Symbol that would represent the tulpa phenomenon

Angel

Hi there. I'll skip the introduction because I'm not that type, maybe later.

I'll ask a question. What symbol or character would represent the tulpa phenomenon the best except the letter 'T'?

The most plain definition of tulpa is a mind created by already existing one.

I don't know what would be a symbol for mind either but if I'd know, it would be a symbol inside the same symbol that would represent the tulpa phenomenon.

Please share your ideas.

Well, there is a symbol lots of people use, which you can find with a google image search of "tulpa symbol". I think that symbol comes from the show Supernatural though. It looks nothing like the way Wikipedia says "tulpa" is written in Tibetan.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

I sat down to think about ways to approach this:

] We can take an artistic approach and create a symbol that symbolizes tulpa and possibly aspects of our philosophy.

] We can go history-heavy route and search for a symbol with historical significance to tulpa, and use that or add further to it.

] Mix the two previous.

] Do something I didn't mention.

The historic route is the most historically correct, but as tulpa knowledge has changed so much, I believe we could be justified in creation of our own symbol. I find myself surprisingly indifferent on the matter, but I believe this to be from a need for sleep.

Of course, as for becoming a symbol that people can easily use, we'd have to keep it simple enough to draw in less than thirty seconds with a crayon. Anything more complex would be too complex.

I like the symbol that sushi mentioned, as it is quite simple, but I dislike it for its less-than relevant origins.

Finally, to cement it, we'd have to get the community to vote upon a poll, have a few official announcements, and then finally create a tulpa Wikipedia page regarding more modern tulpa because the present one is about old Tibetan tulpa.

Somewhere on one of the IRC servers there is a MOTD with some strange, appearingly complex symbol in ASCII-art. I will try to post in alongside the common one that sushi mentioned.

We need more ideas before we may act.

I like the symbol that sushi mentioned, as it is quite simple, but I dislike it for its less-than relevant origins.

Exactly how I feel. It also has the advantage that people already know and use it in the community.

According to wikipedia, this seems to be how you write it in Tibetan. 21afh2x.png

I think that's the only thing you'll find with historic significance.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

Thanks for finding us the Tibetan, Sushi. It's might be the best bet if someone wants to get a tattoo or something. But it's still not the best symbol particularly. Too complex to draw accurately compared to the T-with-spirals symbol.

And it would be nice to have a symbol that actually means plural community at large, up to and including healthy multiplicity and Dissociative Identity and maybe even be the official symbol for little kids who are just starting with imaginary friends. I've looked at multiplicity symbols, but they generally just look like Venn diagrams of overlapping symbols which might be the right idea, but isn't fun to draw

Early member of a large system.  Our system questions the way the afterlife and tulpamancy interact.  We genuinely suspect that deadies can return to share the mind of the living.

According to wikipedia, this seems to be how you write it in Tibetan.

Well, that's clunky and lopsided. There may be other historical symbols that refer to things similar to the tulpa phenomenon.

As for the things I claimed that I may bring:

For reference, the common tulpa symbol:

uMib50q.jpg

-and what I thought was something interesting, but it is actually just a Chinese symbol for love, as used by eros.tulpa.info:

iQVduvz.png?

I don't find either truly relevant to the community.

I'd originally hoped to post those using the ASCII I found them in, but it was too bothersome.

And it would be nice to have a symbol that actually means plural community at large, up to and including healthy multiplicity and Dissociative Identity and maybe even be the official symbol for little kids who are just starting with imaginary friends.

This idea is interesting, but I fear to speak for other communities beyond our own.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got an idea for a symbol if anyone is still interested. What about a circle to represent the soul with a dot and an infinity figure-of-eight in the middle. The dot would would represent the original human consciousness while the infinity symbol would represent the Tulpa consciousness(s). Having an encompassing circle to represent the soul would be a direct reference to the Buddhist belief that the soul is the only reality while our perceived conscience is the illusion (our percieved conscience being represented by the dot in the middle)

• 2 years later...

Not sure what the policy is for bumping old threads (I checked the rules, but didn't see anything), so I decided to put my two cents in and attempt to create something that may symbolically represent the tulpa community and philosophy. I decided to keep the iconic "T" we've grown accustomed to, as well as the "swirl" from the Supernatural's rendition of the Tulpa (it's history no matter how you look at it). The rest comes inspired by Japanese Kanji and symbolism that aims to describe the raw concept of Tulpamancy. 

I'm not the greatest with Illustrator or vectors, so I implore anyone who can help improve its design or overall quality to do so. (I say first hand, it looks much better freehand on paper.)

Thank you! We have thoroughly enjoyed our stay here in this fine community. :D

-Rebus & Twilight

1235229251_Tulpagma(2).thumb.png.b5976d90fc753b16561c9da88295ac1d.png