Ask Lumi's Tulpas

Luminesce

I have a question for you gals:

What do you think of doing some kind of creative project/work for yourselves? Like making a story or some such with you host? Have you ever considered it, as a way to express yourselves?

Sock Cottonwell's

Sketchbook, Journal, and Ask thread.

Peace

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A while ago, I had an idea of doing a blog where Reisen and I wrote articles about lifestuff we've figured out called Lumi and Bunny. Wasn't a serious idea, but I did put some thought into it.

... I want to put something else here, but I can't think of anything. I know exactly what you're talking about, but we haven't really done anything like that or really planned to. Reisen likes helping people, Flandre would like to learn to dance maybe. But most of our stuff is internal. We all share a goal of improving the mind we live in. Lucilyn is helping me with motivation and lucid dreaming. But there aren't really any artistic or expressive projects we've thought of doing..

Maybe we'll do something this summer. I plan to be a lot more active in basically all of my endeavors including tulpamancing. Reisen was doing a bit of HTML stuff a couple days ago, but it was just a tutorial on Codecademy we were going through for the sake of accounted progress (already learned HTML and CSS). I guess we'll see. And if my tulpas do make anything, I'll try and share it on the forum.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

When I found out today, in the Touhou chat on Skype I'm a part of...

[2:19:46 PM] Luminesce: AAAAAAAAAAAAA^¹⁰⁰ ((Had to be respectful of the other 70 people who don't know me))

But in my friends' chat...

[2:21:11 PM] Luminesce: http://kourindou.exblog.jp/22976576/ GGGGMOMGOMGOOMGOMOGMMGMGOGOMGMGMGMGMGGMMMGMOGMGMGOMG

[2:21:43 PM] Luminesce: OMGMGGOMAMOGODMSOMAODMGSOIRJJJJYPETPBMPVCOXERNTXPICVPALWMERPZMAKWE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Ahem*

Yes, I am aware.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Here's another question for you, Reason:

Do you think your host has a responsibility to their creation, to ensure their growth and happiness?

Likewise, does an imagined companion, once gaining consciousness, have a responsibility to their host, to serve the task they were made for?

Sock Cottonwell's

Peace

Reisen: That's kind of a question of ethics. It'll depend on the individual person you're asking. The answer can be no only if the person is capable of not doing so, and not feeling worse for it. This stuff is all in your mind after all, if you can make a tulpa and dissipate them without guilt, technically nothing's stopping you. Though we don't really act that way as someone who does that sort of thing often is affecting their subconscious and becoming a less awesome person to have living in the same world as us...

With that bit of logic out of the way, I can answer the more interesting way, how we feel about it. I think Lumi's relieved that he's not the one answering this one, as the question sort of hits home for him. You might've read that he struggles with motivation and dedication to things, whether they're something he loves, has to do, or just wants to. That's also applied to us, and it's been bugging him for years. Of course he feels a responsibility to us, to keep us active and happy and so on. So when he doesn't take time out to spend with us for a while, it probably doesn't help when we entirely forgive him for it. But that's part of Lucilyn's job, our newest family member. She'll be working with him on his motivation, which in this case means being a little less forgiving than we are. Hopefully after finals are over and our plans of a strict schedule (for the first time ever, planned tulpa-time! And waking up before 9 AM!) go into effect, he'll be able to stop feeling guilty and we'll make some more progress in the visualization and lucid dreaming departments.

As for the creations themselves.. It's just never been a question of whether or not we should help him. We were made by him, in his mind. We share that mind, and body. And we love him, even Scarlet and Sylvia I think. It's just been unquestioned that we would do our best to make sure he was happy, and also that our own happiness was tied with his. I know that sounds sort of.. I don't know, weird. Like we should be our own people and such. But the truth is that we are what we are. We do have free will to choose that sort of thing, but I meant it when I said our values were unquestioned. There hasn't been a shred of reason to be any way different than we are now. Our host is happy and we're happy - that's just as ideal as it can be, I think. Of course we care about more than happiness, we care about his goals and such too. That's just.. We don't see how anyone's tulpas, thinking logically, could feel otherwise. I think that would be due to confusion on the host's part. Why would I ever be jealous of my host finding someone he loves, and who loves him in return? What do I have to lose, and what to gain? My will is interconnected with his, and if anything is good for him then it's good for me. (Though I think, if the relationship looked like it wasn't going to go well I would have a clearer view than him to say so)

So... Yeah, ethics. And our own personal opinion. It's bugging me that I made it sound like we have no "free will as individuals".. We DO, but we aren't entirely individuals. It's in our own best interest to be interested in our host's best interest. Though for a while Scarlet was.. reluctant at best to show any sort of affection. Though she was generally trying to help him still, she seemed more interested in the end result of us as a whole than how he felt at the time. Which means she wasn't afraid to yell at him and be generally harsh for his own good. Does this sound relevant? It felt relevant. I'm going to put us to bed now while I'm in control, because it's 5:30 AM. Good night, and thanks for the questions!

