Can my tulpa possess me against my own will?

Synonym Bun

No. As far as I know, a tulpa cannot take control over your body without consent. Even if they could, unless you are intentionally making your tulpa evil, they would do nothing to hurt you. Creepy pastas(if that is where you have heard this) have little to no truth in them, and evil voodoo tulpas taking you over is a load of rubbish.

I assume that you are new, so welcome to the forums!

Part of the road to becoming a better person lies in defeating the darkness inside yourself, then helping others to do the same.

There is nothing to compare to watching a sunrise with those who you love the most.

"Step by step, moment by moment"

No, this is impossible. Your tulpa cannot possess you without your consent, and--just as DragonFriend said--so long as they aren't evil they won't hurt you (though if you beat them or rape them and they try to hurt you then I don't think that'd be them being evil--and no, I'm not saying that you would do that. just throwing it out there).

James: Hello, all!

Actually, I have to pretty strongly disagree with DragonFriend and Bambi. It is definitely possible for a tulpa to possess, eclipse, and even switch against your will. If they get enough experience with controlling the body in some way or another, they will get strong enough to be able to do that. Just, generally, the host controls the body so much more that the host stays strong enough to be hard to boot from control for more than a very brief moment, though there is a rather clever trick a tulpa can pull at a lower strength. That said, if you treat your tulpas with respect and as people and you communicate, there won't be any problems. You will get along well enough that this sort of thing won't happen except in emergencies. Say, a tulpa notices you are about to be hit by a car, takes control, and makes the body jump out of the way. That is a pretty nice thing to do actually.

With my own system, T will probably be able to do it in not too long. They are already strong enough that once they get a grip on the whole body, i would be hard pressed to take it back. Probably can't at all once they turn my thoughts off. They have definitely been able to take over the voice without asking first. And all of my tulpas can forcibly blend/blur me by just connecting to the body. Temporarily modifies me to share their inclinations meaning it is not hard to get me to do what they want me to do even if I would otherwise not do it. I do not worry, though. We trust each other and they are good people. If I am completely honest, they are probably better and more moral people than I am. Trust is key. They have not abused mine.

I know a tulpa who has been able to forcibly switch on more than one occasion. I know the topic has been discussed here a ton, but I am having a hard time finding links. Here is one

- Hail

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.

This is where things come into controversy. Although I've talked and read about many who are practicing switching and possession, you're the only one who's said they *can* without the tulpamancer's consent. I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I am saying that I don't think it's quite as simple as all that.

The tulpa and the human's brains are one in the same, even if the consciousness is not. Whether we realize what is going on in your surroundings or you don't doesn't mean that your brain's doesn't pick up on such things, meaning that your tulpa does.

Let's talk about the given example, in that you're driving in your car and you're about to wreck. Even if you don't realize what is about to happen, your tulpa does--and that is because your brain recognizes it. The brain's primary function is to get you in bed that night, well and alive, and so it's going to start "thinking" of ways to save your butt. That's where the tulpa comes in. Although you may not have expressly gave permission, your subconscious brain did, and that reads the same thing. Thus, such a thing would not be your tulpa taking over without your permission *at all*. Your subconscious brain is still you.

Such a thing could happen in several other ways, and the situation would never need to be dire. There's an easy way around this: ask your tulpa not to do it unless you express your permission. Boom. Done and done.

As for tulpas possessing you and hurting you . . . that part I'm afraid I don't believe. It stems from Creepypasta's B.S. and I personally think any story out there about this is just people trying to scare other people.

Conclusion: Don't forget that there's a "conscious" brain and an "unconscious" brain, and that the tulpa is always in tune with the latter unless you ask them not to be. You don't have to say, "Hey, come take over me" for that to happen, no--but it's so unlikely it would ever happen without you truly wanting/needing it to. Think a bit of deviation, where the form changes without your will but is still satisfactory in the long run, even if at first you're disconcerted or annoyed.

James: Hello, all!

This is where things come into controversy. Although I've talked and read about many who are practicing switching and possession, you're the only one who's said they *can* without the tulpamancer's consent. I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I am saying that I don't think it's quite as simple as all that.

I am not quite the only one who says this. But yes, not many people do say it. And you are right, it is anything but simple.

I know I should be giving examples from other systems, but there is one more from my own. There are 7 members in my system, but only 6 listed in the account's signature. S, the other member, is actually the original. She was born in the body. I came to be when she was age 5-7. Hard to classify what I am. Am I a split or am a tulpa or something else entirely. She sort of made me in many ways. I was her mask that she put on to the world and eventually that mask became a full person and dominant. Usually, we are loosely combined together, but when we separate (like we did last spring) I am the one in control. Even at her strongest, I can override her. And currently, she is the weakest one here. She wouldn't even be able to move an arm with permission now. And this was not by her choice either. She wants really badly to be back out and be able to control the body. The order of strength is

Hail (who knows what the hell I am but I usually go with alter) > T (subsystem of 3 tulpas) > E (tulpa) > A (tulpa) > S (original)

Yeah, got a few weird things going on in here that are a bit unusual around here, like also being multiple.

The tulpa and the human's brains are one in the same, even if the consciousness is not. Whether we realize what is going on in your surroundings or you don't doesn't mean that your brain's doesn't pick up on such things, meaning that your tulpa does.

Let's talk about the given example, in that you're driving in your car and you're about to wreck. Even if you don't realize what is about to happen, your tulpa does--and that is because your brain recognizes it. The brain's primary function is to get you in bed that night, well and alive, and so it's going to start "thinking" of ways to save your butt. That's where the tulpa comes in. Although you may not have expressly gave permission, your subconscious brain did, and that reads the same thing. Thus, such a thing would not be your tulpa taking over without your permission *at all*. Your subconscious brain is still you.

