Ask Lumi's Tulpas

Luminesce

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They're just bullet-shaped bullets.. She's got her hand in the classic "Finger Gun" shape, and it's said she has experience with firearms from her time in the moon's military.

200px-ReiseinIN.png

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

She must be a dangerous woman.

How do you think my little project could succeed in making this forum more active and helping newbies and older users alike? Would you like to help me with it?

Feel free to ask me anything.

Suffering is self-imposed. Don't let it control you.

She was stronger than any of the other moon rabbits, but she didn't like fighting. That's why she stole an artifact and used it to flee to the Earth, and then lived subservient to the previous leader of the Lunar Capital who also abandoned the moon to live on Earth for reasons. Of course, that's the Touhou character, my Reisen isn't attached to that lore. But she's my favorite Touhou character too, so she's still important to me.

Any "event" that encourages the more thoughtful members to actually contribute is a good thing. And I'll offer my help in every way except in preparing a guide or some such. I know it seems ridiculous since I give my opinions all the time, but I morally can't directly contribute to something like a guide with my own thoughts. Something about that, going from advice to actual authority, crosses a line that I'm not comfortable with. I'll give my thoughts on any topics we discuss though, and if you do end up putting something together I can critique it. If you guys are really, really determined, I can actually help you forge something rather perfect in my own eyes, but I usually never go that far. I settle for others' best attempts because I feel like making something perfect is too much work. But the more they're dedicated to making something great, the more effort I can put into helping them get their message across to everyone.

If that makes sense, probably not. Basically you'd have my skills of interpreting how many people will view such a thing, and pointing out every way in which it could fail to get its message across. (I'm better at doing this for others than myself, 'cus I'm lazy.) Otherwise, I'll match the effort anyone puts in to making serious discussion. Not a hundred percent sure I can create any threads myself, though, for the same reason. You've probably noticed I'll gladly write textwalls on someone else's topic, but almost never start anything myself. That's the best I can do.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Relatively long time lurker. Since I'm saying something anyway, I figure I'd like to mention that I appreciate your posts on these forums a lot- all of you are probably the most interesting and informative posters I've seen here, and wish there were more people who were as clear and informative as you've all been. (It helps that you're experienced, but all the experience in the world doesn't help anyone else if it's not being communicated properly.)

In any case, I'm fairly sure I remember you talking about doing meditation, and know that you switch. Both involve a sort of dissociation, which I'm having a lot of trouble with- how does one let go of themselves? How did you accomplish this? It seems like I'm supposed to be focusing on, specifically, nothing, but I can't figure out how to do this, for either of these purposes. (My tulpas aren't very developed yet, but we feel like switching would really speed up development (and be fun in general).)

Also, any tips for how you practice visualization? I already consider myself pretty good at it, but have issues with making it vivid at all- though you may not be as good at it, if you have a specific technique you use to practice I'd like to hear it.

Also also, any personal tips about lucid dreaming/dream recall in general? I saw you mention you had good progress with dream recall at least, and since I'm new to LD stuff I figure I'd ask.

The last two things are sort of general, and are probably answered better in some other place, but as you might guess by the first paragraph, I find good information hard to come by. Plus, stuff sticks better for me if it's told to me directly.

Thanks, that means a lot, really. I always get these intermittent compliments that make me question all the misunderstandings that go on in between them.

I don't meditate like I should on a normal basis, but I do do so before switching. The longer it's been since we've done so (or if my tulpas are just inactive..), the longer I have to sit in silence and try to detach from all the thoughts about what's going on. As for the dissociation, that is indeed weird and difficult for every individual. The best I can tell you is that I slowly gather myself in my mind while doing said meditation, and then attempt to move that sense of self what I can only define as outside my body. My tulpas naturally appear in my mind's eye around my head, if I had to give it an actual location, and that's where it feels like I move myself to. I do my best to ignore and let go of my attachment to the body and focus intently on inhabiting our mindspace. I don't know what to say on the tulpa's behalf, other than it's essentially the opposite process. This is, however, my own baseless subjective experience. It works for me because of how my mind works. I hate to say this, but everyone kind of has to learn on their own. Take suggestions and others' experiences, but don't hold yourself to anything specific if it doesn't work. You've gotta feel your way to what seems to work. Being switched, for me, feels like I'm sitting in that outer-mindspace as opposed to, like, the throne in the center of my brain. Like I'm still basically "me" but no longer in the normal position of being the center of everything. You have no idea how symbolic, subjective and personal this description is.

... Visualization's not my strong suit, you know? I barely know any general visualization tips that I'm sure work. I've heard looking at a detailed picture, then taking it away or closing your eyes and trying to recreate it in detail is a good exercise. All kinds of creative art probably accomplish the same task, especially drawing. But mainly it's just practice, consistent practice. No matter what I do, my visualization gets worse if I don't stick with it. And no matter what I do, it gets better if I do stick with it. That seems to matter more than what specifically you're doing.

