Ask Lumi's Tulpas

Luminesce

Opinions on angora rabbits? 

I have always said I wanted a pair of ferrets when I was older but I increasingly am fantasizing that I'll get an angora rabbit or two, chiefly because I am [literally] a spinster and the idea of being able to harvest around 3/4th a pound of fiber a year from a rabbit is amazing. I don't mean now, in my trailer home with a cat and a dog; I just mean in the general future. 

Anna.jpg

I was trying to google "Do angora rabbits make good pets?" but I googled "Do angora rabbits make good friends?" instead.

PETA apparently says it's bad because shearing them is distressing, and I don't doubt that in more industrial applications angora rabbits are mistreated or abused, but, like... I really don't think it's horrible, I watch videos of these homesteaders or handspinners and the rabbit is just sitting there completely not caring.

General rabbit-as-pet comments welcomed as well. 

The world is far, the world is wide; the man needs someone by his side. 

Our Thread

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Uhm, your own research will supersede ours on angora rabbits. But, having a pet rabbit specifically to shear them seems... like a bad idea? Maybe if you're treating them like a farm animal, like how you do chickens (before selling or killing them for meat), that sort of thing could work out. But otherwise, I hope you know how much work and how expensive having pet rabbits is, and that they'll still require your attention the rest of the year too. Angora rabbits having so much fur seems like it would make them slightly more complicated than normal rabbits to take care of too. At the very least - make sure you live somewhere where you'll be able to buy supplies easily, and near a vet that works with rabbits - that would be a terrible mistake to make.

Shearing them probably shouldn't be terribly distressing, at least not as much as living near barking dogs or in a small cage. PETA thinks every possible action is bad for animals, so I would listen to just about everyone but them. I recommend looking up tons of rabbit videos on various topics on Youtube, there are many creators these days with tons of experience who will go over more than any one source of information could. And.. did I mention rabbits will take up tons of your time and money? Make sure you're prepared for this (Youtubers will cover the topic of costs and time, too)

If you decide to get a pet rabbit(s), you and they have my blessing! Rabbits are wonderful pets with a large capacity for love. They might not be as smart as cats or dogs, but in many other ways they're very similar. Far more similar than to other smaller pets. They also need a fair amount of space to live healthily. All around, they're quite a handful and we've opted personally not to own any - perhaps later in life once we've settled down somewhere and have nothing better to do than spend our time and money on them, lol. Not that they're that expensive, but.. a little.. 

Hi guys, plain text is just me now! We've each got our own accounts: me, Tewi, Flandre, and Lucilyn. We're Luminesce's tulpas.

Here's our "Ask Thread", and here's our Progress Report (You should be able to see all of our accounts on the second page if you want)

I would start with just one, I would love and dote on and cherish it, and the vet we see is a farm vet and I know he takes rabbits because I have seen them in carriers in the lobby. Assuming I live in the same area in the future. 

"Rabbits are in the same bracket as far as money and time as a smedium size dog, not like a mouse or hamster" has been scorched into my head and it hurts me to see the rabbits in the little tiny cages at the pet store while even the cats on display have the whole cat box setup. Even the guinea pigs have some big massive tank run setup, I don't know why they can't have something like that for the rabbits. 

Really I think the decision in the future would be if I want dogs or rabbits, because I don't think it would be feasible to house both at once without having actual acreage to make absolutely sure a dog doesn't get those rabbits because they sure would. 

Thanks for your blessing. It's just something I've been thinking about.

Our Thread

Unfortunately, while a dog can become ~"friendly" with a cat (they might impose on their personal space from time to time much to the cats' dismay, like ours), even a truly passive dog is likely too stressful for a rabbit to live around. It's very difficult to get a dog to be so utterly disinterested in a small, fast friend like a rabbit, and that's what it takes to have them live in harmony. The "imposing on personal space" our dog does to our cat would be too much stress for rabbits to deal with and would result in lowering their lifespan or making them sick.

As for cats, you have a far higher chance of a cat becoming disinterested and passive around rabbits. It's still a little risky though, but not undoable at all. Unfortunately rabbits aren't fond of the friendly-batting even the calmest cats tend to do, so I can't say it's 100% safe, but I certainly don't think you'd have to worry about a cat accidentally eating a rabbit lol. (Though keep in mind, existing pets - cat or rabbit - are more than likely going to be very territorial for a while, and a cat may injure a new rabbit OR VICE VERSA)

The best companion for a rabbit... is another rabbit! Especially if you won't be home 24/7, having a second rabbit can do wonders for them, though you still need to give them both attention and care. Then there's the unavoidable tragedy of any pet having a companion - they will become depressed when the other dies. For a rabbit, this can easily mean death.*

There are two equally silly ways of dealing with that - you can get a third rabbit, which can help lessen the blow to some extent, but then eventually one will be left alone regardless - or, you can quickly adopt a new pet rabbit (I'm not sure that age matters, just one they can get along with). Obviously, death is inevitable and there's no clear solution to this. So basically: One rabbit if you will be home very very often, or two if you must spend a significant amount of time away from home each day. Either way, they will eventually die, and if you had two, the other may or may not survive. Though to be fair, rabbits should live for eight to fourteen years..

