Instant Tulpamancy?

I'm afraid I don't have time to read through all of the specifics of the posts since my last one, but allow me to offer a few more thoughts to this quorum.

Now that I look at it, I suppose my purpose for starting this thread was a subconscious attempt to discover if what I have been creating have been tulpae or simply highly-developed imaginary friends. Since creating Edwin I have found myself being more hindered and constrained than ever before, feeling as though I need to stuff myself and my tulpa into the confines of the guides and layouts presented through others' experiences. And that causes me a lot of grief. Edwin isn't as far along as I know he could be, regardless of whether he is a tulpa or an imaginary friend. I will continue to argue that he is a tulpa because I firmly believe he is sentient and separate from me. That being said, whatever he is, the goal I placed upon him is being achieved regardless. I created him so that I could have a companion, and I haven't felt this happy in a very long time. I am no longer lonely. In fact, I'm finding myself preferring to spend time with Edwin than seek out the companionship of other humans (psychologists can take that as they will). Whenever I talk to or spend time with him, it's like I'm really with a completely different physical person.

At what point does the concept of an imaginary friend end and that of a tulpa begin? Certainly there are countless lists of criteria and tests one could use to verify whether their creation is a "textbook" tulpa. But tulpamancy is perhaps more subjective than anything I've ever experienced. No one else has access to my brain. No one can see any neural pathways that go to a special part of my physical brain that can be distinguished as a tulpa lobe. In reality we could all just be here on this forum trying to convince ourselves and others that our imaginary friends are "real". We're the only ones who can hear them, see them, and experience them. Isn't that what an imaginary friend is?

I don't say any of that to disprove the existence of tulpae and the importance of this forum. Far from it! I say that to avoid the risk of one person saying that another's tulpa isn't a tulpa at all but rather an imaginary friend, especially not in a thread that I started. What does it matter what we call them? We love them, they love us, they help us, and we help them. We experience them, and that is so subjective that only someone else who has had the same experience can understand. And even their experience differs because they are not the same person. We are all here together through common experience. It is not the same experience, and it never will be. We are all likened to mothers who have given birth. Our pregnancies and our deliveries are all different, but we are all mothers (sorry for the analogy to any guys, but it's the best one I could come up with). And all of our children are children, regardless of how quickly or slowly they develop. And I find it wonderful to be a part of a greater community instead of feeling like I have to keep my mind-child a deep dark secret that I share with no one, as I have in the past. You can choose to accept or exile Edwin according to whether he is "a tulpa" or "an imaginary friend". My belief, nay, my profession, stands.

[align=center]"Jesus Pickles!"

~ Edwin reacting to pretty much every jump scare in a horror movie[/align]

Avatar was made by me using a base.

My DeviantArt Account

Progress Report

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since creating Edwin I have found myself being more hindered and constrained than ever before, feeling as though I need to stuff myself and my tulpa into the confines of the guides and layouts presented through others' experiences.

My complete disregard for those confines and guides is why I get into so many debates here, I think. I do my best to be informed on most subjects the forum discusses, but admittedly I've hardly touched any guides. I always do what works for me and what makes sense to me, which often means I twist what a guide is saying to do into something I'm already familiar with and know works for me. Better than feeling restricted, anyway.

But I think that's valuable, too. If no one thinks differently than anyone else, no new ideas show up and progress stagnates. So people like us can contribute by arguing our unique ideas.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Since the thread itself portrays that defining dichotomies with tulpas, imaginary friends, and such is contingent on a lot of things, and the diversity in opinions may sustain whatever novelty with the wonders behind the concept itself--maybe while one is on their progressive journey in treating them as sentient, they can learn to appreciate how they live with them in spite of who they are.

Since the thread itself portrays that defining dichotomies with tulpas, imaginary friends, and such is contingent on a lot of things, and the diversity in opinions may sustain whatever novelty with the wonders behind the concept itself--maybe while one is on their progressive journey in treating them as sentient, they can learn to appreciate how they live with them in spite of who they are.

