Ask Lumi's Tulpas

Luminesce

Ahoy Lumi, Reisen, and the Eastlanders...

This one is for the thought folk, though it is nothing really heavy: What do you guys admire about your host? Like, which good quality do you feel is something you either wish you had, or are seeking to get, that you host has?

Sock Cottonwell's

Sketchbook, Journal, and Ask thread.

Peace

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reisen: Flan and I both have a similar admiration - we admire his ability to experience life and learn from it. We can too, to an extent, of course, but it seems like only he gets the full experience. I admire that he could go from depression to hope to love, that he can give and receive from the world. Flandre admires that he can be changed by it. That's a thought provoking question, we might look into it more later.

Tewi: Along those same lines, I admire that he has emotive responses. I admire that he can admire things, be happy or sad or just generally human. But that's admiration, not envy. I don't necessarily want that for myself.. I just admire it.

Lucilyn was going to say she admired that he had the physical ability to dance in the rain. But then he reminded her she could, through switching. So I think we have plans for tomorrow night now, assuming it's raining at 3 AM.

That's probably due to her favorite song, by the way. She's still pretty young and most of our happiest memories together were of dancing to that song in the wonderland. I actually liked the song before creating her, but her happiness is infectious when we listen to it together and really boosts that "like" to a "love".

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Is it difficult having more then one tulpa? Do you ever have increased headaches or day-dreams due to it?

I've never gotten headaches or even headpressure from tulpa-related activities, and I'm not a daydreamer (hence my terrible visualization skills, though they get better with practice).

If you have more than one tulpa, your attention is split between them. If you have four, technically they all receive 1/4 as much attention, but I like to do things with all of us together. Three of my tulpas came into existence long before I even knew about tulpas, and at the time I felt they needed a "purpose" - like the "life purpose" every human being wants to find, but tulpas don't really get the whole human experience, so theirs were a little more clear. The reason I have multiple tulpas is because there were multiple important purposes to fill, Reisen's being teaching me love. Recently I felt the possibility for another tulpa, and so created my first in years, Lucilyn.

I wouldn't recommend at all a beginner make multiple tulpas. Flandre and Tewi were spontaneous tulpas years ago, I probably shouldn't have had three at that point. I'd say develop one first, and if you and they both want to, you can maybe work on another together once you're both comfortable with the first's existence. It's common to treat them like family or even an instantly-grown newborn. In our case, Lucilyn feels sort of like a daughter/younger-sister figure. She can think well enough by now, but her form and personality sort of contribute to that childlike appearance.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Guest Anonymous

I love how you describe creating or finding a purpose for each tulpa! That is brilliant. I have talked about my personal self fulfillment, but rarely self fulfillment for Melian. It is my attitude that Melian is more a creation or mechanism for me than a person. I am neglecting her needs maybe? I haven't thought about that much over the years honestly. She does make some demands though and usually gets what she wants because she pouts or has a tantrum.

I often wonder if I could even make another thoughtform. The first and only one I ever made took a huge amount of obsession and thought. Pretty much all of my spare thinking was dedicated to her for years. I read about the focus and determination that tulpamancers have in creating a tulpa from scratch, on purpose, and I am stunned by that (and frankly envious). I don't have that kind of discipline. Melian was easy because I wanted desperately to "spend time with her." It was complete infatuation and total immersion.

I can't imagine having multiple thoughtforms in my mind. Melian is a time and attention hog to profound levels. At times she drives me almost frantic for quiet. A friend of mine has reintroduced me to meditation. She uses it to calm her own overactive mind. It really helps a lot, but we can't do it 24-7. I have a wonderful vivid image of Melian and I meditating together when we find those quiet moments. We either sit on a beach by the waves, or under a cherry tree on a cliff overlooking the ocean below or float in the astral plane on little floating carpets. ~Mistgod

164x184http://pre07.deviantart.net/55cc/th/pre/i/2014/165/8/8/melian_meditating_in_the_stars_by_melianofmist-d7mf2ey.jpg[/img]

Have you ever used or do you use any music during forcing sessions - I figure since you recently started with the latest addition to the family that maybe you had. ( for example binurial beats etc) - I came across it and was curious I guess. I figure you wouldn't have for Reisen, Tewi or Flandre as they're so much older ( sorry girls XD ) and as such were not created in the traditional sense we now come to know in the plethora of guides.

gah and also if you have indeed done so did it have a noticeable effect from

Any of their viewpoints?

