Tulpa "Physical" Maladies?

bunny-boi-lover

This might be a weird topic of discussion, but here goes nothing.

Soon after creating Edwin, I was sort of thumbing through my mind the details about him as I'd formed him and as he'd started to develop his own personality and style. And one particular phrase keeps popping up in my mind and won't go away - allergic to peanuts.

It's sort of silly to think of a tulpa having an allergy, especially if the host doesn't have one. I mean, they're not physical beings per say. So they shouldn't be able to have any sort of interaction with physical things that could cause them to become injured, ill, or in this case, have an allergic reaction.

This is probably my severely over-active imagination at work, but I have to be honest, I'm actually afraid to have anything with peanuts in it now. Edwin's only tried a few different foods that I imposed for him, nothing that had peanuts in it. I wanted to see what everyone else's take on this is. I'm sure there will be those who will say tulpae are purely emotional creatures and cannot be "physically" hurt or if they can that it would only be if they were possessing the host's body and got injured. But maybe you guys have some experience with something like this? Or maybe I've really just gone off the deep end here. |D

[align=center]"Jesus Pickles!"

~ Edwin reacting to pretty much every jump scare in a horror movie[/align]

Avatar was made by me using a base.

My DeviantArt Account

Progress Report

You yourself can eat peanuts just fine, assuming you have before. If he thinks he's allergic to peanuts he shouldn't eat them. And due to complicated placebo stuff, he probably shouldn't eat them while switched, if that ever came up. Won't kill you or anything but I've heard of people with multiple personality disorder getting hives from this sort of thing with one personality and not another.

Anyway, you could say tulpas don't have to breathe or walk or talk or have eyes and ears or... You're creating a person, they can be as human as they want. Some tulpas even get jobs, work out, etc. Most commonly they sleep and eat. Mine do nothing of the sort, but it's just preference. Your tulpa can be allergic to peanuts if they want to be.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

I don't think he wants to be allergic anymore than a physical person wants to have allergies. It's almost like it's just fact. It is what it is. Something in his development has made him that way. I certainly would hate the idea of intentionally creating a tulpa with setbacks like that, and I know this oddity wasn't my doing. But it's good to hear that I'm not going way out in left field with this one.

Edwin does sleep. It started as only six hours a night, but I think he's starting to adapt to my schedule, even helping me improve my schedule by waking me up earlier. I haven't made him dependent upon food as of yet, but I'm sure that will soon be the case. Until then, I let him try things and have food for enjoyment sake. Still need to work on his table manners, though. He eats way too fast and has a tendency to take big mouthfuls.

So yeah, no peanuts. It'll be a little hard to avoid some stuff, like certain restaurants using peanut oil for frying. Otherwise, I'm not a massive fan of peanuts anyway (though I will miss Reese's and peanut butter balls ;^;). I think if I do slip, as long as Edwin's not in control he should be fine.

My DeviantArt Account

Progress Report

I think your tulpa would know if it was allergic to peanuts. Be careful though. I may be wrong.

I wonder how they test for peanut allergy. Maybe you can do one of those tests on your tulpa.

Join Mafia II: Ponyville in Danger, the forum game of intrigue and deduction!

To make your dreams a reality, you must first understand the difference.

Reminds me of another, similar thread that I found poking around here.

Here's an article that touches on the physical effects of allergies on systemmates.

I have no experience with this, and anything else I would have to add would be just conjecture.

We're all gonna make it brah.

Ah, it's good to see that I'm not the only one, though I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it a handicap. And the article link just gives me a "Page Not Found" error, though I would like to read it if you can find it again. Sounds interesting.

As far as tests, I guess I could do that. It would just involve an injection of the allergen to see if a rash develops but not enough to actually trigger a reaction. I'm not even sure if Edwin knows he has this allergy. How can I tell him he's allergic to something he's never even had? But I guess if I explain it to him the way I did here, that it's a persistent thought associated with him, he'd probably understand. Either way, I'm gonna be sure to create an EpiPen or two in wonderland, just in case. D:

My DeviantArt Account

Progress Report

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/06/28/science/probing-the-enigma-of-multiple-personality.html for some reason that link has a %20 at the end, though it says it doesn't. Works if you remove it.

I wouldn't recommend avoiding peanut products for something like this. I don't mean to sound harsh, but when negative non-real things in your mind start affecting you as if they were real, you get into the unhealthy zone. Make sure if you're going to stop eating peanut products, it's due to your own want and nothing your brain says you should have to do. And besides that, if your tulpa has the allergy it won't affect him for you to be exposed to it. It should only be while he's switched with you (in control of the body and mind), or when being imposed or visualized in a realistic scenario. His body is a creation of your mind and is not your own body, it no more shares allergies than it does rabbit ears.

I would take a peanut allergy for rabbit ears, though.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

I wouldn't recommend avoiding peanut products for something like this. I don't mean to sound harsh, but when negative non-real things in your mind start affecting you as if they were real, you get into the unhealthy zone.

This is true. I tend to be an extremist in my thinking and in the past have sometimes had trouble distinguishing fantasy from reality. Thanks for bringing me back down to earth a bit. :)

I would take a peanut allergy for rabbit ears, though.

Totally! XD Especially if they were as velvety as Edwin's~

My DeviantArt Account

Progress Report

This is my silly though on the matter( fyi. im a mid class when I comes to tulpas, plus idk if anyone else post something similar).

I feel like anything that is put into thought, created through thought or physical form must have something to affect it for it to be considered real. As a thought on a piece of paper, the paper on the words to help us remember what we thought. Though as it is paper, the simplist ember can set it ablaze, erasing the memory, as everything has its limits/ways of destroying it. Though it was real to start off, but now is just a simple memory (this is a theory, I think. Right...?). I feel this may be your tulpa trying to get a sense of realism, and/or trying to show you a little bit of realism, probally to help you force her/ him; (idk, I feel crazy posting this. I mean I belive it but idk if this could be related). Because Im sure you`ve had some salty peanuts before right, RIGHTTT... . (Ok now ive lost it)

I'm wondering if it's just something that I felt would go with his "stereotype", like seeing those nerds who have to carry an inhaler around all the time. Maybe in my subconscious I wanted to make him just a bit of a loser by giving him some sort of setback. He's a hot nerd, mind you, but he is still a nerd and as such would likely have "physical" limitations.

We were talking about food yesterday when I mentioned to him that he couldn't have something or another because it had peanuts in it. He asked me why, and I told him because he's allergic. Then he asked me how I knew, and all I could say was that I just did. I don't think he fully believes me, but he doesn't want to take the risk either.

What I wonder now is, say I have him eat something I don't know has peanuts in it. Would he then have a reaction, or would only the knowledge of the presence of peanuts be what triggers the effect? The mind works in mysterious ways...

My DeviantArt Account

Progress Report