Critique on the decline of a community

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't see that link as sequential to anything pertaining to thought-provoking, nor anything of philosophical intentions other than getting in the pants of a tulpa, metaphorically speaking. I'm not going to be a magistrate on what's okay or not, as again, whatever a person does in their private, subjective experience with their tulpas is their call. Chances are, people won't take the link seriously, and some may, but that's a matter of those that make knee-jerk reactions to whatever mode of ethic they want to apply to the submission.

But if it was a GAT thing, this would be different in some way, but it's in GD at the time of this post.

Chupi, your last point depends greatly on what a tulpa is. If the tulpa is indeed another consciousness then your post makes sense, but we as humanity have yet to agree on what consciousness is. Therefore, you should not define a tulpa as another consciousness without first defining what you think a consciousness is. This is a big problem with the community that may cause people to misunderstand the tulpa phenomenon.

I agree that it's hard to pin down what exactly a tulpa is, and I don't want to argue that. What I mean by the definition shifting is this: On one extreme there's people who went into this expecting a long journey, and forced and talked to their tulpas for tens of hours or more before getting any response at all. On the other extreme, some newbies, usually ones who are gone after a week or two, seem to come in thinking that it's just 1. think of a form, personality and name; 2. "proxy" what you think they would say. I think we can agree that the latter is not a tulpa, though given enough time doing that in the right manner it could become one. Early on pretty much everyone was somewhere around the "lots of forcing, lots of talking" end. Today I see almost nobody in the long end and most people clustered around the short end, but fortunately few at that far extreme. Still it makes me wonder if we've gradually lowered the bar on what must be formed before we start saying we have a tulpa.

In my defense, though I use the word imposition to mean an advanced version of that where I can almost see them, I do my best to not call it true imposition. That is a 1 on a scale of 10 where 10 is true imposition.

This is a sensible way to do it, and even when you can see them there are degrees of opacity, detail and realism, not to mention some degree of simulated solidity. What I was griping about is people putting "imposed: yes" or similar when it's only mind's eye, and people being surprised that actually seeing them is possible without drugs.

and Chupi, what you said about mindvoices and tulpas hardly being vocal highlights yet another horrible aspect of this forum. The fact that people are trying to define the tulpa phenomenon for others--another thing that is virtually impossible. My tulpa speaks via mindvoice, not because I want it to be so, or because the community's definitions of vocality have shifted, but because that is the way she speaks to me, and you have no right or evidence to say that she is "hardly vocal". It's one thing for everybody to constantly run in circles trying to solve unsolvable problems on this forum, but another for people to run in circles and not only attack each other, but define aspects of each other's tulpas that cannot be defined.

I would say your tulpa is vocal if she is communicating clearly in a mindvoice you can easily tell is hers. I don't mean to endorse going back to all old terms and ways. I mentioned that definition of "vocal" since I recall people discounting as possible parroting everything before out-loud speech was achieved, while today some aren't even bothering to develop mindvoice communication.

I would like to have more agreement on what terms mean, not to judge and devalue others, but so others know what we mean. If we're going to seriously discuss anything, we need to agree on definitions. We can't have the same description of "imposed, vocal tulpa" used by one person for a tulpa they spent months forcing and can properly see and hear; and by another for a character they made up yesterday and are thinking of what they'd say and pretending they're in a chair next to them.

Some people are off-topic on their PR's because they seriously have the inability to stay on topic. Some people are off-topic on their PR's to make their PR's more digestible for others, and to illustrate how personal life affects the development of tulpas. Oh and did I misread that the PR section has the words "Personal blog space" written on it? That's probably one thing that can be misleading in the long run doncha' think?

We are thinking of updating the rules on PRs and changing the "personal blog space" description. As of now it's still a "personal blog space" as per the old rules. The original intent of PRs was to give people a place to share their tulpa progress and get advice specific to them. They also serve as a glimpse at what to expect, for people looking at the community. A person might read about what a tulpa is and so forth and then wonder what some people's experiences have been.

The upcoming rule change is to bring PR back to what it was intended to be. We aren't out to punish anyone with the new rules, we just want to change it and make it less of an everyday life occurrence and meme soup blog.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

Guest amber5885

[quote=

The upcoming rule change is to bring PR back to what it was intended to be. We aren't out to punish anyone with the new rules, we just want to change it and make it less of an everyday life occurrence and meme soup blog.

What exactly are you going to change about the PR's? Because if we start telling people what they can and cannot post about in their personal space things are going to get messy and we'll end up loosing a lot of members.

