The Correlation of Believing in Sentience and Genuine Sentience

Bambi

When I first started tulpamancing, I read somewhere 'round here that it was best to say that the tulpa was sentient from the start, even if I didn't actually believe it. This notion has stuck with me and I believe in it, at least for me, but I'm curious to see if there's any "general correlation" between saying, "Hey, you're sentient now!" and when they actually show their sentience.

Here's a key for the options:

fast - anywhere between the first day to one week

medium - anywhere between eight days to three months

slow - three months and one day or over

When you're telling your answers, please choose the one that is closest to what happened. Thanskies. ^^

1) I said but did not believe that my tulpa was sentient. Sentience was . . .

a) fast

b) medium

c) slow

2) I said and believed that my tulpa was sentient. Sentience was . . .

a) fast

b) medium

c) slow

3) I was more in the middle between believing that my tulpa was sentient from the start. Sentience was . . .

a) fast

b) medium

c) slow

4) I did not say that my tulpa was sentient from the start, but I believed it. Sentience was . . .

a) fast

b) medium

c) slow

5) I neither said nor believed that my tulpa was sentient from the start. Sentience was . . .

a) fast

b) medium

c) slow

6) Other (please elaborate)

My answer: I said and believed that James was sentient the first day I started, and he showed me that he was sentient within three days' time.

James: Hello, all!

For me it was 4a but I guess I'm not a reference as I didn't create my tulpa from scratch but turned a long existing quasi-sentinent character into one.

3b with Noriko (first successful tulpa)

4a with Sabari (second successful tulpa)

Currently share myself with four other entities.

Noriko was created on December 15, 2014.  Sabari was created by Noriko on January 22, 2015.

Anzu was reborn on May 23, 2016.  Xiri returned on June 16, 2018.  Both had been inactive since 2012.

Progress Report | Ask a Question Thread

2a with Persephone and Rikki.

They're both only a few days old, but I was getting emotional responses/singing within the first eight hours, a small amount of vocalization from Persephone by the second day, independent wonderland construction from Rikki by the third day (although she was 'gone' most of the day before, so I get the sense that's what she was working on), and the ability to sense whether one or both of them is 'present.' Progress has been patchy in some areas, especially since this is so early in development, but assuming sentience has worked really well for me so far.

3a for Lucy.

It's a very new phenomenon for me, yet I got responses incredibly quickly.

Lucy is my only tulpa to date. I 'created' her on February 1, 2015.

(Why the airquotes? Well, I'd been talking to someone in my head before that but always assumed that person to be male...then I found out she wasn't.)

• 1 month later...

It was 2b for me and Markus. She says she wasn't really sentient back then and can only remember bits of stuff from back then.

Markus is the tulpa, and I don't really have anything else to say.

Markus speaks in Blue!

5b and 2a for my girls.

Melody came around before I knew what sentience was, and I didn't know a thing about the creation process or tulpamancy at the time. I didn't believe in her sentience, but I didn't really disbelieve it either. She was just... there. Nowadays of course I believe in her completely.

Caramel started off with full belief since I already had past experience with Melody. She's developing much faster.

-Missy

3B, here

I considered sentience something that had to be worked at to form, but didn't discount the possibility of sentience from the start. I basically treated him as if he was sentient, and took things as they came. Solid signs of sentience came after about two weeks.

We're all gonna make it brah.