my real friends over a hallucination, frankly speaking.

Finally, I've read a few long guides, but since they at times give different ways to deal with different stages of the process, which guide worked for you?

Thanks a bunch, I really appreciate you guys' help.

Most of these questions are subjective, and therefore, you will have to figure them out for yourself. As for whether we know they're real, we don't. But that's not a good mindset to have when making a tulpa. The best thing to do is just believe they're real.

"Don't listen to friends when the friend inside you says 'Do this.'" -Gandhi

Tulpa Name: Ellie

Created: 11/13/13

What worries me most, however, is the maliciousness part. After reading about how Alexandra's tulpa seemingly turned evil, and about how Buddhist monks' tulpas can also do so and cause harm to them, I'm really starting to worry that given enough time and attention, a tulpa can go from a loving companion to Gaddafi.

Have you ever had any experiences like this, where a tulpa goes evil and wild? Or do you know others who have had them?

Thanks.

I haven't experienced that or know anyone who has. It's very rare for something like that to occur. The way I see it, the best way to avoid anything like that is to stop worrying about it. The more you worry, the more likely it is that it will happen, but I could be wrong. Again, it's very rare, so you shouldn't worry about it too much anyway.

"Don't listen to friends when the friend inside you says 'Do this.'" -Gandhi

Tulpa Name: Ellie

Created: 11/13/13

Will most tulpas eventually grow malicious? Because let's not forget that the person who introduced tulpas to the Western world had to cut off her own because it was growing malicious, and even Buddhist monks, with their incredible powers of concentration and being the poster children of spiritual goodness, at times had malicious tulpas that ended up harming some of them. If not all tulpas end up malicious, what are the specific criteria that would lead them to becoming corrupt, so to speak? And how do you prevent this?

Will a tulpa become sentient knowing that it isn't real and is just a hallucination?

How do we know that a tulpa is even real, and not just our imagination getting stronger?

What happens when you base tulpas off predetermined models, such as fictional people, even if they aren't 100% the same? Will they come to know of this?

If a tulpa were to suddenly become power-hungry/evil/corrupt, how do I stop it, or revert it back, or remove it?

Will having a tulpa direct too much of my attention of them that it would be harder for me to function normally in society? I'd also rather not risk my real friends over a hallucination, frankly speaking.

Finally, I've read a few long guides, but since they at times give different ways to deal with different stages of the process, which guide worked for you?

I can give my 2 cents on a few of these questions

1. From what I've heard, tulpas don't inherently become evil unless the tulpamancer wills it to. Thing is, the methods used in Tibetan Buddhism and the methods most modern tulpamancers use are fairly different, so don't rely too much upon that story. As far as I can tell, just don't be an asshole to your tulpa and it won't be an asshole to you.

2. You know a tulpa has become fully developed pretty much when you can see it doing things or being present in your life, without having to consciously think about it. When you reach the point when it does things that you don't think of, when you can see it without having to think "Okay, now I am gonna see my tulpa before me...". But a tulpa would never really be 'complete', the same way a human is never really 'complete'. It just contines developing constantly.

3. We don't. It depends on how you look at it. You can believe your tulpa is a spiritual creature that you've created from your mind, or giving a face to the voices in your head, or just a self-induced hallucination. Pretty much go with whichever you like most.

4. There are plenty of people who have based their tulpas on existing characters, or rather, basing their appearances on them. But most guides will advise you against actually trying to make a fictional character into a tulpa, and instead letting them develop their own personality.

5. For getting rid of a tulpa for whatever reason, see any guides to 'dissipating' a tulpa. But as I said in my first reply, unless you plan on being an abusive asshole to your tulpa, I wouldn't worry too much about it turning bad.

6. Your tulpa will only take up as much of your attention as you want them to. Naturally, the more you work with your tulpa the faster it will develop, but that can be anything from half an hour a day to a whole afternoon. Pretty much however much free time you have.

Hope that helps!

[align=center]Host: Mike "Redback"

Tulpa name: Deortabe

Appearance: Female deer with glittery hooves.

Begun: 04/09/14

Progress: Basic appearance starting to take shape, possible first signs of sentience.[/align]

Guest amber5885

The only people who have had a tulpa become maliciouse where generally on drugs at the time soni would take their word with a bucket of salt,

In making a tulpa they become as real as a person so no they don't consider themselves I be just a hallucination and it's not good to think of them that way.

Don't worry about your mental health, no a tulpa won't become evil or currupt at least we haven't really seen that from anyone credible within the community.

Most if those questions I can't answer like are they real. Well Toby is real to me and has been for 20 years. He doesn't distract from my everyday life and he hasn't gone dark side so I think we're good haha.

It is a lifelong commitment, it is a big deal and really you are the only one that can decide it it's right for you. Any method is good, different things work for different people. Take time to think about it if you are unsure

Okay, so I've found the topic of 'tulpamancy' very interesting and I've been meaning to try it, but there are a few things that have really been bugging me. Please answer objectively, because I'm not willing to risk my mental health over something I've never tried before, even if it does land me with a lifelong companion. Also, it would be preferable if I could hear from more experienced people, those who have experienced both the good and bad.

1. I've not heard of many tulpas becoming malicious. I suppose that they could but from what I've read tulpas won't unless they've been seriously mistreated.

2.I would say yes. I mean, Markus did but I don't really see her as not being real. Just because something's in your head doesn't make it fake/not real :P

3.I'm not sure if there's ever a point when a tulpa is ever "fully" developed. I guess that depends on your definition of full.

4.We don't. That being said, you could check out the concept of solipsism(if you've not heard of it; I dunno what you do and don't know :P) and wonder about how you know what's real or not :P

5. I've read that this could lead to an identity crisis for your tulpa in the future, but I don't really know anything about this one.