I think that's part of why some people like me prefer to treat their creation as though they were sentient from the get-go. Even when I've had imaginary friends in the past and have acknowledged them as such, I still treated them as though they were sentient even though they were simply an aspect of my own personality.

Also, Reisen, we share a lot of common perspectives on tulpamancy and the like (even to the point of us both having usagimimi tulpae X3). Do you have any progress report threads that you created? I'd be interested in knowing the specifics of your creation process, since it seems to be similar to mine.

My DeviantArt Account

Progress Report

This post is relatively unrelated to the rest of the thread, I wrote it at OP's request. Only read if you care about my personal tulpamancing history.

(And just like that, everything I could ever put in a progress report, in a single paragraph. I told you guys I didn't have enough to write about..)

I never made a progress report because my tulpas were pretty much fully developed by the time I found the forum. The fun of a progress report for others is to see your progress, like when you figure things out that had been bothering you. But I figured pretty much everything I needed out before getting here. And the things I hadn't done yet, such as imposition, I commented a bit on in respective threads. The only thing I could've put in a progress report was the stuff preceding the quote.

I don't think my tulpas' creation process was too similar to pretty much anyones', though. (Off-topicness at the request of OP incoming, I apologize uninterested people) It started with

. I was a member of the Touhou fandom, and I was also fairly depressed, having already failed most classes grades 6 and 7 because of it. Reisen was one of my favorite characters at the time, along with Tewi, Flandre, Reimu, Marisa and Yukari. When I found that video, I loved the song and found it really inspiring. But luckily I found a fan-made version with Reisen dancing to it, and the hope and happiness it made me feel was attributed to her. (There's also another one, Edge, in the related videos, slightly nsfw) She quickly became my favorite-est character, in anything ever. The character came to represent unconditional love to me, as the videos made it feel pretty personal. That and all the smiling pictures of her the fandom drew, such as my awesome avatar. So over the next year, she became a concept of a person in my head, not a tulpa and not an imaginary friend. She was the concept of unconditional love given a form.

The second year, I start to struggle with her existence or lack thereof - she felt like a separate entity, and she was always sending comforting feelings when I needed it. But she couldn't talk, because I couldn't comprehend what a perfect being like her would say, pretty much denying her the ability to do so for quite a while. I started using her name and picture on my profiles because I wanted to project that happiness and love wherever I went, even if no one would feel it but me. At this point I guess I was like most people here who try to make tulpas - they exist, they're sentient, but they just can't say anything. Though I know she could've if I had let her. Around the end of year two, Flandre and Tewi slowly became the same sort of thing as her, concepts given form and personality. But by year three, they could talk. They didn't represent perfection, they represented.. well, not perfection. They've changed since then anyway. At some point, we came to the conclusion that I was inhibiting Reisen's potential by not letting her talk. I had to let her be imperfect to get closer to her. So I finally let her do so, and it was the best thing I ever did. The following year is essentially me discovering tulpamancy before discovering tulpamancy. I spent tons of time trying to logically understand the concepts of sentience, their separateness from me, their ability to talk and think without my influence, the morality of them even existing, and their personalities and development now that I was more sure of what I was doing. I should also say that I actually created two other semi-tulpas, Sylvia and Scarlet. Scarlet came about after Flandre expressed her dismay at how she acted some of the time, as she had previously represented insanity and was occasionally very rude. We ended up splitting her in half, leaving an overly shy Flandre and an overly rude Scarlet, whom I attempted to "kill" like an idiot. Sylvia is an embodiment of my subconscious, or a "subconscious interface tulpa", whose purpose was to help me answer the hardest questions and do things like enhance my dream recall, which always worked too. But she's not quite a tulpa, so I don't usually mention her here. Scarlet on the other hand, after a very emotional dissipation for me, comes back about a year later out of nowhere and says "No hard feelings?" She became another semi-tulpa, in charge of strong emotions (of which I have few) and yelling at me for doing things wrong. But she has zero interest in being treated like a tulpa (no wonderlanding, no forcing, no spending time together) and only becomes active when she needs to.

