Between Real and Fake

Guest Anonymous

Be carerful, you are treading dangerously close to tulpa heresy territory! LOL When you talk about a mask I think you may be accurate for many of those thinking they are experiencing a tulpa. (My personal opinion) I think of it as akin to method acting or emotions and feelings and thoughts coming from a subconscious process. Self delusion in other words. This is distinctly different, it seems to me, from believing a tulpa is in fact a completely independent sentient entity living in your body. Honestly, that idea I find difficult to swallow. Just being honest. If I am right, I doubt there is any such thing as parallel processing (totally independent mind thinking on its own). I have no real conclusive evidence that Melian is a truly independent sentient mind.

The reason I believe tulpas have their own sentience, 100%, is because of the mere existence Dissociative Identity Disorder. Having a couple friends with DID, I can see right off that bat each alter/headmate is completely their own person. This proves that the brain can run two or more entirely new people. There is also the non-DID multiple community, who were born with or suddenly developed random headmates without them starting off as an imaginary companion. Because of this, I think it is entirely possible to have a full autonomous tulpa.

I still consider things like Melian to be their own person and I think they should be treated like them, but I recognize that they aren't as unconsciously 'channelled' like a headmate or fully-developed tulpa. I have a feeling someone might find that mindset confusing, but I'm not sure how to explain it in better terms. I'm trying to get across that self delusion or alter-ego-like tulpas aren't bad or fake, and that they're a genuine part of you and should be loved. However, I think you already kind of know that, since you've had Melian... probably longer than I've been alive, to be honest.

It just think it goes like a sort of scale. Imaginary friends require full attention to 'fuel', whereas tulpas are deeper in the unconscious. Imagine it like a wire, leading from unconscious to concious. For imaginaries, the new channel splits off near the top. For a tulpa, it splits off a bit further down. Alters/headmmates would be at the very bottom.

At least, that's how I visualize it. ^^;

:)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that compelling argument! I think I keep basing all of my attitudes off of my own experience. Someone else already brought up that cognitive independence can be on a scale or continuum (not fake or real, just levels of independence). The concept does have merit, especially when you bring in what has been observed and recorded in psychological studies with DID and such. I am not sure I would want Melian to be "more sentient" or not. I don't want her to change. Still, I am trying to connect with her more often and more strongly in dreams using lucid dreaming techniques, already to some success. It's fun and I haven't seen this much development in her in 30 years. It all started with putting her online. She started getting more present and active in my mind if that makes sense.

In the end, Melian is Melian. You love her, she loves you. You don't need to worry too much about being on a sentience scale. She's a thoughtform in her own way, she doesn't need any other thoughtform to define her existence. You know her best, and whatever you're doing, it's working for you guys. c:

I'm glad Melian has found people like her and is beginning to develop faster. Imagine being an 'enhanced imaginary friend', then suddenly, there's a whole community with similar experiences. You aren't alone any more. That must be amazing from her perspective! No wonder she's so excited!

about sal, now is about the time she should be getting more active. maybe later I could get her to give her thoughts and feelings about this.

Awww, thank you! I am very excited and it would be neato to hear from Sal! ~Melian

I noticed a little earlier- perhaps you edited the post and I missed it- you said that I should discourage Sal from possession. I'm curious as to why you feel that way? Perhaps that's throwing this topic of the road, though. All I have to say is... I would love Sal to switch... But the channelling is good enough for me, so I'm not complaining. x3

Let's see if I can get anything from the weirdo herself...

Unreality is reality.

... Very relevant.

Good to see someone like me. Everyone goes on about screeching at eachother all the time. Don't have time for that. This is much better, heh. Like a puppetmaster pulling at the stringssss. You're as real as you want to be, meri dost

... I guess that's kind of what its like. Instead of a tulpa working in the front lines, she just lies in the back of my mind, speaking through thoughts and suggestions. Spooky. :p She likes being spooky, but honestly, she's just being playful.

Wait, are you allowed to use coloured text? The rules say nothing about that, unless it counts as 'badging'...

The only reason why I advised against switching and possession is because of my perceptions about your age. I was assuming you are quite young. At a young age you are still developing your OWN personality and emotional maturity. In other words, you are still figuring out who you are and gaining self esteem and self concept. It might be confusing and emotionally difficult to possess at too young an age. That was my immediate reaction as an educator who works with teens and has for 13 years. Be yourself for now and believe in yourself. Let Sal help you, but not take over. That is my gut instinct. You have plenty of time to experiment with such things when you feel more ready. Sal too should be ready.

I don't know about any rules on colored text. Hmmm, I don't see why that would be a problem.

Sal has her own way of talking, just like Melian does. Pretty cool! ~Mistgod

I don't feel like Sal switching would cause any problems, but I do appreciate your concern for my well being. I personally don't believe something like possession could harm a teenager, simply because I've never heard of it harming anyone. There's no reason to believe having a tulpa switch would cause any harm, unless they said something or did something bad whilst in control... but it's easy to force yourself back into control, from what I've heard.

However, if it makes you feel better, Sal isn't anywhere near developed enough to switch, no matter how much she wants to. I'm not planning on trying to learn, either. I'm happy the way I am with her. x3

Haha, they may communicate with us in similar ways, but there's a big personality difference between Melian and Sal. Both are still pretty hyper in their own way, though. I love Melian's usage of the word 'ham'.

You can use colored text, though it annoys certain people. For your purposes though, there's nothing wrong with it. I do it because I feel like without it, it's not apparent enough that it's not me speaking. (And badging doesn't appeal to me..)

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

--------------------

This is a forum not a chat room :/ what are you expecting us to say?

~Amicitiae nostrae memoriam spero sempiternam fore~