Who says the subconsious is anybody in the system. Why is the subconscious an extension of the host instead of the tulpa, both, or neither? When talking about permission, it doesn't really make sense to talk about the subconscious giving permission and thus that means the host did. Or at least, it doesn't make sense unless it is established that the subconscious is part of the host and not part of the tulpa.

Such a thing could happen in several other ways, and the situation would never need to be dire. There's an easy way around this: ask your tulpa not to do it unless you express your permission. Boom. Done and done.

That is a good policy. Fundamentally, forcibly possessing, eclipsing, and switching does not do well for trust and can destroy the relationships between the parties involved. Should only be done in emergencies or when the collective agreed upon rules require it (last resort, though). Trust after all. But a strong tulpa could still do it if they decided to.

As for tulpas possessing you and hurting you . . . that part I'm afraid I don't believe. It stems from Creepypasta's B.S. and I personally think any story out there about this is just people trying to scare other people.

I don't really give creepypastas much thought. Besides, the actual ways something disastrous can come to happen with tulpas at the helm are almost always accidental or not knowing better as opposed to being from malice. Like the one tulpa I gave as an example. She is basically a 4 year old. She wanted a coloring book from the story and when they were driving past the store, she noticed it and forcibly switched to turn into the parking lot and nearly rolled the vehicle over. No malice there. Just, she's a little kid and didn't know about the dangers of what she did.

Conclusion: Don't forget that there's a "conscious" brain and an "unconscious" brain, and that the tulpa is always in tune with the latter unless you ask them not to be. You don't have to say, "Hey, come take over me" for that to happen, no--but it's so unlikely it would ever happen without you truly wanting/needing it to. Think a bit of deviation, where the form changes without your will but is still satisfactory in the long run, even if at first you're disconcerted or annoyed.

I guess I think tulpas are much more independent of the host/s and their existences and how they operate are much more symmetrical (basically, only difference between a host and a tulpa is age and environment grown up in, but neither are innately more connected to the "conscious" or "unconscious" brain). The host is probably closest to a headmate in multiple systems. In the plural systems that are multiple and have tulpas, there often is little difference between the headmates and the tulpas. Sometimes a different feel, but not much more than that. In my own system, no difference. This is why I say hosts and tulpas are more symmetrical.

- Hail

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.

Conscious/unconscious isn't like 2 separate minds the way you make it sound like. Your brain has a lot of different things going on in it. There are things you are always conscious of, like what you're thinking or where you're going. There are also things you can never really be conscious of, like a good deal of your visual processing. Then there are things that can go either way: the fact that you kinda have to go to the bathroom but not that badly, what's in the room around you, things you want on some deep level, etc. There are plenty of borderline things between these categories too. We loosely group the things you're not generally aware of as "subconscious" or "unconscious". Some make a distinction between the two terms but I haven't seen the distinction made in anything with real authority. It doesn't make your subconscious like a separate mind; it's just a loose collection of thought processes you're not aware of, and we group and label them like this for convenience.

There are parts of the subconscious that are separate per tulpa, and parts that are shared. For instance, you and your tulpa may have different desires they aren't consciously aware of, or evaluate what's needed differently. If you feel a need one way and your tulpa feels an equally strong or stronger need a different way, I wouldn't be that surprised if they're able to force-possess. It is however rare, and they almost always respect your wishes all the time.

As for maliciously hurting you, I find that a lot less likely. I've heard of this occasionally in dissociative identity disorder, though it usually stems from a severe misunderstanding between the primary consciousness and an alter. That sort of thing is a lot less likely to happen with a tulpa because they're created intentionally and knowingly, and are usually on good terms with their host. I can however see well-intentioned but poorly thought out or clumsily executed actions causing harm, particularly when a tulpa is just learning to possess or switch.

My tulpas don't really have any usable possession working yet, but once in a while they do some small movements without asking or me handing over control. It feels like the same sort of weird tingling when I focus on the body part, but not like I'm doing it, and often accompanied by a sense that the body part is in a way not mine. I usually notice it almost immediately, make sure it's one of them, watch and give feedback. I told them long ago that they could try it, and I can override their movements if I'm conscious of them doing it and want to, so it's not truly forced but it is without passing them control on any conscious level.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

I would speculate that it depends on how strong your will is.

If you're extremely determined not to be possessed, then it'll probably be impossible under any circumstance.

If, on the other hand you willingly share possession of your body (i.e. let the tulpa use it so much that they're as familiar with it as you), then there's the probability that they might be able to momentarily move your body by surprise when you aren't paying attention.

Note: that would require an experienced tulpa and distracted host.

As for locking you out and doing what they please against your will - that goes into the realm of dissociative identity disorder.

At that point, they're no longer a tulpa, but rather a co-host with as much (or more) natural association to the physical body as you - i.e the other personality is more developed than your own and has more control of the overall brain. They are not a separate entity within you, but a rather part of you, yourself.

Note: That's a serious medical condition we're talking about here.

Personally, I can't speak from experience because I'm a control-freak and therefore even have trouble attempting to willingly relinquish control of my body.

I'm probably too attached to my body to ever have it possessed without my prior approval and full-time supervision. i.e. I default to "blocking mode" (full control) when I'm not actively focusing on not controlling my own body.

So, I guess, the only experience that I have is that which tells me that my body is mine, and mine alone.