We will be telling people what they can and can't post in their personal progress space. Due to the neglect that the staff has had on the Progress Reports section for some time now, it has evolved into something other than what was intended. As Chupi explained, "The original intent of PRs was to give people a place to share their tulpa progress and get advice specific to them". It was not intended to be a blog space, and admittedly, that was probably a poor choice of words. We simply overlooked the problem for a long time.

In essence, the Progress Reports board is still an on-topic board - albeit perhaps a bit more lenient - so completely unrelated conversations and stories do not belong in the PR board. I would like to stress the fact that we are not going to force every single thing you say to be directly about your tulpa - we only ask that it in fact be relevant to them, or your overall experience with the phenomenon.

I think a lot of the people complaining about these changes are overreacting, regarding what this means. This doesn't mean you are no longer allowed to have casual discussion with friends about non-tulpa things. We will just be asking that you don't post those things in Progress Reports, in the same way we ask that you don't do it in Questions and Answers, and General Discussion.

I would like to stress again that this type of conversation is exactly what the Lounge board is for. So long as it doesn't devolve into 4chan-tier shitposting and so forth, you are more than welcome to talk there about just about anything you want, with your friends.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

Guest amber5885

So we can talk about anything we want in the lounge but not the PR? It's already contained whats the point in changing the location?

I feel like the only thing that's going to do is take the clutter from one place to the other. For the most part I see the PR's getting neglected and the question and answers being spammed with stupidity in it's place. And as far as the problems on the board it doesn't seem like that's the biggest one.

Instead of tackling a non problem that's already contained to one area of the forum we could spend out time tackling the repeat questions, how to deal with new members, better search perimeters and member screening, Maybe once a week posting a topic of discussion for everyone to get on.

The PR thing seems like a HUGE waste of time and effort that could be better placed elsewhere since the PR's aren't the problem.

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like what's happened here is valid concerns have been brought up and instead of addressing those you've decided to do something completely unrelated. Like scraping your knee and putting a band aid on your forehead.

The point of "changing the location" of the off-topic is that Progress Reports have a purpose. The Lounge doesn't, except for talking. We would like the Progress Reports to better serve their original purpose.

This change just happens to be the one that we have mentioned so far. We are going to address every single one of the issues you just brought up. We have already talked a lot about each of them.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

Guest amber5885

People are just going to move their PR's to lounge. It's not going to change anything. They're just going to take their PR's to lounge, talk to there friends there and the PR section will stagnate and die and in the meantime a lot of wasted time and effort will be put toward reminding new members to discuss certain things elsewhere.

I find it hard to believe that users would go to such great lengths just so that they could not report their progress.

I can't understand why anyone would think that their off-topic conversations and tulpa progress need to be in the same thread.

If they truly believe that, then I think there is a problem with their mentality, above anything else.

I understand that, due to the nature of Progress Reports, it can be easy to stray into unrelated matters, but it most certainly should not be a chore to actually use the section as intended. Why is this not a problem in General Discussion? Some people have simply grown accustomed to using their Progress Reports as social circles.

There's no reason they can't have the same fun in Lounge.

Guest amber5885

I find it hard to believe that users would go to such great lengths just so that they could not report their progress.

I can't understand why anyone would think that their off-topic conversations and tulpa progress need to be in the same thread.

If they truly believe that, then I think there is a problem with their mentality, above anything else.

I understand that, due to the nature of Progress Reports, it can be easy to stray into unrelated matters, but it most certainly should not be a chore to actually use the section as intended. Why is this not a problem in General Discussion? Some people have simply grown accustomed to using their Progress Reports as social circles.

There's no reason they can't have the same fun in Lounge.

Read the popular progress reports that are going right now. They're personal live and their tulpa development are interconnected. The reason Cinne's is so popular is because of this. If you ask them to seperate this I gurantee Cinne is going to do the same thing with him and Yumi in Lounge and the PR wont be touched. It would be a hassle to post personal progress in one place and tulpa progress in another and I can't see a lot of people going through the trouble.

What I see happening is the PR's stagnating because why post there if they can just continue the blog format which is easier, funner to read and less of a hassle elsewhere. In the mean time the mods will be wasting time by basically pointing people to the lounge board which will become the new PR.

There is nothing wrong with peoples mentality and frankly I find it kind of offensive for you to suggest that there must be something mentally wrong with those who enjoy about posting progress as it relates to their life and the people who enjoy reading it as well.

You're just moving a perceived problem elsewhere on the boards.

I don't see whats so offensive about someone posting about their tulpa as well as their personal life in the same area.