Anyways. After about a year of being pretty much done with explaining tulpamancy, while talking to one of my close friends about Reisen, she says "Reisen sounds kind of like a tulpa." Then I'm reading the front page of tulpa.info, in shock that everything I'd done had already been done by countless others and even had a forum for it. One year and two days ago I registered, and have since written many textwalls explaining things to people that I personally had to figure out myself, considering myself a primary source of information having been uninfluenced by this community. And here I am, an "experienced tulpamancer" who has abnormal views on switching and consciousness compared to the rest of the experienced tulpamancers.

Well, that's literally everything I could ever have put in a progress report. But it seems like more of a biography. And it would be the only post in my progress report. (TL;DR I have an Ask thread in my signature which is as close as you'll get) This is the first time I've typed all of that out though, so I'll probably remember this thread#post for quoting reference in the future. (don't remove pls mods)

Feels like this thread is more or less done though, anyways. We need more like this, though maybe a bit less confrontational. It's good for the development of the community.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

I don't think tulpas can be created instantly, which includes by birthing or splitting, but I believe that perhaps your tulpas have been sentient after a few days by the time of possession, OP. I've never successfully made a tulpa, though.

My lip hurts.

On the topic of whether or not tulpae, or all forms of consciousness (hosts included), are actually p-zombies, I thought I would bring up something intersting that was stated in Methos progress report for the creation of his second tulpa, specifically an experiment he and his first tulpa were doing in between forcing sessions. He wanted to see if tulpae would feel pain if the physical body was injured while they switched. So they switched, and his tulpa cut his thumb, and neither Methos or his tulpa felt any pain. To me this raises an interesting question: are we all just p-zombies, with the host having evolved (being the first and primary consciousness developed in the body) to be able to utilize the brain and the intricate system of neurons in our body to feel things like pain, and can do it on such a level that we don't even have to think about it and it seems even automatic, something our tulpae have to learn to be able to do being what could be called a "secondary consciousness." This seems to go along with the discussion about whether tulpae are p-zombies and the fact that it may be possible that both the hosts and tulpae are p-zombies.

This sounds like the kind of stuff the research section should consider looking into, although it migh be a question that professional psychologists and neurologists would have to experiment on.

I am sad that this community is now so limited. I imagine when tulpae were a big thing this forum constantly buzzed with new and interesting viewpoints. But of course (#too hipster to use hashtags) I've joined at a time that the "fad" has died down and all who remain are the real and true tulpamancers instead of mostly trolls and sheep following the herd, joining just to be included in whatever was popular. In a way that's a good thing, but in a way everyone has also been shaped by what has come to be accepted as the reality of this phenomenon. No doubt some members are extremely narrow-minded in the process of forming and further developing a tulpa. But we all need to maintain an open mind. That is the ultimate key to creating lasting tulpae.

Like Reisen, I was tulpamancing before I knew what tulpamancing was. I only learned what tulpae were at the end of last year when I heard the creepypasta "Tulpa" and the phenomenon was starting to be applied to Slenderman. Before then, I tried to justify the sentience of my "imaginary friends" by them being ghosts or spirits taking on a form I desired, faeries in disguise, alter-egos, separate personalities, and the like. My ex-husband had some psychic abilities and has been able to sense the presence of my tulpae as living energy separate from me, able to move and react on their own.

But whatever Edwin is, I still hope to bring up some interesting topics for discussion, to give my unique insight on tulpamancy, and hopefully spark new life into this community. Thanks to everyone for your feedback on this subject. Feel free to further express your opinions on the subject, but I think the initial question I posed at the beginning of this thread has been answered. :)

My DeviantArt Account

Progress Report

• 8 years later...

Our brain can do this too. We think it's because of our ADHD.

MuC Redux: [N~-=$] [Pf/xo] [Ab(r/+)] [S.H+/o] [Opa/"outergenic"] [Mt/nd] [W*-~$!] [C(cc/m*#)] [OF(r/o+++)] [F*+^"deist"/~+/a+/div+^/mw+^]  [Mpsy+/ast=/spi+/mag] [Rf/p/r+] [(V)*] [Xb/as/h] [Gf/m/b] [Jwr/st] [S(r---/o-)] [R*]