Weight of Thought

Bin

Ah, good point, I didn't actually give that statement much thought. Thinking about it, a perfectly lit - yet empty - room makes a lot of sense. You expect objects and details to be there, and staring at it for a while might induce the expectation effect. Actually I wanna try that now. In addition, that reminds me of something that happens to people in solitary confinement. After going a while without any decent sensory information, they begin hallucinating and quite commonly, begin to see insects all over the walls moving about.

Scarlet - anime, 8/15/2012

That's it. Since the brain is accustomed to processing tons of sensory information everyday, a lack of it might well be very effective in inducing hallucinations. Not sure how long you'd have to sit in an empty room, though. I'm thinking, do you have to be relaxed or dazed to be able to get to that stage where you're really seeing things that aren't there? (I'm just talking about hallucinations in general here) because I imagine people in solitary confinement would get incredibly worked up. Maybe that has little or nothing to do with hallucinating, but I imagine them, being so starved of sensory input and their brains going into overdrive, would play a big part in inducing hallucinations. On the contrary, meditation, relaxing yourself and getting into that state of mind is good for focus and concentration. I know it works for in-world visualisation but I'm not sure about imposition.

Perhaps hallucinations work at both ends of the scale.

I wouldn't think stress would have too much to do with it, I think it's purely a matter of looking for information where there is none, and after a while making it up.

This also reminds me of sometimes being in total silence, or even being in an area with a droning sound (like an audible fan), sometimes I can hear music in my head clear as day. I'm using half awake, but it still sounds very real. Just another little thing to add to the theory.

Scarlet - anime, 8/15/2012