Telling when you have a tulpa

reguile

Question

If you are resorting to a guide with a title such as this than you are probably pretty familiar with the entire process of creating a tulpa. You know about how to make a personality, you know what forcing is, you know how to put yourself in a wonderland with relative ease. You have found that despite all this knowledge, despite hours of forcing, despite reading every scrap of information you can find, you really honestly aren't sure what to expect from a tulpa.

Alien feelings? A person whispering into your ear while you cross the street? The feeling of a walkie talkie? Some threads speak of tulpa as if they are simply other people, yet other threads speak of them as if there is hardly a distinguishing factor between the tulpa and the host. So what gives? When is it that you really do have something that you can confidently state is a tulpa? When are you or aren't you parroting?

Some who have tried to create a tulpa seem to do incredibly well with it. They are out talking about how talkative their tulpa is in the first week! Some take less than a few hours! It's obvious that you, the troubled reader of this guide, must be doing something horribly wrong, right? No.

Like all human efforts and questions, some things will just "click" for some people. Be it from prior experience, natural disposition, or just plain old peer pressure, some people hit the track running. You probably hit the track going about twenty miles an hour and with a broken leg. There is nothing wrong with that. In fact, you can end up doing much better in the long run because of the foundation you are forced to build.

Not all tulpa through the community have voices that are even close to consistently alien/foreign feeling. Even some of the people who have been at this for quite a while have been known to have moments of doubt. The process of creating a tulpa is not something that is just accomplished through an hour of forcing. Outside of certain “breakthrough” moments that drive you to new prospects, progress in the field of tulpa is incredibly gradual. Even If you may not be noticing any improvement, it is almost definitely there in some form. What you will get out of tulpa will be exactly what you put in combined with your own natural affinity, nothing more, nothing less.

___

The only thing you really can do at a stage like this is to just keep at the process that got you here. Do not shut down or shut out that little voice in your head. Cater to that voice. Humor it. Clearly, as you are wondering if some of your thoughts are those of your tulpa, something is going right. Continue to force, continue to develop the personality of your tulpa, continue to work on trying to think of your tulpa throughout the day. All of these things build and reinforce the idea in your head that a thought no longer is a simple, one dimensional thought. Instead, you create the idea that there is some identity, some personality, some tulpa, that can be doing the “thinking”. The stronger that identity, the easier and more often thoughts will be assigned to it.

What you are experiencing is the beginning of your ability to recognize and order a thought as being the thoughts of your tulpa rather than yourself. More often than not that thought will feel like its origin lies with you rather than a tulpa. That is absolutely normal and expected. For now, you are very likely bad at the process of ordering thoughts, and you are are almost definitely going to continue to screw up along the way.

You may find it helpful to spend some time just trying to recognize your own thought processes as you go throughout the day. It is amazing sometimes how quickly the mind can work, and if you pay a little more attention you may start to notice that you tend to think about two to five sentences worth of thoughts across the course of one normal language-based thought.

Learning to pay attention to this level of thinking is very helpful when dealing with doubt issues such as this. I wouldn’t so much recommend to attempt to endlessly be in control of every thought you make. However, being able to pay attention to that level of thought is often very good for assessing and realizing what trains of thought or mindsets lead to you feeling like your tulpa isn’t exactly not-you. Those trains of thought can be avoided while forcing for the sake of fostering progress, and then examined later on when you are not trying to actually communicate.

Overall you should expect that as you force the voice will become stronger. Along the line, there will be doubts. It is likely that you will never find a point at which you never have doubts of if what you heard was you or your tulpa. That is normal, that is expected. However, as time slowly passes, the doubts become less. You probably won't notice it at all after any single day, but you may just find that one day things “click” and it really feels like you are talking to a voice in your head.

You may even go so far as to call it a tulpa.

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

In time, the more you practice engaging with that character, the easier it becomes to think like them, to know exactly what they would say, how they would react. That is ideally a tulpa, right?

Well, no. What ideally is a tulpa is one that surprises you, one that you can't get down perfectly because the moment you think you really know what they will say next, they actually throw you out of the loop and say something completely different because they act like a real person. Now that is a tulpa. One that can surprise you like any other person, instead of just a character you understand completely because you created them and you know exactly what is going on in their heads because you are them, in the end.

Also I feel like you either meant to comment on the old one, because this guide has nothing to do with him claiming that they aren't sapient...? It just feels kind of off-topic. This is something else the thread split kind of confuses, I have no idea which one you are commenting on.

Anyways, I don't think your idea to split the topic was a good idea, waffles. Not only did the guide writer know for sure what they wanted to do, two others thought it would be better as a new thread. Right now the first post doesn't actually have the thing they wrote and the votes will be on third page after two pages of stuff that is completely useless to this guide as they were comments on a WIP project.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

I don't really know where I'd put this... It originally seemed like something that could be at home in resources, but upon inspection it wouldn't really fit in.

I'll go with the majority so far here and relegate it to tips and tricks for lack of a more specific area that it would fit better into.

Also, not sure if you missed what I said or disregarded it, but here it is again:

I didn't do either, I did try to make changes to that part, although maybe I undid them somehow or didn't change it enough?

Anyways, I don't think your idea to split the topic was a good idea, waffles. Not only did the guide writer know for sure what they wanted to do, two others thought it would be better as a new thread. Right now the first post doesn't actually have the thing they wrote and the votes will be on third page after two pages of stuff that is completely useless to this guide as they were comments on a WIP project.

I edited my post to have the full guide as it stands now, at least.

Well, no. What ideally is a tulpa is one that surprises you, one that you can't get down perfectly because the moment you think you really know what they will say next, they actually throw you out of the loop and say something completely different because they act like a real person. Now that is a tulpa. One that can surprise you like any other person, instead of just a character you understand completely because you created them and you know exactly what is going on in their heads because you are them, in the end.

I've been thinking about what you've said. A tulpa that speaks and acts spontaneously, in other words? If you know a tulpa inside out (this includes how great their potential to change eg. overcome fears, become wiser) and you practice achieving that flowing, painless conversation, then you won't have to think too hard about how they would behave. Their behaviour becomes like second nature, and that is what adds to their realism.

Perhaps I look at it differently, and my methods might not be the same either. My 'best' tulpa, if you like, is one whose personality and potential I've thought through. Even then, he's always coming up with things I've not seen in him before, so I guess my way of thinking works best for me.

Well, whatever you think hardly matters if the end result is the same and the tupper isn't predictable. At that point you hardly know them inside out in my eyes, as there are things you have missed and things they come up with that you have no way of knowing before you witness it. So hey, say whatever you want. Either you don't know them as well as you think or they're a pretty immature tupper that hasn't had the chance to really become themselves yet.

As for the guide, I guess there's nothing I really object to and we have talked about it in such detail previously that I don't really have to bother to repeat myself, I'm sure. No reason for me to disapprove, though having your guide in a quote block is a bit strange and I don't exactly understand this stylistic choice. Whatever though, right? No reason for me to disapprove and most seem to be fine with it going to tips and tricks, so I have nothing against that either.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)