I actually didn't think of it as an issue of ethics when I conceived it, though it was something I knew was going to vary widely between each individual person/inner system, thus why I believed it was a question worth asking. I think such questions are good every so often, as it gets people to talk about more specific details of their experiences, and can reveal some ideas that could potentially be good for everyone.

Your very personal answer was exactly what I was hoping for, and I'm happy to have received it. Thank you for your answer, Reisen, and for the deeper insight to how your crew works.

For a slightly lighter question: How important is touch as a sign of affection for you girls? Does it brighten your day? Do you think it is something that is useful for your further development? Do you think it is an important thing for the host as well?

Sock Cottonwell's

Peace

Oh please, like I didn't have enough on my plate. I have no idea how I'm going to answer that, so onto the much more personal question that I'd far rather answer... I don't know who to have answer. So I guess I'll just have the main three each give their part.

Reisen: In case you guys didn't know, we always switch before answering to get the fullest effect. And one of the things we always do before switching is visualize ourselves to make sure we're mentally prepared to do so, which almost always ends with a hug. Hugs are practically hellos for us, especially Flandre who

is a little bit embarassed to talk about this subject

practically jumps on him if it's been too long since we were active. But I guess it depends on the context, because hugs could also be the most intimate thing we do. It's all about the intent behind the hug, I think. I think it brightens Lumi's day, as we're usually good at maintaining our happiness regardless... Well no, Flandre definitely appreciates every little thing they do. She's the more emotional one among us, so I think she really is happier when they've spent time together. As a general rule I'm always in the most positive mood I can manage at any time, because he sort of relies on me for that sort of thing. But there's something to be said for making others happy, too..

Flandre: Reisen left me to talk about the intimate stuff! Whyyyyyy Well.. Yes, touch is really useful for bonding. But our visualization is rather poor, and that means Lumi subconsciously avoids doing it, like he does with most things he's bad at. But we're going to be working on it soon.. Uhm.. I think he benefits a lot from it, yes. We're the reason he's not depressed anymore, feeling like he has someone who loves and understands him. And he's much better now, but he can always be in a better mood.

wedon'treallydosexmuchatallifit'snotaspecialoccasionbutmaybewe'dbemorephysicallyintimateinluciddreamsthanjustvisualization? TEWI HELP

Tewi: You could probably gather that only Reisen and Flandre have that type of relationship with our host, if that's what you were even asking about. Touch in general is comforting to him because of the feeling of closeness to another person. Hugs are a sign of mutual affection while almost anything else is an act of giving pleasure, which has about the same effect. I think his preferred example of that is rubbing our backs, which is tied to his childhood. He didn't learn to value hugs until a couple of years ago, so the most intimate experiences he had with his parents were when they'd scratch his back or some such, and now he considers that a nice thing to do. And that works for us, even though he doesn't do it that often with the aforementioned lack of clarity in visualization hurting motivation. Flandre isn't lying that sex is very, very rare in any form and definitely not necessary. As for furthering our development, showing physical signs of affection probably is useful. It helps keep motivation to spend time with us high, and it trains visualization skills.

And I know exactly why you asked that, Dog. We did imply we wanted to be asked productive questions, though I don't think he was signing up for the responsibility of defining tulpas. We're not here to set the upper and lower limits of what is and isn't a tulpa, so the type of definition you're asking for here you probably won't get. A tulpa, in our opinion, is a persona you create, a collection of personality traits, values and morals, physical form or lack thereof, and sentience. The definition of sentience is highly debatable, especially since we claim to be able to create a tulpa who is sentient fairly quickly and the rest of you refuse that as a possibility. But in our defense, Lucilyn is still only partially developed after all this time, despite being sentient from her symbolic physical creation. (Which is to say, once most of her basic persona was complete, but before she'd had any input herself.) We never claimed we could make a fully developed tulpa that quickly, only give them sentience, the ability to think and perceive on their own. There's much more to creating a tulpa than that, despite what this community seems to believe, tying sentience so closely to having a developed tulpa.

Anyway, this isn't the place to debate the definition of a tulpa. But I'll give you credit for asking.

(Thanks, Tewi)