Visualization advice please?

Nats

I'm really horrible at this. I've been working on my tulpa for almost 2 weeks now, and I feel like I'm making zero progress. I narrate to her all the time with no real responses (Kind of besides the point I guess.) Once a day I sit down and try my hardest to visualize my tulpa for awhile. Her eyes and face and basically every feature change drastically every time I re-imagine her. I can't get any sort of consistency for the life of me besides broad attributes like the colour of her hair or eyes. Also, I find myself unable to visualize all of her at once. I can focus on her face or a part of her body but everything else kind of fades.

This is a really frustrating situation for me because every day I try to set time to actively force in the hopes that I'll make real progress, but my visualization skills are so bad. I've looked around on the internet for something but I haven't really found anything that has helped me. I've heard recommendations that I should draw her but my drawing skills are bad too. Have any of you had a similar problem and overcame it in some way? And if you're just naturally good at visualizing, can you give me some advice? I'd appreciate it a lot.

Check out this image rendering guide, if you haven't already.

Just like that guide says, it's kind of a process. There's no quick fix. I'm of the opinion that visualization is a skill pretty much anyone can learn, it just takes time. Some people just have it naturally, other people have to get there.

We're all gonna make it brah.

Hmm, that was a good read, thanks a lot! Just focusing on very small fragments of the picture until they're perfect, and then focusing on a different part until that's perfect, and then doing that over and over until the picture is complete in your mind. It's something I never really thought about that could be applied to my tulpa instead :)

I'm gonna try this tonight by focusing on her eyes and see if I can finally get some consistency if I simply focus on them by themselves for several sessions. Thanks! ^^

And on the passive side of things..

I'm personally of the experience where I'm awful at visuals, practicing doesn't help, and the few methods I've used to attempt to improve haven't been much help. Still, nothing to do but keep looking at new things.

Anyway, something that does work for me, is occupying my sight and hearing as much as I can, and focusing on my tulpa's visuals the least I can. It's no good for active forcing, but I'll commonly be out in town listening to music, staring at stuff, or at home playing games, and I can "look over", and see Peachy sitting on the wonderland couch, or walking in circles, whatever she does, and it works well. I can't see every detail, but as long as I'm not stressing things, I can see her, and it makes interacting easier.

I guess sometimes, those of us who aren't seeing much are just psyching ourselves out. I acknowledged that a while ago, not that there's anything I can really do for it.

But heck, yeah, try to worry about it a little less, and go for a little passive. Might be easier for you, might not. Can't help you with active at all, as I can't visualize during it at all.

Try drawing. There seems to be a correlation between drawing ability and visualization ability. The better you get at drawing, the better you get at visualizing, and vice versa.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

Hmm, I never even really thought of visualizing her while passive forcing. For me it's pretty much just narration. That's something I'll definitely have to try it out. Still, with the way things are now I'll probably have to work on visualization while active forcing first. When I say her attributes change drastically, I mean it. Her eyes can be normally sized one time and the next time she's got eyes the size of the eyes the Powerpuff Girls have, despite me having an idea of what I want them to look like already. Idunno, it's a weird problem I have and I feel like even if I were to just vaguely imagine her while passive forcing I would notice those changes and get really annoyed by it :P

And the drawing is something I've heard as well too. I can draw if I'm copying an existing picture, but that's it. I can't draw things from my mind's eye very well, and any attempt to do so will end up as a pathetic mess of scribbles. Still, I guess it's something I haven't tried with my tulpa. Maybe I'll give it a shot after my active forcing tonight, thanks :)

Idunno, it's a weird problem I have and I feel like even if I were to just vaguely imagine her while passive forcing I would notice those changes and get really annoyed by it :P

I have issues with this sometimes as well, when doing active. Except in my case, I straight-up forget what Peachy looks like, and my mind will throw something else in. Don't have too much trouble when doing passive, personally, but subjectivity and all that, I guess.

Is your tulpa based off of a pre-existing character? If-so, drawing from sight might still be helpful.

Well it's good to know this isn't specific to me alone :)

My tulpa wasn't originally based on a pre-existing character, but a few days after I started trying to visualize, I actually found an image online of a character that was REALLY similar to how I wanted her to look besides her eye and hair colour. Maybe drawing that picture will help me out then :)

So I took the time to draw her and colour her in (totally butchered the colouring job). I ended up taking a couple hours to get some software and colour her in on my computer instead :)

Shortly after that, I tried visualizing her in my mind doing different poses and faces and stuff and it actually fixed my consistency problem! She's the same every time now, I can't believe that worked so well for me. I guess it just took me working on her form for a couple hours straight for me to get that consistency going. Thanks a ton for all of your advice everyone. I still have some minor problems like not being able to imagine how her hair would move if she turned her head, things like that. Still, it's not even close to as bad as before, it felt impossible before. I'll have to do an other drawing at some point of a full body picture so I can actually visualize her whole body instead of just her upper half. I want her to be semi-3d in my mind and that part is still kinda rough but I'm sure I'll get it!

Try drawing. There seems to be a correlation between drawing ability and visualization ability. The better you get at drawing, the better you get at visualizing, and vice versa.

No wonder I've always been good at visualization, I am also a fairly good artist. The only problem I have when visualizing are intrusive thoughts.