Possession by Yuki

Yuki

Question

Introduction

Learning possession consists of two parts. The host has to let go of control of the body, after which the tulpa can take over. In this guide I'll discuss the basics behind possession for both hosts and tulpas, the learning process, and I'll include some tips on symbolism you could use. As you go along, look for signs of progression and try to get some practice in every day. Like with learning any skill, consistency is the key to getting results.

How to possess – the short version

Possession can be achieved in many different ways, but when you strip it down to its fundamentals, a few things are consistent throughout different methods. The host must let go of control of the body, and the tulpa must assume control. To do this, you must have the right mindset. You must know that you can do possession, and try to find proof that you're getting there. It is toxic to the process to have positions like “I can't do it,” “possession is hard,” or thinking that it's different for you because of certain circumstances. It is best to start from a position of careful optimism. Look out for signs of progress, and don't hold yourself back with a negative and detrimental mindset.

For hosts

Your job is to let go of the body. By being detached from your body, you give your tulpa room to take control. You must change your perspective to do this. From being the active controller of your body, you need to move into a state where you are passively observing your body. Detach from the body emotionally as much as you can, and simply observe. Try to not look at the bigger picture of movements and actions on your tulpa's part, but be as much in the moment as you can. Observe your body moving, without paying attention to what it's doing. Don't be critical of what's happening, try to let things happen as they come. It is key to have a calm mind.

For tulpas

While your host tries to detach from the body, you will try to take control. Look through your host's eyes, and get a feel for their different senses. See the body as your own, and try to feel at home inside it. Moving the body happens through willing it to move and imagining it moving. Start small, with trying to move around your hands or just your fingers while lying down or sitting still. Believe you can move the body, imagine moving it, and will the body to move. Make sure to keep communicating with your host while you try to get a feeling for how the body works.

Learning possession, the first steps

When you first get started, it's probably best to ease into things. The host should focus on relaxing for a while, lying on their back with their eyes closed, or sitting down comfortably if they're afraid of falling asleep. Focus on breathing slowly and calmly, and try to just perceive and observe what is happening. Don't move unless you feel really uncomfortable, and try to relax your muscles as much as possible. Lose your tension over a few minutes doing this, and try to stay as relaxed as possible.

Meanwhile, the tulpa should try looking through the body's senses. Feel the pressure of the bed under your body, feel your chest heaving up and down while you breathe, and feel your muscles relax and contract. The host should try to relax their hand as much as possible, while you try to will it to move. Try to open and close the hand, rotate the wrist, or move single fingers around. Keep trying this until you get some movement, while communicating with your host about how things feel for you.

As you both start getting a feeling for the change of control happening in your body, a few things are important to consider. Some hosts doubt movements that happen because they don't feel alien, and feel just like it's just them moving the body. Over time, as you get better at dissociating your mind from your body's actions while your tulpa is in control, the feeling of possession will become more alien to you. The most important thing is to trust your tulpa. If you're not sure about a movement, ask your tulpa if it was them, and take their word for it.

Trust and respect are very important in this process. The host has to trust the tulpa to move around in the body by themself, while the tulpa needs to get used to being in a new situation. Make sure to always keep communicating, and to respect each other's wishes and limits.

Mastering possession

Practicing after the first session, the tulpa should focus on learning to control and move different parts of the body. Once you get those first movements down, things will get easier and easier to learn. Work towards full body possession by practicing a little every day. You can also try full body possession early on, just to see what happens. Know that because you share your host's nervous system, you won't have to re-learn most things once you are able to properly control the body. Thanks to muscle memory, with practice you'll be able to do things as well as your host, or better. Once you get basic movements down, you can practice by typing, playing games, walking around and doing simple tasks. You can practice feeling the body's senses while your host moves around and does their own things. It'll help you feel more comfortable in the body and with its movements when you take control yourself.

The host should try to keep their mind as relaxed as possible. It can help to relax your limbs to allow your tulpa to take control at first, but it isn't required. Keep looking for signs that your tulpa is moving your body. Some people experience small twitches in their limbs, a fuzzy feeling, or a tingling sensation in their bodies. You can see those as signs that you're making progress. Of course, communicating is the most important thing. Once your tulpa is able to move your entire body, you can look at differences in posture and body language, as well as minor quirks they might exhibit in their behavior to see that it's them.

Progress in small steps, and don't worry if progress is slow. Don't give up when things don't go your way instantly, and try to work together to make the learning process as pleasant and comfortable for both parties as possible. Worrying and doubting is detrimental to the learning process, so try to stay observant and optimistic. That goes for both hosts and tulpas.

Symbolism and other helpful tools

Using symbolism in some way might benefit you if you get stuck somewhere. It's often best to think of something yourself, but I'll give a few examples of things you can do as well. If the host has trouble dissociating and letting go of the body, it can help to visualize yourself as being in a fixed point inside your head, and visualizing that point moving into the back of your head, or out of it, allowing the tulpa to take your place. Imagine yourself not as your body, but as a mental entity, and try to step out of your body, again making room for your tulpa to step in.

If the tulpa has trouble taking control of the body, or doesn't know how to, there are different things they can do as well. You can create a suit that fits around your body in your wonderland, and have movement in that suit correspond to movements in the physical body. You can imagine yourself being inside your host's body, as if you're wearing their skin as a suit. Imagine the body being a giant robot, and you being the mecha pilot. Figure out what works best for you.

It might be hard for the host to relax properly, in which case it should be useful to read up on meditation a little bit and trying to incorporate it into your life. Using meditation to calm down before practicing possession can be helpful, and practicing mindfulness will help you spot and recognize the things that are happening in your body. Mindfulness in Plain English by Ven. Henepola Gunaratana is a good read.

