A message for the Guests on this forum

Pleeb

Why is there even a guest function? Obviously people should be able to view the topics and posts as guests, but post? Is it really that hard to make up a profile name if you want to ask a question? Why let them post as guests if it gives them the ability to troll?

I know most don't, but if they aren't trolling, they are asking serious questions. If they are asking serious questions, they must be serious about tulpaforcing.

If they are serious about tulpaforcing, then they should be making a profile. It's not hard to manage.

frt

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I have to agree. Anonymity fits for a setting like an imageboard, but it has no place on a forum. There's no good reason to post anonymously here. It's only asking for trouble.

Astral project on my face, brother!

As another poster stated before, trolling and garbage in serious threads has nothing to do with guest option. I personally don't care if anonymous posting removed and I partly agree that this will remove 3-4 obvious trolls. But it won't make us tolerant, wise, moderate in our actions and problems will remain here.

Creating and using profile is a responsibility. Be it 1-week profile or old profile. No offense intended in my post, I am talking about every user including myself, but there is no way to make things better with one click.

Um, yes it will. If people troll, they have a name and can be dealt with. Having names discourages most people from trolling and stops it entirely. The only trolling I have seen is by guests, or one guest samefagging.

Guests should not be allowed to post. I don't care if a few or even most guests are nice- if they are nice and interested they should get a profile. It's easy and fixes the problem. Why let them stay as guests with the ability to troll?

frt

It's just as easy to register and troll, if you're so afraid of that. The mods here are forgiving (which is a great fucking thing and it should never change unless you love circlejerks) so one user will get plenty of trolling done before banned. It probably takes much more time to write captchas for every post than it would to register and post lots of trolling messages. At least I think the guest posting option requires captchas?

Anons wanna anon, don't take it away from them. I would probably be a guest too but I dislike captcha.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

No, if you or I started trolling, not only would be be banned or at least modded, our name would be known as "that jackass who trolls".

If a guest trolls, they can just pretend to be someone else in their next post, they don't have to worry about being banned. Their trolling can't be stopped or moderated, as Pleeb doesn't want to have to try and chase up after everyone to try to ban them. It's easier to not let them post/troll unless they join and get a name.

It's like gambling. Right now, they don't have to wager anything and they still get to troll. It should be that if you wager a bet and make a profile, you get to troll... and then get banned. Not you can bet and bet and bet (troll) without having to worry about your stake (name).

frt

Name doesn't mean jack shit. I could make another account with different name and pretend to be another person, before or after getting banned. Easy as that. Name is more likely to make them attentionwhore anyways, then they know everyone will know them as the epic ween troll who rustled some jimmies. XDDD

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

Well at least this way gives Pleeb and the mods some kind of control. Nameless guests are uncontrollable.

It's the lesser of two evils. Trolls will troll and they will never just leave for any one reason. But at least doing something about it helps.

This thread wouldn't exists if there wasn't a problem. Things need to change if people think trolling guests are getting out of hand.

Surely if every guest who doesn't want to troll made a profile, then every other guest is a troll? It solves two problems. It let's people who want to be anon be anon, until they troll, in which case they stay a guest, but we all know guests are trolls.

frt

It only gives the feeling of control. Nothing changes, they'll come back if they really want to. Maybe even banning them makes them more amused as they know they have annoyed enough people to get banned. They could even make a game out of it, who manages to get banned the most? I know I sure would.

Honestly, for every troll guest post there are enough non-trolling guest posts or trolling posts that seem innocent/interesting enough that calling every guest a troll is overreacting. Which is what you're doing if you make guests unable to post. It stops things from getting stagnant when there's a constant movement of people coming in and going out.

Trolls want attention. This is giving them attention. Reacting to them is giving them attention. I give them attention when they're hilarious or they get hilarious reactions (Sorryman & guest, you're the best duo and never stop), but if it's just sad then I can shake my head and go on with my life. Which is what people should do. They don't troll if they don't get what they want. They'll try better next time and get laughs or they keep failing and grow bored, leaving the board and never coming back or coming back once they know how to troll better. But there seems to be some people who don't get the whole don't reply to troll posts though, so trolls keep getting reactions so they keep doing it. Is it the fault of the trolls or the ones who get trolled so easily? Surely one should know how things work.

But if we don't do anything, the trolls will leave, but also keep coming anyway. There will be a constant influx of trolls who know this places doesn't ban. I can't see being banned as a goal can be very fun for most trolls. If it was something they would aim for, then how is it called an anti trolling method? Banning does help, it can only help. There will always be trolls, but at least we will do something about it, instead of hoping they leave by boredom.

And not all trolling is funny or alright. Some of it can get nasty and it looks like a shitstain in this forum if we let the little trolls kids run around. 4chan turned bad because of the trolls, now everyone expects you troll on 4chan and it's also widely "known" that 4chan was never good. It once was, but now the trolls have taken over.

I'm not saying they will take over this forum, but doing nothing won't help. If they get banned they get banned. Some will be deterred and some will come back. It's better than banning none of them and letting others join the fray.

frt