And, haha, did I say I had good progress? Well, I'm usually able to go from zero dream recall to 3+ dreams remembered in about 2 days, sure. But my consistency is pitiful at best. Luckily my inability to stay motivated has led to literally years of research, reading others' experiences and so on. And I'll be completely honest. None of what I learned really made a difference. The absolute barebones: Intend to have a lucid dream every night as you go to sleep, always attempt to remember as much of your dreams as you can when you wake up no matter how little you actually remember, and it helps to have a reality check system in place for whenever you have the slightest feeling something is weird. (I recommend squeezing your nose and trying to breath through it lightly. You have no idea how amazing this technique is. If you do this in a dream, you will feel air going through your nose despite it being closed off)

There's a ton of extra stuff, different techniques, induction methods, etc. And you know, none of it matters at all if you don't do it consistently. You don't need to set timers for WILDs or develop mnemonics for MILDs if you'll just stay consistent with the basics. If you really remember, every single morning, to put a few minutes into trying to remember details about your dreams, and make some sort of intent as you go to sleep as best you can you intend to be aware that you're dreaming, I can almost guarantee you will start having lucid dreams within a couple of weeks. Sounds easy, sounds like it surely won't work so quickly, huh? Well I guess I'd never know, I've never made it past day 5 in four years. But I've seen enough failures (my own and others') to know what doesn't work, and that's putting only a little effort and letting it die over time. Just a little effort... but every day. That's all that matters, and you will find success.

Did I emphasize that well enough? Dream recall is literally just waking up and immediately trying to remember what you were dreaming about. Sit there for multiple minutes reaching at floaty feelings.. colors.. places.. themes.. scenarios, dreams. It'll come with time even when it feels hopeless, and even if it doesn't the effort makes progress. But I absolutely cannot emphasize enough that you need to be really serious about it. Don't even bother if you're going to get bored in a week or two. If you're only half determined, you'll end up like me, no closer years later than I was then.

You know, I think that's actually what I needed. Thank you for the really thoughtful response. I don't have motivation issues as much as I do just forgetting issues (or not even forgetting so much as losing track of time, and getting discouraged by the resulting inconsistency), but being told that I really do need to stick with it helps. I've managed to do it about half the days that have passed since I started trying, and actually got really good dream recall results, but I think the consistency is really what's killing it. I'm gonna try harder now, and hope you manage to get consistent with it eventually too.

About the meditation/switching, it's good to know that it's basically just personal symbolism. It's interesting to me just how different symbolism can be for different people- I try to "recede" farther back into my own mind, while trying to push one of my tulpas to the forefront (and then try to shut up my own thoughts while they do the thinking). I think the problem is just not being able to let go still, so I think I'll just stick with what I've been doing since that feels most natural to me.

Another question- how detailed/expansive is your mindscape? Do you ever forget parts of it, or parts of it seem different without any of you having done anything to it? People rarely seem to talk about them, but the subjective differences are really interesting to me (like how a lot of people seem to have an extensive set of nonsentient NPC thoughtforms, which I can't even really comprehend managing).

Our wonderland never changes, because I'm too uncreative to change it. I tried to create another area, but it's just off in the distance somewhere across the abyss of undetermined. Our house and surrounding area is unchanging. That's how it should be, though. As for the greater area of the wonderland changing - well, ours isn't a "generated as you go" style wonderland, it's a "painstakingly try to create every detail and then never forget it" kind. That being said my visualization is of course terrible, so calling it "detailed" might be an overstatement.

Lots of people say their wonderlands change randomly or their tulpas affect it however. Not mine, though.

In your wonderland, do you MAKE things, or just summon them? In addition, how does technology work in your wonderland?

"Try to get a better understanding of things before making your judgement." -Khan, Metro 2033

I'm a simple kind of guy. I just imagine stuff should be there and it is. Sometimes something feels out of place, and then I decide there should be two couches on either side of the room and then there is. I really don't care to make up any rules about how our wonderland works. It's almost exclusively a visualization & lucid dreaming tool.

Also, I never really thought about it but, there's no technology in our wonderland at all. I mean we've got modern stuff in our house, but I don't think we even have lights let alone a TV or computer. We've got a nice restaurant-style booth against a window in our living room where our primary activity is, for discussions in a more immersive manner. Other than that, we've got a bridge under a waterfall by our house with a bench in the middle, a normal forest with lots of ponds/streams past that, a bamboo forest directly in front of our house, and a field of tall grass on the other. The back is just a cliffside because I like to feel surrounded in some way, although we recently added some hot-springs type place at the top. We've got a glass spiral staircase leading to the roof. Does that make sense? No technology, but we aren't like cavemen.

Honestly, since neither my tulpas nor I do much in the wonderland aside from interact with each other, there's no reason for technology. We have a "kitchen"/storage closet where anything that we could want for whatever reason would come from. But we don't eat food because I'm not much for what I consider roleplaying.

We're pretty boring.