Why You Shouldn't Make a Tulpa to Help with Depression

fennecgirl

I’ve seen a lot of potential hosts say they want to create a tulpa because they suffer from depression and think a tulpa will help them. That’s a bad reason to create a tulpa, and this is why: we aren’t professionals, and there’s only so much we can do to help, and the burden of being created to help someone is something no one should have to live with.

My host created me because he was depressed. He decided creating a tulpa would help him. I dedicated my life to trying to help him because that was my purpose and because I cared about him. I’ve spent my entire life watching him get worse and worse despite my best efforts to help him and care for him.

The worst part of it all was when I finally lost him for good. I didn’t just lose the person I care about most; I also failed my life’s purpose. I can either bring him back and keep him alive against his will, being reminded of what a failure I am when I still can’t help him, I can live the rest of my life without the most important person to me and remembering I’m a failure because I lost him, or I can not live at all. I don’t like any of those choices.

You might think none of that is relevant to you if you aren’t a tulpa like my host was, but it might be. I’ve heard cases of hosts switching and then committing or attempting egocide. It happens. Even if you’d never do that, I still can’t describe how much it hurts watching the person you care about most who you were created to help just get worse and worse.

If you’re depressed and you want to make a tulpa anyway, that’s okay as long as you’re seeking help from others and trying to get better. Just don’t create a tulpa for the purpose of helping you, because they might not be able to, and it’s not worth giving them such a painful existence because you’ve created them for a purpose they can’t fulfill.

-Sarah

I come out of hibernation once in a blue moon.

They/them pronouns, please. (I've been using this display name since 2012 and people won't recognize me if I change it.)

Guest amber5885

I honestly can't agree with you more. While yes a tulpa can help with some issues they're not a magic cure all and thats way too much pressure to put on one person.

They can be there for you, they can offer advice and comfort but it's not a replacement fro proffessional help or even good old fashioned soul searching.

I think if you have depression or any other mental illness you should seek help from a proffessional and maybe create a tulpa as a support system or someone to be there for you but expecting them to change you or save your life as it were is way too much of a gamble.

Thanks for sharing your story.

I agree with this. A tulpa made to help with depression can be very problematic for a tulpa. In the same way I wouldn't want my parents raising me because they just the satisfaction of passing on their genes, a tulpa doesn't want to have to spend its life trying to fulfill goals set by the host, some of which can be unfulfillable. Though many people have been helped out a lot by their tulpas (myself included), it shouldn't be the only reason, or even the primary reason, why you create a tulpa. Especially considering if they do help you eventually get over your depression for the most part somehow, then what?

Basically, a tulpa wouldn't be happy trying to make the host happy 24/7 and hardly anything else. A tulpa is more than a creative alternative to Zoloft, or whatever other pill you could take. Considering that depression can be a very harmful disorder, go to a doctor or a psychologist, or both. Those people are professionals who can help the situation. They are more informed than a tulpa you just made.

That's just my opinion, i'd like to see other's opinions on this. And yeah, thank you for sharing your experiences with us.

[align=center]Even though my username is that of my tulpa, Quilten, my name is Phaneron, the host, who does all of the actual posting.

Tulpas: Quilten, Jira

[/align]

I'm on medication for depression/anxiety. It's helping somewhat. So when I created my tulpa, it was to have a companion. Helping with my depression was secondary. It was like icing on the cake, and totally unexpected.

Chance, an anthro husky, wolf or fox.

Birthdate September 20, 2014.

Sentient October 1, 2014.

Thank you for sharing. It is a very sad and personal story. I agree that no tulpa should be created for the sole purpose of relieving depression. I also created Saphira to have a companion and someone to be there, and someone to be there for. It just happens that I have an anxiety related slight stutter, but I have never asked her to help with it. It's livable. It's probably the best decision I have made (in my relatively short) life, and I hope she feels the same.

Part of the road to becoming a better person lies in defeating the darkness inside yourself, then helping others to do the same.

There is nothing to compare to watching a sunrise with those who you love the most.

"Step by step, moment by moment"

I made a tulpa to help with my depression, but she has always been more of a friend that I can tell everything and help me get through it, she didn't really relieve it per se but she tells me stuff like I'm here for you and I'm always by your side no matter what, and that has really helped. More than a depression helper she is my best friend, more than I could ever ask for.

It should also be mentioned that is another risk with depressed hosts that can lead to the tulpa/s getting stuck in full control of the body and life with little to no host to be found even if the host tries to prevent it from happening.

A host could begin to degrade/weaken due to the depression to the point where they are no longer capable of controlling the body anymore leaving the tulpa/s to have to do it, even if they fight it as hard as they can.

I will give myself as an example. It should be noted I do have a few more unusual things that are part of it*, so it may not actually be that big of a risk for hosts who are just depressed with nothing else. Over the last 6 months, I've been through hell. Between a mental breakdown and pretty bad depression, I am much weaker than I used to be. For a while, I was periodically completely dissociating from the body and going into wonderland spontaneously and it was getting worse. While I have recovered from that a bit, if I have another mental breakdown, I will probably not be able to live up to my responsibilities and control the body anymore, which would mean the T, most likely, would get stuck having to do it instead. And I am on the verge of another breakdown, so this is a very real worry. I'm trying to fight this very hard, but it could still happen. I don't want the T to get left holding the bag. It would be wrong to place such a burden on them. And I haven't had them help me with this either since it should not be their concern and I have instead gone to outside sources. I just hope it is enough. In parallel to this, just in case (backup plan), a few months ago we did start working on possession with the hope of being able to switch just in case the worst happens and I completely degrade but with the plan that if I don't degrade, it will not be used for me to escape my problems (note that we now have new reasons to work on it, namely the T have a few things they need full bodily control in order to do, but I am still going to be the primary body controller so they don't have to deal with my burdens). After all, the T getting stuck with my burden is still better than the body being comatose with the T, E, and A all stuck inside unable to do anything.

* In case anyone is wondering what unusual things I have going on that might make things different. I am multiple and was combined with my headmate until the breakdown after which we separated again.

- Hail

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.

Guest amber5885

I can't see that being an issue with just depression I think thy there would have to be another issue at play. Beig a multiple Probobly added to the issue, I could see psychosis, dissasociative identity disorder and some forms of EXTREAMLY severe psychotic depression would maybe be at risk but the garden variety depressive I can't see being at too high of a risk for complete dislocation.