Critique on the decline of a community

I'm not really seeing it as a rift between good and bad, or serious and ridiculous, or whatever. I'm seeing it more as one board being welcoming and the other being exclusive. Because that's the real divide here -- some people believe that we should welcome everyone (or nearly everyone) while others believe that welcoming certain people gives our community a bad face. I see this as a way to appease both groups.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In reply to jeans inquiry regarding members who "hold it down"

I just mean being a good member of the community. Not going around making massive claims as a new member, not acting insane, not shitposting. Someone who contributes to discussions and the comminity, someone who a new member can ask for help and guidance. I would say you meet that criteria for sure.

The only solutions are to either not accept stupidity and nonsense, and to not accept the people who only bring those things either, or to accept them and let them drive serious and devoted people away. The choice that is currently being made is the latter.

Feel free to ask me anything.

Suffering is self-imposed. Don't let it control you.

I'm personally letting the new-but-informed members do the grunt work of answering the repetitivest of repetitive questions (as most communities do) while answering ones I think I can specifically give a qualitative answer to, or are too advanced to let less experienced members answer. Or when I'm bored. Really the only problem for me is that other experienced members are leaving, I don't have a problem with the community itself. When problem members show up, I watch over them and try to mediate when necessary, but I'm not the intervention type. I won't straight up tell people to change their ways unless it becomes a serious problem. As for if you consider all of the less-than-informed members in the community a serious problem, that's a little harder to deal with. Partially because I myself don't agree that there's a serious problem, mostly because it involves so many different people who aren't necessarily "doing wrong".

Anyways, I do my part where I deem necessary. If I thought anything was getting out of hand, I'd deal with it, and I have in the past. It's the people who overreact that I don't know how to help.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

To be honest, you're just feeding attention whores who don't care for learning as much as having people respond to their longposts. You're not helping them, nor the image of this place towards serious people, you're just feeding their pathological needs.

Repetitive questions are a minor problem, but a problem still. People are asking more than they are reading and researching and thinking, and if they started to do those, there would be few problems left to speak of.

Major issues are the lack of appeal towards older members besides those who do as you do and play with idiots, and the acceptance culture towards said people. Some individuals who I cannot name because that'd be rude should have been removed from any reasonable community a long time ago. Besides that, a lack of interest from members and staff alike to really put in work to improve things contributes to a stagnant forum culture, where nothing of interest has happened developmentally in over a year.

Feel free to ask me anything.

Suffering is self-imposed. Don't let it control you.

If someone understands how to use the guides and resources (and search function) and is confident in what they're doing, they don't really need this community. If they don't need this community, then it needs to be something that they want to pursue, basically, people need a reason to stick around and make quality posts.

Quality posts, for the most part, aren't gonna come from sitting down and typing out answers to questions that have totally been answered before, and that seems to be a decent amount of the board activity.

There's talk above about the forum retaining the 'wrong' sort of people, and I think part of the reason for that is that the social element of what we do here has grown beyond the scientific one, because once you are working with opinions and experiences, you don't have to be held accountable for what you're saying, and are free to talk out of your ass.

People are just trying to get themselves over with the community instead of like, just chilling.

I do think that the metaphysics board has reached cesspool levels, if someone wants to hold those beliefs, great, but ultimately a board where no one can debate or prove anyone wrong doesn't seem useful to me. Having the metaphysics board on a website that's subtitled "For Science!" is like me joining a yoga forum and demanding a board about boxing, because I use yoga to help with my boxing. Magic and shit are tangentially related to tulpas, and there's so many other places to talk about it online.

We're all gonna make it brah.