If you're bothered by doubts or worry during the process, belief implanting might be helpful. It can help you get rid of the doubts that are limiting you, and make the process easier through positive reaffirmation. It can also be helpful with learning other tulpa related skills, or improving yourself in any area of your life. Belief implanting is detailed in Fede's guide.

Remember to not give up easily, to keep communicating, and to trust each other and believe in each other. Take some time every day to practice, and strive for a little bit of improvement every time. In time, you'll get there. Have fun.

A note on switching

Switching can be considered an advanced state of possession. For the tulpa, the experience is really the same. They are in control of the body and doing whatever they are doing. The experience differs for the host. I define switching as being the ability for the host to focus on things other than what the body is focused on. This means that when the tulpa is doing something, the host can do whatever they want mentally, such as exploring a wonderland, as opposed to being a spectator of the body. I think switching can be a natural result of possessing for long periods of time, and this is how it happened to Sands. Here are some thoughts from him on the subject.

Changelog

January 10

-Changed headers from "Day one" and "Day two" to "First steps" and "Mastering possession" to prevent possible misunderstandings. There is no deadline or recommended time to learn anything here, you should do things comfortably and at your own pace.

-Added a footnote on switching to prevent people being misinformed on what different terms mean in this community.

-Changed my wording to be less strong in places.

Feel free to ask me anything.

Suffering is self-imposed. Don't let it control you.

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

We don't approve of guides if there already is an almost identical copy in message approved already. We will compare the two guides to see if they can compliment each other (both can be approved) or if one is superior (the better one will stay approved). We're supposed to decide which it is - and if you do think that some guides are redundant, you're free to let us know so we can take another look. Sometimes we will forget about the old ones, so if you remember or just recently read it and think it's similar to another approved one, please let us know.

It's kind of less of an issue now when we get so few guides, but we definitely did do our best when we had to sort the huge backlog. You can always tell us if you think there has been a mistake so we can re-open it and possibly change the verdict.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

As for what Linkzelda said about possession and switching... I'm afraid I really have no idea what you're talking about. They definitely are connected in a way and I even made a picture talking about it, but it's still easy to say when switching starts and when it's still "just" possession. Is host so disconnected from senses that they can ignore it and decide to see and feel what they want? If yes, congratulations, you're switching! If not... Well, you're still possessing, but you might be on your way to a switch. My number 1 tip for learning to switch is to get good at possession.

The link you’ve shown that I’ve seen other people use as an example is just more of a testament of the gray areas, i.e., the point between possession and switching in the scale shown in your link. Maybe when I talked about shifting awareness completely (switching) vs. still retaining some awareness (e.g. passive awareness; possession), it was a bit confusing, I guess. But my statements were to show that the reader can easily see this as a precursor to learn switching, but it’s still a possession guide of course.

I think this is good, because newcomers, and anyone trying to attempt this can see them as interconnected rather than absolutely dichotomous from each other, but still distinguishable based on the definitions...weird duality, I know. Same as your notion of practicing possession first to learn how to switch, just interpreted differently.

A solid introduction and followed up with good details.

Approved.

"Assert the supremacy of your Imaginal acts over facts and put all things in subjection to them... Nothing can take it from but your failure to persist in imagining the ideal realized."

-Neville Goddard

Anything I would have to say about this guide has already been said, aside from that I really don't see a problem with the sentence structure like sushi pointed out. Honestly, it doesn't really matter to me, but whatever ends up being higher quality I'd be having to go with. It's a pretty good guide overall.

Approved for Guides.

[align=center]Even though my username is that of my tulpa, Quilten, my name is Phaneron, the host, who does all of the actual posting.

Tulpas: Quilten, Jira

[/align]

All these things, too long to quote, wow

Well, if people are trying to claim that the gray area where the host isn't disconnected enough is switching then I guess people are just using my words in a way I never meant for them to use. But they definitely are connected and hey, if we agree on that then I guess we agree on the basic idea.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

Well, if people are trying to claim that the gray area where the host isn't disconnected enough is switching then I guess people are just using my words in a way I never meant for them to use.

Other way around, possession; potentially on their way to switching if one goes further.

--

Approved for Guides.

That works, that's definitely how I see it based on my experiences at least. Seems like I'm not the only one either, so I doubt I'm a special case.

Yeah, I agree with most of what's been said above. It's a good guide, and certainly welcome given that there are now no other possession guides here. For that reason there's obviously no concern about duplication. So I approve.

>>and to respect each other's wishes and limits.

Wow, great advice.

>>Worrying and doubting is cancerous to the learning process, so try to stay observant and optimistic.

Could be frontloading and is a bit hostile considering the connotations of the word cancerous. Encouraging belief is fine but persecuting (for lack of a better word) nonbelief isn't

>>If you're bothered by doubts or worry during the process, belief implanting might be helpful. It can help you get rid of the doubts that are limiting you, and make the process easier through positive reaffirmation. It can also be helpful with learning other tulpa related skills, or improving yourself in any area of your life. Belief implanting is detailed in Fede's guide.

Feel free to reference another guide in passing, but this part seem unnecessary here to me. (Move it to the end?)

All in all it seems like a mature and well-written guide even if I got the impression that the author's personality bled through a bit too much (Not necessarily a bad thing, personal taste etc.)

Do try to write the guide so that someone who is frustrated and doubting won't feel put off by it, that's one reason guides exist.

I have nothing but minor complaints along with deserved praise, Approved for guides.

Everyone else has covered how I feel, but to summarize it, it's a good guide. Do try and make sure that someone who is doubting and worried/frustrated can read the guide without being able to tear it apart, as Schlondark said, but other than that, Approved for Guides.