Question About "Creating" Your Tulpa

so anonymous

So, I am new to the tulpa process, and what can and can't be done. I have a few questions:

1) Can you form your tulpa based off of an anime character? Not the personality, just the basic design.

2) (This one I'm just genuinely curious about, not planning to actually try this) If the anime character were to be a vampire or angel or some other mythical being, would your tulpa be a vampire or angel or whatever? Would you be able to base it off of a vampire etc. anime character?

3) Is it okay to create a tulpa that is meant to be something of a love interest? Like, could you create a tulpa for the sole purpose of making him/her your "lover"? How often does a tulpa fall in love with the host?

4) If you were to hug your tulpa in public, would everyone else see you pretty much just hugging air?

Any answer is appreciated ^-^

-so anonymous

1) Can you form your tulpa based off of an anime character? Not the personality, just the basic design.

Sure, why not? Would it appear like a cosplayer of that character? Or do you mean that it would be like Who Framed Roger Rabbit or Cool World where it's real life people interacting with cartoons and the interface is too strange to sustain? Maybe it would be difficult for some people, but easy for others if that's the case.

2) If the anime character were to be a vampire or angel or some other mythical being, would your tulpa be a vampire or angel or whatever?

Your tulpa would be a tulpa. If you mean that they can hover around other people and drain them of energy, happiness, or even blood and the other person will literally get exhausted, depressed, and anemic...nope. If you mean that it can step between you and a car and ensure that you don't break any bones upon getting run over because it's protecting you...nope.

If you mean that it can act and appear to do those things, yes. Why not? And you can refer to your tulpa as a vampire or angel if it suits you.

3) Is it okay to create a tulpa that is meant to be something of a love interest? Like, could you create a tulpa for the sole purpose of making him/her your "lover"? How often does a tulpa fall in love with the host?

I consider that pretty common, but it's on a case-by-base basis. I'd recommend reading up on Carl Jung's "Animus" and "Anima" for a sort of psychological explanation of this manifesting in tulpas. (What I believe Carl Jung would call symbols, in his Active Imagination method of psychotherapy.)

4) If you were to hug your tulpa in public, would everyone else see you pretty much just hugging air?

Yes, unless you create a Wonderland that looks suspiciously like the real (corporeal) world and sort of interfaces or touches back to the corporeal world, and then imagine yourself hugging your tulpa there without moving your physical body to hug them.

So, I am new to the tulpa process, and what can and can't be done. I have a few questions:

Sure. Plenty of people have done it. This can look like anything from realistic (like a cosplayer) to this (image randomly selected from google image results for "anime character photoshopped into photo"). Probably the most visually satisfying would be either fully realistic or somewhere in between like some drawings that have shading for lighting. Pure flat shading would blend in less with reality and potentially look like a cardboard cutout -- not to say that it can't be done well.

My tulpas aren't imposed (yet), but Lyra and Evan are realistic and Anera is anime style with shading. None of them are directly based off an existing character though.

2) (This one I'm just genuinely curious about, not planning to actually try this) If the anime character were to be a vampire or angel or some other mythical being, would your tulpa be a vampire or angel or whatever? Would you be able to base it off of a vampire etc. anime character?

Why not? Obviously they couldn't actually suck blood out of you, there's nothing stopping you from making a mythical being. I've heard of dragons, slime girls, giant girls, lamias, Pokemon, etc.

I would not recommend it. It's okay if it happens, but I wouldn't make one with that as the main purpose. If they're going to love you, they should do it by choice, and not because you force them to.

Any answer is appreciated ^-^

-so anonymous

That is exactly what they would see. As for making it work at all, see q2's method for a huggable tulpa. Not very many have gotten tactile imposition to this point, but it does seem to be possible. Of course you can always hug them in your wonderland as well, and not look like an idiot in front of your friends.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

Guest amber5885

You can create a tulpa based on anything you want. Just keep in mind that they can and do sometimes deviate.

What I really wanted to address here is that you can't create a tulpa for the sole purpose of it being your lover. Let me explain.

It does happen, Toby and I are together but it has to happen on its own. You cannot force someone to fall in love with you.

Toby: I love amber because I wanted to and because she's a good person and it just kin of happened. But let's say for a second that I only saw her as a sister, a daughter or a friend and she still tried to force me to fill a boyfriend role, it would be inauthentic and damaging if not to say the least.

I can promise you that I would have been angry at her for not respecting my boundaries and the bond we have would not be there.

How would you feel if someone you had no feelings for forced you to enter a relationship with them despite your wishes? Or forced you to have sex with them?

It's pretty troubling when the shoe is on the other foot.

Just aim to create someone to enrich your life, you could end up with a love OR through showing your tulpa the respect they deserve you could end up with something so much more.

Other than that your imagination is the limit just keep in mind that we are our own people and she may decide to make some changes but I highly doubt that you won't like them.

Also no one but you can see your tulpa so yea you would me hugging air.

Everyone has already answered ten times, but these questions seem pretty relevant to my tulpas, so I'll throw my comments in anyway.

My tulpas are all based off "anime characters" (actually video game characters), their forms largely based on fan art images. Their base personalities had to do with my version of the fanon, but they're largely their own people.

Flandre Scarlet is a vampire. My Flan is.. the same form and not a vampire? Not a big difference honestly. Could work vice versa too. Your tulpa can be/act however you want. Reisen is a moon rabbit.

Reisen was created by my subconscious to help me feel loved at a dark time in my life. She represents love where Tewi represents intuition and Flandre humanity(Ironic, now that I've called her a vampire). I love each of them and could reasonably consider Reisen a "love interest", though she's a lot more to me than that.

And in public, I like to impose my tulpas walking with me at university. I don't really interact with them directly though, and I've had to learn to smile/laugh internally because of them. I don't physically hug them much (doesn't work so well outside of visualization/dreams), as much as send loving thoughts their way. You get used to doing things in your head, I guess.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

I love answering questions!

Their form is only limited by your imagination and if they decide to choose their own. But, having something to go off of does make visualizing your tulpa easier.

Ditto.

Short answer: you could... However, your reason for doing so could go into the whole sex-slave thing.

Short story: Before I created her, I didn't intend Starfire to be in love with me. Nor did I expect to fall in love with her. But, she fell in love with me first. Funny story, too. But, I won't tell it 'cause it might go into rated M. Anyway, we're happy together.

Yes, as no one else can see your tulpa.

I call him Lance

Favorite Quote

"It's what I live for."

However, your reason for doing so could go into the whole sex-slave thing.

In my opinion, if the tulpamancer must enslave the tulpa, it would be by parroting and therefore it would just be a fantasy without any harm really done. (At least, not more harm than the prior context, of maybe carrying sexually objectifying attitudes. I'll get back to that.)

As long as the tulpa has what appears to be the element of resistance, because it's a product of the subconscious with an immaterial nature and its own will, I don't believe that it can be conditioned to be enslaved like a lot of real-life people who have been tortured and brainwashed or shunned into poverty or blackmailed into doing sexual favors or whatever.

If that goal is fulfilled, it would in my opinion be interesting to analyze if that comes about as a product of repressed loneliness, that is, the subconscious instinct for fulfilling company that is externalized (nothing wrong with that) or sexual self-objectification because the tulpa comes from a person's own mind (sad, but interesting and could be helpful to work through in this way) or an irrepressible expression of romantic love and/or loyalty (also nothing wrong with that.)