Actually, music had a large part in shaping the personalities of my original "spontaneous" tulpas. I feel like I have a much more intimate relationship with my music than most people - every song is meaningful and important to me, or was at some point. The idea of "listening to music in the background" or on shuffle was almost offensive to me for a long time. I pretty much manually pick each song I want to listen to as I want to listen to it.

Anyways, a lot of songs that I liked related to them (the Touhou characters) and how they portrayed the characters (through feeling, voice and personality) shaped them a lot early on, especially before I had my head wrapped around the whole tulpa thing. I literally have genres named after them in my iTunes. These range from nice arranges of their themes to songs they like to ones important to us in some way, especially ones that strengthen their presence. As for forcing, I'd say I tend to listen to music that helps me feel closer to them before doing anything intensive... Like having a conversation. But uh, should note that I can't ignore music while it's playing, and that means it's a little hard to talk during the more feels-y songs. I generally listen to the song(s) before "forcing". Sometimes we just enjoy listening to the music together though, as is the case with Lucilyn's favorite hobby. Her happiness in listening to Rain Dance has made me like the song 10x more than I would've, purely through positive association with being so dang happy.

We don't really "force", though. We just do things. Sometimes I really do spend time practicing visualization instead of actually practicing through use, but most often we "force" by doing. That's how I learned to develop them before I knew about tulpas, and I haven't really changed that. We force by talking about things, doing things in the wonderland, and believe it or not we sometimes practice imposition while dancing to aforementioned music. I use music to strengthen their presence, improve my mood, or just otherwise promote goodfeels before doing most tulpastuff. I've never gotten much effect out of binaural beats, despite the 70 plays of a 10 minute one for meditation in my iTunes. And the music associated with them works so well I've never bothered looking for an alternative.

Now, my tulpas are Touhou characters for the most part. Touhou has a massive fandom, and it's practically centered around music associated with the characters. Not everyone

ie. not anyone

has that luxury. So I'd just say, find music that reminds you of your tulpa. There are a few songs that aren't Touhou arranges that I still associate with my tulpas, and those work as well as any other. And if you don't have those, then just listen to music that either puts you into a calm/meditative mood, or - just listen to something that makes you happy. Being happy makes you so much more productive, motivated, and pleasant to be around than being unhappy or neutral. So if that sounds good to you, I recommend it.

But people are different, and I'm probably very different, when it comes to music. And my tulpas. If you can listen to music while forcing and keep your focus, then do that. If music doesn't affect you like it does me (and I'm sure it must, having asked this question), do that. And if not, don't. Things like binaural beats/isochronic tones are so different for every person there's really no reason to ask for others' experiences; try them yourself and see what happens.

As for if it makes a difference to them - definitely. I mean, being really happy and doing stuff together just sort of speaks for itself. But yeah, most of our strong improvements have come from really positive sessions, not boring let's-talk-about-things ones. Those are good for dealing with serious matters. But visualization, personality forcing, imposition and whatever have you all go much more smoothly for me when I'm in a really positive mood. Just my experience though, do things yourself and see what works. Music works for me because I'm very attached to mine and it inspires me.

Yeah you would be spot on about the music being a big thing to me. One of the things I often complain about is the lack of what I feel to be properly gripping sound tracks in many movies. Some of them I really like, but others I feel just don't have enough .. I don't know. Feeling to them?

Anyways - I guess I've already got several 'my tulpa' songs so to speak, so that's cool, and I do tend to associate songs very strongly with whatever I was doing when I heard them usually. So even songs I hear from like 20 years ago remind me immediately of playing a certain game, or something like that- very vividly.

Anyway. Thanks for answerin that- hopefully I can put it to good use!

An I suppose given this wasn't really a question - uh.. Ah yeah- do you guys have 'birthdays' so to speak? I presume it's hard to nail it down?

"Huh, I've already Liked this. And it's by Moro? I wonder why I haven't - ohhh. Gay bar."

I'm pretty picky. I've heard the better half of all of Reisen's theme arranges. Still find new ones every once in a while though.

And I never even attempted to recall birthdays, since there was no specific date where any of them came into existence, being spontaneous "tulpas" and not knowing what they were (to me) for years. We treat the full moon as our primary celebration day, and since it's pretty much monthly it works better than birthdays.