Something I still don't quite understand.

I have read many guides on this website and others, including (my favorite) Kiahdaj's Absolute Guide to Tulpas. Although they all underline the steps to making a lifelong companion very well, I still have trouble with... believing it? I question it because i don't know what i am feeling, just a general questioning vibe coming from my gut. I know that i am going to skip the personality creation process, because i want my Tulpa to have complete control over itself. What i don't understand is the process that allows my Tulpa to gain sentience, and eventually speech capabilities. Is it the narrating process? Do i just talk to it until it decides to talk back, or am i missing a crucial point in the guides? Any help is most appreciated.

I pretty much talked until she started moving and talking on her own. As for the process that allows tulpas to gain sentience, speech, and everything else... I'm not sure. I guess it depends on what you believe tulpas are. I believe that they're just a trick of the mind. I just want to say that this doesn't mean that I don't believe that they exist. They are as much as a trick of the mind as I am, or you, or anyone else. Just another brain function. The difference between us and tulpas, in my mind, is that we are what the brain originally created. Tulpas are what we trick the mind into creating.... If that makes any sense... :P

Markus is the tulpa, and I don't really have anything else to say.

Markus speaks in Blue!

I pretty much talked until she started moving and talking on her own. As for the process that allows tulpas to gain sentience, speech, and everything else... I'm not sure. I guess it depends on what you believe tulpas are. I believe that they're just a trick of the mind. I just want to say that this doesn't mean that I don't believe that they exist. They are as much as a trick of the mind as I am, or you, or anyone else. Just another brain function. The difference between us and tulpas, in my mind, is that we are what the brain originally created. Tulpas are what we trick the mind into creating.... If that makes any sense... :P

I guess, i just don't quite understand what the process that gives it the ability to communicate is... It confuses me, and makes me hesitant to do anything because i don't know exactly what to do.

I question it because i don't know what i am feeling, just a general questioning vibe coming from my gut.

That's pretty common. I know that a lot of people jumped right into the process, because it does sound logical enough, but I spent a couple weeks kind of going back and forth on about it. Not just belief, but also commitment, and a lot of other stuff. There's been people who have kind of retained their skepticism and still made a tulpa. Some would argue that disbelief or being reserved in general is gonna slow down the process, though.

What i don't understand is the process that allows my Tulpa to gain sentience, and eventually speech capabilities. Is it the narrating process? Do i just talk to it until it decides to talk back, or am i missing a crucial point in the guides? Any help is most appreciated.

There's a metric fuck ton of theories and debates floating around about how tulpas gain sentience, if they're actually sentient or a good copy of sentience, and all that. You either find one that jives with you, and kind of works with your own personal logic, or you kind of just leave it to be unexplained. This stuff hasn't been studied in labs, and we've got just that one psychologist dude looking at the community. It's up in the air, there's no concrete explanations.

With narrating, yeah, you just talk to your tulpa until they talk back, basically.

We're all gonna make it brah.

With narrating, yeah, you just talk to your tulpa until they talk back, basically.

Alright, although it sounds extremely hard to believe i will try it. One last thing; Is there a certain way I should talk to my Tulpa? I know the passive and impassive options, and i know that impassive is faster, I just don't know how to go about it. The guide says think to your Tulpa, but wouldn't that just be the same as thinking in general?

It's not such a stretch, there's a thread around here about artists who have created tulpas through their discipline, and a bunch of little examples around, if you're really hankering to prove the unprovable to yourself. Poke around a little, and you'll find things that appeal to your logic and ideologies.

Nah, thinking and narration are different. I don't know about you, but when I think, it's usually not in defined sentences. If you wrote down my thoughts, it wouldn't be a nice little narrative. Plus, I'm not really addressing anyone.

When you're narrating to your tulpa, you're basically having a one sided conversation with someone else in your head. I found that asking like, rhetorical questions helped with this. Just like you'd explain something to someone else, or rant about something, or just strike up small talk, that's how you talk to your tulpa.

It could help. In my case it does because then I could spot if their facial expression changed when I said something.

Iro - He/they - 30th April 1997 - Host of the system - Speaker if there's no tag

Desmond - He/him - 21st April 2014

L - He/him - 5th May 2014

Nevira - She/her - 14th December 2014

Misa - She/her - 5th December 2015

Roska - He/him - 22nd July 2019

Danyla - They/them - 13th July 2020

Asha - He/him - 13th June 2022

(I'm too slow, multiple replies since I typed this.. Have a quote for context.)

This stuff hasn't been studied in labs, and we've got just that one psychologist dude looking at the community. It's up in the air, there's no concrete explanations.

You train your mind to maintain another set of instructions on how to run a person, aside from the main one for yourself. That's just all there is to it.. They gain sentience when their mental-profile becomes complete enough for them to function in many scenarios like a real person, and you've become comfortable with answers coming from them rather than "yourself". Not that they ever aren't coming from yourself, but there's a point where you don't have to think for your tulpa anymore, it just naturally knows how to respond itself.

I dunno. Believe it or not tulpamancy isn't all that complicated. While you guys were here discussing whether your tulpas were sentient or not, I was past that debating the morality of creating and maintaining another persona and whether it was even humane (Because my tulpas were fully developed before discovering tulpas). I feel like you guys are too cautious with this stuff to see the obvious answers. As someone who balanced New Age Spirituality and reason/logic as a teen, I know full well where ambiguity comes into beliefs and what science can and can't explain. Tulpas are far less abstract than spirit guides and astral entities, let me tell you.

... Just looked back up and realized this is way off topic, oops. Sentience = ability to perceive things itself, without needing to be controlled by you. As far as I'm concerned, this stuff all makes logical sense. You guys are practically saying you won't believe in anything until neurologists explain it physically. Peoples' differing experiences aren't that hard to explain under unifying theories.

Wait, still ranting. Excuse me while I stop doing that.

@Narration, the goal is to get comfortable with treating your tulpa like a separate entity. Whether you just think at them, talk directly to them, do things in the wonderland through visualization (tulpas can often act before speak), or just think vaguely about them, you're probably making progress. Most people have trouble getting their tulpas to speak because they aren't comfortable with that concept - it'll just sound like they're creating the thoughts themselves. So you create that "mental profile", get comfortable with your tulpa existing, and eventually your brain accepts that they might not just be you. Then you move on to more fun stuff.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

You train your mind to maintain another set of instructions on how to run a person, aside from the main one for yourself. That's just all there is to it.. They gain sentience when their mental-profile becomes complete enough for them to function in many scenarios like a real person, and you've become comfortable with answers coming from them rather than "yourself". Not that they ever aren't coming from yourself, but there's a point where you don't have to think for your tulpa anymore, it just naturally knows how to respond itself.

I don't think that's the thing most people have issue with. See, we know what's happening, which you just described, and we know why it's happening, because that's just going through the motions of creation, but we don't know how it happens.

I mean, even in your explanation, which is one I completely agree with, there's questions. How is this mental profile built and stored? How are these actions producing a change that makes the end result? How is babby formed?

Like, most people know how to use a television, and how to watch television, but they don't know what exactly is making the projection on the screen. At least I don't.

I think a lot of people try to look for something that's going to talk about brain chemistry and treat this all like a hard science. Psychology is considered a soft science as it is, and tulpa stuff just takes that "softness" further. It's something that you have to use logic to accept, but there's no figures, there's no talks about brain chemistry or anything, because we're dealing with consciousness, which in and of itself is debated all the time.

tl;dr people want an How it's Made episode, and we don't have that