6. Tulpas seem to live off of attention. So if you were to ignore your tulpa or constantly tell yourself that they aren't real then they would probably dissipate. That, however, should be the VERY LAST thing that you do. It would be similar to murder

7. Not that I've seen or heard of.

8. Kiahdaj's(Ha! I remembered the 'h' this time :D) absolute guide to tulpas

If that didn't work I'll edit it out and just add a link :P... didnt work. Here you go: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-general-kiahdaj-s-absolute-guide-to-tulpas

Markus is the tulpa, and I don't really have anything else to say.

Markus speaks in Blue!

I think it's fear of the tulpa that makes the tulpa malicious. When Alexandra David-Neel was told about tulpas, she was told that they were supernatural in origin, and that they could turn against their creators. And even so, her tulpa didn't do anything bad except be scary.

In our community, most of us do not believe that tulpas are supernatural, and we recognize that if tulpas turn against their creator, they're just hurting themselves. Thus really malicious tulpas usually only happen with people who have serious mental health issues, or are on drugs to begin with.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

The chance that a tulpa will become malicious is extremely low. If you intend to create a malicious tulpa or if you severely mistreat your tulpa, they may become malicious, but even that isn't guaranteed. As long as you try to treat your tulpa right and don't intentionally give them a malicious personality, there's nothing to worry about.

This depends how you define "real" and how you view what a tulpa is.

The general consensus is that a tulpa is another mind, which means that, while a tulpa's form is not "real" (i.e., objectively real), a tulpa's mind is just as real as yours. If you subscribe to this view, then, yes, you can assume that your tulpa will become sentient because they are real.

One other fairly common view is that a tulpa is just a delusion - you're tricking your mind into believing that a simple figment of your imagination is another entity independent of your control. If you subscribe to this view, then, no, you cannot assume your tulpa is sentient. Sentience is the ability to experience subjectivity, so a delusion cannot be sentient; it can only give the illusion of sentience.

That depends what you mean by "fully developed". Just like any other person, there's no point where a tulpa is "fully developed", as they, like us, are always growing and changing. However, if you're referring to any specific developmental milestones, then you'll know.

Faith. You can't know for certain whether your tulpa is "real" or not; you just have to trust that they are.

It's generally regarded as a good idea to let your tulpa know that they're based off of a character and that they aren't expected to be a clone of that character. It's a good idea to let them know the truth about who they are and that they're encouraged to be their own person rather than trying to perfectly emulate a character.

As I've previously said, that's practically guaranteed not to happen. Most issues with a tulpa's behavior that do occur are the result of a misunderstanding or the tulpa simply not knowing better and usually aren't that serious. The solution in that case is to have a heart-to-heart talk with them about the situation to resolve whatever reason they have to act that way, perhaps even making compromises if necessary.

If there's so much conflict that you absolutely cannot live with your tulpa anymore, you can choose to just ignore them, but permanently ignoring them is something that should be reserved as a last resort for serious situations. There's almost always a better option.

That won't be a concern unless you actually decide to neglect your social life in favor of your tulpa. Personally, I actually have a tendency to neglect my tulpae in favor of friends and life in general, though I know I should try to strike more of a balance.

Mine were mostly accidental, but I can tell you this: Don't feel as if you have to follow any of the guides. The guides are there to give you ideas. The best way to create a tulpa by doing whatever feels right, using ideas for the guides as inspiration.

You're welcome!

I come out of hibernation once in a blue moon.

They/them pronouns, please. (I've been using this display name since 2012 and people won't recognize me if I change it.)

Will most tulpas eventually grow malicious?

No. Tulpas tend to benevolent, and appreciate their hosts.

Depends on what you mean by real. Mine know they are just simply sub processes of the brain, but they act like separate beings. I guess they act sort of like states in a federation. New Jersey is a part of the United States and answers to the federal government, but it is also still New Jersey and has its own processes that act independently of the Federal Government. Sonya and Menzy are part of my brain and are effected by some of my brain's processes, but they also have processes that act independently of my self

I guess the short answer is yes.

This is like asking when a country is fully developed. There's no real cut off that isn't arbitrary, but normally "developed " Tulpas are

• Sentient
  • Capable of acting Independently
  • Imposed on all five senses
  • Capable of Switching

You'll get different answers based on who you ask. Its highly debatable. We don't exactly know the processes that go behind it, which is why some of us look to go after some psychologists and neuroscientists to see if they can get things confirmed. Others look to magic, and others still look to Philosophical Metaphysics .

Yes, but they may or may not care. Something I was taught is that the Tulpa will be its own thing and will never be exactly like what its supposed to represent. Therefore it should be treated like its own thing, and not a representation of another Character.

You could dissipate it, which is basically actively ignoring it if that makes any sense.

Another thing I heard is that you could merge with it. I don't know much about the mechanics of this one.

You could also theoretically make another Tulpa to merge with it, or rather absorb it. This should dilute the other Tulpa's power hungriness.

If I may be so inclined, I say that tulpas of these types shall be known as "Jackie Chan Tulpas"

I've noticed no adverse effects of the sort, minus a little existential crisis I had once. Overall, my ability to function in society has remained unchanged or improved.

Tulpas are not a replacement for real friends, and if you think they are, you're doing it objectively wrong.

I worked with FAQ man's and Irish's old guides. That said I did that because of lack of anything else at the time, I've used JDbar's methods, GGMethos's, and other's. Since this experience is so intimately individualized, I'd recommend taking a mix of what seems right, but at the same time, go with methods that have been proven to work.

Welcome to the forums comrade.

"The Question is not who is going to let me, its who is going to stop me"~ Ayn Rand