Her

arcanemagic

Hi! I was jus thinking about the movie "Her." I've not seen the movie yet, but it's about a man who falls in love with his artificial intelligence OS. Now, it might be(and probably is) that I'm drawing lines between two completely unrelated things but I think that some pretty definite lines could be drawn from the movie to the tulpa community. So, anyone on here seen the movie? If so, do you think this pertains to the tulpa community or am I just silly? Thoughts, comments, etc. on the movie? Let the discussion commence!(maybe?)

EDIT: A) As Bin said, I probably should've watched it for better understanding before posting this.

B) I did not mean that the movie has literal ties to the tulpa community. I'm talking about the possible problems of a relationship with someone without a body. Again, I didn't see the movie so it could have no connection whatsoever to tulpas or the community.

Thought I should put this here to clear up any misunderstanding that others might have :P

Markus is the tulpa, and I don't really have anything else to say.

Markus speaks in Blue!

I only read the synopsis but I think the point of the movie was that the AI didn't really "love" him.

Spoilers: The AI is a service and actually has hundreds of partners, it assured the main character that it loved him despite that, but he ended their relationship anyway for obvious reasons.

So no I don't think it has anything to do with tulpas. Also why are you even talking about a film you didn't see?

Actually, if you want to talk about an AI that reminds you of a tulpa, I'd go for The Thinker in the BioShock 2 DLC Minerva's Den. Spoilers: Porter re-creates his dead wife's personality using The Thinker's ability to duplicate personalities. result of that (again, spoilers).

Scarlet - anime, 8/15/2012

I only read the synopsis but I think the point of the movie was that the AI didn't really "love" him.

Spoilers: The AI is a service and actually has hundreds of partners, it assured the main character that it loved him despite that, but he ended their relationship anyway for obvious reasons.

So no I don't think it has anything to do with tulpas. Also why are you even talking about a film you didn't see?

Woopsies :P as for the talking about movies I've not seen, it seemed like it was an interesting thing to talk about... that being said I probably should've seen the movie before asking others about it, huh?

Markus is the tulpa, and I don't really have anything else to say.

Markus speaks in Blue!

I've watched that one. Though technically it has absolutely nothing to do with tulpas, many of the problems mentioned in the film reminded me of them. Especially, the problem of not a material being getting in a relationship with a material human. I recommend it, it's a great film.

May the Force be with you

Actually, if you want to talk about an AI that reminds you of a tulpa, I'd go for The Thinker in the BioShock 2 DLC Minerva's Den. Spoilers: Porter re-creates his dead wife's personality using The Thinker's ability to duplicate personalities. result of that (again, spoilers).

What? I actually watched the movie. Here's a bunch of spoilers.

So, she was his alone in the beginning. Then the A.Is got together and made themselves smarter. Then the little nymph got some more users and was essentially 'cheating' on the main character guy. Though the movie kinda points out how good polygamy is. The dude is of coursed upset, being only a human and not an A.I with higher thought for understanding that you can love more than one person. Then out of nowhere all the A.I. things 'leave' somewhere together all at once. Then it shows the guy walking to the top of his apartment building, getting your hopes up that he's going to jump. Then you're disappointed that he didn't, and disappointed overall by the movie.

It's related to tulpas because the computer he has with him is an earplug so he can hear and talk to her, and shows her the real world through video. It's closer to being in a long distant relationship though, honestly.

Will the BBB please buy my guide. [advertising link scrubbed]