Critique on the decline of a community

Having a separate board would only solve a bit of the problem. By allowing things to continue as they are - just not in the new, special, serious board - we would still be pandering to a demographic that we, honestly, don't want here. We would of course prefer not to have people making these ridiculous claims in the first place, among everything else. Furthermore, these people would - as they would populate every board except for the "serious" one - continue to represent the community. That is one of the largest problems with this in the first place, and having a separate board wouldn't solve it. All it would really do is make some of the more "advanced" users a little happier to be here. New users would still be influenced by the "bullshit".

Of course having the older users happier to be here is a good thing. I am just saying that I think there needs to be another solution.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd prefer a serious site to a serious corner of a silly site. Maybe that's just me. It would indeed rub a lot of people the wrong way to make changes like this, but there should be a reasonable consensus about what is right and wrong to post on what is the biggest site on this phenomenon. This site is the first place people see when learning about tulpas, I know that was true for my host. It should be a better, more informative place, rather than what it is now. Silliness should be contained, not seriousness.

Feel free to ask me anything.

Suffering is self-imposed. Don't let it control you.

Isn´t their a special page for new users including some guides and stuff? Well i looked for the information i got about tulpa on a german page which pretty much gave me all information i needet to start on my own. Well this is the most popular page including tulpa stuff so the aspect of guiding the new users a bit made me think about this again.

I think clear topics and new boards will help these people becuse they are able to look for a specific topic including the information they are looking for.

Improve the quality at all means there has to be people who are able to produce quality massages and information.

I think they are some people here who are realy good producing these kind of information and new users could be leadet to these threads.

Making a comunity "better" is just possible with strict rules or punishment for abuse. I actualy don´t like this idea at all but if it is realy what the most people here want we should start a rule changing step by step and look how it does effect the comunity . However more drastic solutions would be bad i think.

Lacie(my tulpa for my everydaylife and also my best friend)

Noah together with Lynn are my spirituell tulpa´s im using for meditation

Darcmanish Me

Lacie´s and my progress report.

I'd prefer a serious site to a serious corner of a silly site.

Fair enough. All I can think at this point is a somewhat personal request of the more senior members to start more thought-provoking threads and participate in them. We have a decent number of people "moderating" the newer members' threads, but quite a lack of new threads from advanced members. I'm really busy at this moment, but soon I should be able to contribute to that myself.

That sounds solid to me, actually. Encourage more threads from older members to help balance the fact that 90% of threads are started by newer members. We don't need a new board if we establish up-front in the threads that they'll be srs-bsns.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Even if we can't make a fair rule that promotes scientific thinking, leaving things as they are will solve nothing. Over the past year, many topics like this one have been started, and they all achieved nothing. The mods don't hold much power over the community, but they hold an enormous amount of power over the site and forum. IMO the young immature users and the 'scientific' ones are more like two separate communities. The mods can't change the immature community and force them to logically think about tulpas rather than posting bullshit, but they do have the power to kick this community off the forum. The other problem is new users. Many users make topics asking questions they should already know the answers to. I think this is because they see other users asking simple questions in q&a and infer that it is ok to ask these types of questions. I think a good solution for this is an automated bot that detects frequently asked questions, deletes the post, and messages the user with a link to a guide or other resource that answers the question.

EDIT: encouraging older users to make more posts is a good idea, but most of the immature users won't suddenly start understanding the tulpa phenomenon and start making informative posts. My post above is a little extreme and it implies banning immature users, but forcing new users to post in certain sections is a good alternative. If mods don't want to take such extreme action, making a new entirely separate new users board (By board I mean the sections highlighted in blue such as Tulpas and Community) and forcing accounts less than one month old to only post in it. Right now general discussion and q&a are like the new users board so actual discussion doesn't happen much.

Please yes, kick them out. I'd be happy to join in on advanced topic making and posting, but I feel like there are, at this point in time, better places to post things. Until rules start being changed, I don't know if it's worth it. Again, buckets on the forest fire.

Feel free to ask me anything.

Suffering is self-imposed. Don't let it control you.

I think a good solution for this is an automated bot that detects frequently asked questions, deletes the post, and messages the user with a link to a guide or other resource that answers the question.

I literally just thought something like this an hour ago, before deciding it would be too complicated to do impersonally. Regardless, one of the most major problems this forum has is the repeating of old questions. But everyone's too lazy to go collect them all and make a directory. As one of those people that is continuing to answer those repetitive questions to this day, I hereby declare "Not it!"

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

I literally just thought something like this an hour ago, before deciding it would be too complicated to do impersonally. Regardless, one of the most major problems this forum has is the repeating of old questions. But everyone's too lazy to go collect them all and make a directory. As one of those people that is continuing to answer those repetitive questions to this day, I hereby declare "Not it!"

For someone with a lot of programming knowledge, making a bot like that is probably somewhat simple. I'm not a programmer, but there are probably already keyword detection libraries, etc, available that would make writing a bot take less time. The amount of time spent to write the bot would probably be less than the amount of time it takes to manually delete the posts and send PM's.

EDIT: for example, the reddit bot 'automoderator' can do a lot of advanced stuff. A bot that deletes posts based on titles would be a good choice. Analyzing the entire post would be much harder to do probably. Even if we can only automatically delete half of the repeated questions based on titles, it will make it much easier to deal with the rest manually.

True, when you put it that way. I think having a bot that detected keywords, albeit dangerous if not done well (some keywords are necessary even in advanced subject matters), could work pretty well. You could send like the three most relevant posts in PM. Say someone makes a thread called "Help with visualization in wonderland", and then it links them to 3 posts on practicing visualization + wonderland visualization methods + some guide on visualization.

That sounds pretty amazing, and I want no part of it. Setting up the keyword detection so that it doesn't delete possibly relevant threads, and making it link other relevant threads, sounds like a horror. As someone who's just getting into JavaScript, I wish you programmers luck in your endeavors. If you need me

(don't)

, I'll be scripting choose your own adventures with if/else statements.

I am certain we will never have a bot do any moderation. They would not be able to tell accurately enough whether something was a repeat or not.

Plus there aren't so many repeat questions that they can't be handled by hand.

Regarding repeat questions, something will be done about that soon, as well. Pretty much exactly what Dog said, in fact, if it does go that way.

I've got my list.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."