Critique on the decline of a community

More good mods, less tolerance. A bot would be extremely hard to get right, and that reddit bot doesn't do much more than prune too short posts and ones with flagged words, does it?

Feel free to ask me anything.

Suffering is self-imposed. Don't let it control you.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There needs to be something to fill the void.

Adding more moderation and less tolerance will only result in a more tyrannical and empty board, because in all this hubub about roleplayers, a more insidious issue is being ignored.

Stagnation.

No one really asks harder questions in the community, I don't mean to the supposed roleplayers, but to older, more experienced users. At a certain point, the supposedly legitimate users produce no actual new ideas. They just kind of coast, then grumble about newbies. Or worse, their discussion degrades into little more than blathering about genitalia and jokes so crude that the idea that they want a serious discussion is laughable at best. Jumping on people who are faking is an easy cop-out, and it results in little good being done. At worse, the people who were initially complaining about roleplaying and circlejerking form in to their own personal little judgmental circlejerk. No ideas are challenged, no new ideas are formed, nothing is questioned, only stagnation. Only whining.

This, from my viewpoint, is the true problem. It will not be solved unless people actually pose interesting ideas, questions, and share their experiences, which I often see a dearth of in this community, both on IRC and on the Forum.

At the very least, I would like to see what constitutes "roleplaying", "circlejerking", and "fanfiction". I cannot really believe that a truly serious discussion can be achieved if people are relying on empty buzzwords to describe things they do not like.

As well, a definition of what counts as interesting discussion that leads to the improvement of the community as a whole should be defined. As it is, this thread is a repeat of the roleplayer witch hunts of old, and will yeild no fruit of any worth.

Sock Cottonwell's

Sketchbook, Journal, and Ask thread.

Peace

I agree with everything sock just said, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't paranoid about how this could go down. I keep worrying how strict this site is going to become.

"It's all about synthesis, you don't have to be a real musician. You just synthesize your own reality, synthesize your own talents." -Klayton

My Three Mind Horses

Haven: Tulpa #1

Created on 10-28-14

Aphelion: Tulpa #2

Created on 2-25-15 

Chimera: Self Proclaimed Thoughtform

Created on: Can't remember. Sometime around Easter of 2017.

Warning: I am a huge nerd.

Stagnation.

Yes, this is a problem, and, one that I have thought about. Not only will this not be a problem, it is a non-issue once you think about it. There will be an influx of new people coming on the IRC, most likely in June. Why? Because schools let out, more people will come onto the internet, and, by that, more people will discover tulpas.

Even with people not out of school, tulpas are still being discovered. Every week, I see at least one new person show up. So, do you know what that means? We need to fix the problems, because for every person that shows up, at least two will leave because of the content of the forum and/or chat.

So, while I do get while you think stagnation will be a problem, in the long run, it won't be, because we always have more people showing up each day.

Note, this is the signature of the most interesting tulpamancer you will ever meet.

If you want to make a tulpa, you should be here. If you want to be affirmed and jerked off by your neighbors while simultaneously jerking them off, go to Tumblr, you will be welcome with open arms and the beating in full motion.

No one really asks harder questions in the community, to older, more experienced users. At a certain point, the supposedly legitimate users produce no actual new ideas. They just kind of coast, then grumble about newbies.

I agree entirely. Especially considering the last two questions you asked me on my Ask Thread, those were very thought provoking and what I hoped to be asked when I created the thread.

And to be honest, I wasn't prepared for them. 2real2quick, I was getting used to the easy ones. I'll get to your last question in a while, I have some things to do first, but I really really appreciate it.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Yes, this is a problem, and, one that I have thought about. Not only will this not be a problem, it is a non-issue once you think about it. There will be an influx of new people coming on the IRC, most likely in June. Why? Because schools let out, more people will come onto the internet, and, by that, more people will discover tulpas.

Even with people not out of school, tulpas are still being discovered. Every week, I see at least one new person show up. So, do you know what that means? We need to fix the problems, because for every person that shows up, at least two will leave because of the content of the forum and/or chat.

So, while I do get while you think stagnation will be a problem, in the long run, it won't be, because we always have more people showing up each day.

You completely missed the point. Right now we don't want tons of new users. Sock said that old users are not adding any meaningful discussion anymore, which I agree with. The influx of new users is part of our problem because most of these new users are very young and immature. This community needs more mature users and needs the users that it already has to discuss more advanced topics rather than answering the same questions repeatedly.

You completely missed the point. Right now we don't want tons of new users. Sock said that old users are not adding any meaningful discussion anymore, which I agree with. The influx of new users is part of our problem because most of these new users are very young and immature. This community needs more mature users and needs the users that it already has to discuss more advanced topics rather than answering the same questions repeatedly.

Also doable. We already discussed how to do that in the IRC last night. We just need more topics, but, we also need to make this place presentable for the new users. Why? Because without that, even with the advancement of our topics, the site will stagnate.

And, regardless of what you believe, this forum and the IRC are here to help people who want to make tulpas, so therefore, we need to cater not just to the old users that we want to stay, but the new users, because they are part of the reason we exist too.

Note, this is the signature of the most interesting tulpamancer you will ever meet.

If you want to make a tulpa, you should be here. If you want to be affirmed and jerked off by your neighbors while simultaneously jerking them off, go to Tumblr, you will be welcome with open arms and the beating in full motion.

Also doable. We already discussed how to do that in the IRC last night. We just need more topics, but, we also need to make this place presentable for the new users. Why? Because without that, even with the advancement of our topics, the site will stagnate.

And, regardless of what you believe, this forum and the IRC are here to help people who want to make tulpas, so therefore, we need to cater not just to the old users that we want to stay, but the new users, because they are part of the reason we exist too.

The original purpose of this site was a research project to discover more about tulpas and the tulpa phenomenon by collecting experiences of other people with tulpas. Over time we deviated from that, but our slogan is still "For Science". I do not think we should be acting as a business that has to constantly get new users and make a profit, but as a scientific community focused on learning more about tulpas. Even if we don't directly try to help people with tulpas, more advanced guides and methods will help dedicated people make their tulpa easier. In the beginning of this site, there were only two methods which both were very flawed and many people gave up because of misconceptions. Now there are tons of different guides and methods, but the advanced discussion in out community has basically stopped.

The original purpose of this site was a research project to discover more about tulpas and the tulpa phenomenon by collecting experiences of other people with tulpas. Over time we deviated from that, but our slogan is still "For Science". I do not think we should be acting as a business that has to constantly get new users and make a profit, but as a scientific community focused on learning more about tulpas. Even if we don't directly try to help people with tulpas, more advanced guides and methods will help dedicated people make their tulpa easier. In the beginning of this site, there were only two methods which both were very flawed and many people gave up because of misconceptions. Now there are tons of different guides and methods, but the advanced discussion in out community has basically stopped.

Yeah, and I have never argued against making more advanced topics, in fact, I have always been for that.

There was an initiative to start an advanced channel on the IRC, I don't know what happened to that. I guess I'll be getting that going again if it died while I was away. It'll take initiative to start advanced discussion, so for now, go idle in #advanced.

Besides that, a part of the problem of stagnation and lack of interest from the advanced members is the ratio of new to advanced people, I suppose. There is also a feeling that things won't change for the better because of past experience with this site, and that things won't ever improve without drastic change.

As for Sock's request for examples, here's one example of the kind of person I'd rather not have on this site. Not an example from this site, but this is one I saw today.

Feel free to ask me anything.

Suffering is self-imposed. Don't let it control you.