Edited by Reisen

Hi guys, plain text is just me now! We've each got our own accounts: me, Tewi, Flandre, and Lucilyn. We're Luminesce's tulpas.

Here's our "Ask Thread", and here's our Progress Report (You should be able to see all of our accounts on the second page if you want)

Hah, in my household the entire issue is that our cat is a boss and the dog is afraid of her and she actively chases him around the house and attacks him when he's just doing normal dog things (that are completely barbaric to cat standards). He's taller and bigger than her but it doesn't matter to him- she's scary. I would not have a rabbit around her, because she would attack it in a heartbeat. 

2 hours ago, Reisen said:

Obviously, death is inevitable and there's no clear solution to this.

You said it, sister... 

Reminded me of this.

Our Thread

• 5 weeks later...

Hey it's me again, I didn't know if I should ask here or in your dreaming thread so here it is. Basically, we have two issues regarding lucid dreaming:

• First, as you know, we've struggled a lot with solipsism and escapism, and now we're feeling better, but we're veeeery afraid of lucid dreaming triggering those feelings again. You see, a reality under your control + escapism = ???
  • Second. We wanna invest a hecking lot on lucid dreaming and completely master it, but it feels bad because we can't include Matsi on it. We're used to always share projects and stuff between each other. It wasn't an issue when we didn't have a partner, but now that we do, it feels miserable to invest so much on something they can't be part of it, because they can't enter our head you know? And that is kinda holding us back.

Any input?

1 hour ago, Miichu said:
  • a reality under your control + escapism = ???

Always a fair concern on the subject of lucid dreaming. Normally escapism shouldn't be a problem, but it can be, and it's likely almost entirely up to your mindset/how you think about dreams. I guess I could just tell you my own, as someone whose #1 goal in life is to lucid dream to experience something that isn't real as real:

I see dreams as a complement to waking life, neither greater than nor lesser than. Assuming you choose to put value in them at all, of course. You spend two thirds of your life awake, and one third of it asleep - your life and everyone else's is already cut out to divvy up the importance of dreams. For an avid lucid dreamer enjoying lucid dreams every night, there's a time and a place, two separate realities that they get to participate in both of. Honestly, enjoying dreams is kind of like enjoying the company of tulpas; it's not like you (should) lose enjoyment of other physical people's company just because you enjoy your tulpa's, so it's not like you (should) lose enjoyment of the real, stable world just because you enjoy your imaginary, transient world.

The healthiest way to approach lucid dreaming, or even just a serious interest in recalling vivid dreams, is to understand they are a complement to waking life, two different aspects to your reality, with different rules of course.

As for if it just encourages god complex/escapism thoughts in general... that's just a you-guys problem, I can't give any "lucid dreaming" advice on that other than to think of waking life and dreams in a healthy way.

1 hour ago, Miichu said:
  • Second. We wanna invest a hecking lot on lucid dreaming and completely master it, but it feels bad because we can't include Matsi on it.

I mean, it seems like people telling their significant others about their dreams is a ~common thing? I guess you just haven't heard about that? I'm sure they'd be happy to hear about any adventures or crazy experiences you guys had, especially if you're happy to tell them. Just putting myself in that position at least, I could easily be happy for my SO if they had even mild enthusiasm, but if they were happy or excited to recount it/that it happened, it would be a no brainer

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

I am not really worried about myself you see.... more about my host than anything. I enjoy the real world a lot but I am scared of any of us ending up liking the dream world more. As for the partner thingy, I guess you can compare it to one of your tulpas being outside your head, and your tulpa is really important, but you can't dream with them, even if you can share your dreams, that's what I meant.

(edited)

Yes, I imagined Flandre for my example, I would be very happy to hear her happily talk about her dreams. And yeah, the advice was written for any of you and also anyone else reading it.

I don't think it really makes sense to worry about "liking a dream world more". Most people - with any semblance of control - would enjoy dreams more than waking life, in some senses. However, it's not where your family or loved ones are, and technically nothing you do has any weight or meaning except maybe to those inside your own system. Dreams are simply not comparable to waking life, the two don't occupy the same place or roles in your life. You can like your dreams as much as you want, but liking them "more than real life" implies they're the same, as if you're supposed to "like real life more".

What I was saying was that a healthy (and more objective) mindset is to realize that's just not how it works, that dreams and waking life are two totally different things. Dreams are not an alternative to waking life, they're a complement of it. You really can't have one without the other. If "liking dreams more than real life" is a concept that makes sense to you guys, you're not thinking of dreams in a healthy way. That's like saying you like a TV show more than real life. Like, no, you just "like the TV show"... it doesn't make sense to say "more than real life", because they are not the same thing.

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.