A message for the Guests on this forum

Pleeb

Dear Guests and Anonymous posters,

Back when I created this board, it was decided that guests should be able to post and reply to topics. I still stand by my decision that they should be able to. However, as of recent there has been some guests trolling, breaking rules, etc.

Due to the fact that some of these guests are using certain proxy services, I cannot ban said posters (if anyone knows how to get around to banning The Onion Router, feel free to speak up!).

I'm afraid that if this doesn't stop, I'm going to have to disable guest posting in the boards receiving the trolling. This isn't something that I'd actually want to do, but it is something that I will not hesitate to do.

Spoiler

An image in a signature behind a hidden tag! 

image.png.4b4fd4a211261c307de1fb4de85312d6.png

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pleeb, I've never trolled as a Guest and I always post through TOR. I do wonder if other people that do post through it do troll, if there are any...

Pleeb, I've never trolled as a Guest and I always post through TOR. I do wonder if other people that do post through it do troll, if there are any...

It's not a matter of posting through TOR but rather people posting through TOR and trolling. There are no ways to enforce the rules against them.

And yeah, the majority of the guests really do contribute rather than troll, and it's why I'm making this topic here instead of just jumping in to disable guest posting like I've been asked.

Spoiler

Guest Anonymous

Sadly there's no way to ban users using proxy relays. Although you can ban the specific proxy, the user can switch to a new one in seconds. What purpose is there in posting as a guest though? Seems like the only valid use for posting as a guest is to either troll, or if you don't want your posting habits tracked for some reason.

I don't see much reason to even keep the guest posting anymore. The feature was only implemented to harness the 4chan traffic, at least from what I can tell, but our community has grown so much that it doesn't need anons anymore. Nowadays, most people from 4chan actually just register an account here instead of posting anonymously.

Add a poll that asks if people want to keep the feature, along with reasons for each vote, e.g. "More traffic from anons." for yes and "No anonymous proxy-trolling." for no. I'll vote no, of course. (EDIT: Then again, one could argue that it's up to the user to simply ignore trolls, as I pointed out in another post. Majority decides.)

FFS, why do legit posters here use TOR? TOR is really mostly useful for stopping people snooping upstream of you on the network. For home users, that would mean your ISP or the government. In offices, it also means IT. TOR is not useful for stopping friends from finding out -- a browser with a "private browsing" function will do that nicely.

I can see using proxies and encryption if you're browsing this site from work, but I know of no place where creating imaginary friends is illegal or otherwise "interesting" enough to attract someone with the authority to get ISP traffic logs.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

Some people always use it Chupi.

If you ban guests, you will just turn this into a giant hugbox circlejerk that nobody gives a shit about. Quit being children and learn to ignore posts that you don't like.

You do realize that registered users can evade ban through TOR as well, right? Disabling guest posting solves nothing. You'll just lose many valuable posters.

Just ignore the trolls. They're not a big deal. You'd think that coming from 4chan, the community would be used to dealing with trolls (and have more respect for anonymous posting). Too much moderation is never good for a forum. Too many forums have gone to shit because of trigger happy mods who are just itching to fix problems that don't exist.

Basically, what the guest above said.

Add a poll that asks if people want to keep the feature

That's a great idea, except that guests can't vote in polls.

The forums I came from (Dream Views) have no guest posting, and it's one of the best forums I've been to. I don't see why it's so hard to make an account, you don't have to put crucial information about yourself.

I have 10 tulpas, but I'm only actively working on Reah, my first tulpa currently.

Progress Report

Registered users can have warnings attached to their accounts, and the rules could be more easily enforced on said users. Yes, they could create a new account, but the moderators can actually do something about that (e.g. banning troll accounts as they come back). In this case, aside from deleting posts, the moderators can do nothing (since they cannot ban IP addresses, though it wouldn't matter with a member using a proxy).

I'm not convinced that this will turn into a hugbox circlejerk that nobody gives a shit about. After all, I just went to dreamviews a moment ago; there are 295 users online: 38 members and 257 guests (though said guests could very well be bots). Guest posting is not permitted in that forum, iirc, yet they are very, very, active with a stable community. Even on this forum, we've gotten over 500 registered members in in the past two months.

I know we'll end up losing some of the valuable posters that refuse to have usernames, but registration really does only take 15 seconds, and you'd be surprised how well a captcha makes for a username choice. If someone viewing really has something valuable to say, I would hope they'd put their spitefulness aside to make a quick account and say it.

When I see a member -- or guest -- randomly coming into someone's topic with the only intent to lash out, make fun, or insult someone in the topic, I see that not only as spam/nonconstructive posting, but as flaming or flamebaiting.

While trolls can be ignored, I'm not going to have people outright breaking the rules that were set in motion just because they're guests and they can get away with it.

And it is not that I don't respect anonymous posting, but gone the extra mile so many times during this community's creation for those with forumaphobia wipe the individuality from members. At one point, I hid post counts, disabled signatures and avatars, merged boards, and even removed the ranking labels because of everyone equated the above with circlejerking.

P.S. This isn't a question of if I will continue to allow guests to post. It's a statement that I will keep to my word when I said:

Don't abuse it, or you'll lose it

Spoiler