Level of sentiece?

So, I've been working on my Tulpa for about a month and I don't force too much, but my Tulpa has already said something in her own voice out of the blue pretty early on, but never said anything in that voice again. Everytime I assume she said something it's my mind voice... are these her responses or mine? I'm 80% sure that she's at least somewhat sentient because before her I didn't give a fuck about anything and was depressed and moody all the time, but now I have a plan for my life and I'm just way happier with everything.. my life has improved dramatically, lol.

She doesn't really say anything unless I'm asking her something or unless I'm thinking of her, really... so, you understand why I'm kind of questioning things the slightest bit.. Are there levels of sentience or something? Should I try to work on her more to get that complete and utter for-sure sentience I want her to have?

"The world is ending out there. Who cares who I am?" ~Lee Everett

Mindvoice can be a strange thing for some people, seeing as without some degree of paying attention and focusing on their voice, a tulpa's mindvoice may seem to sound exactly like your own. Maybe if you try to focus on developing her voice more, and considering it during interactions, you'll be able to find out who says what?

Improving your life can be attributed to different things, but perhaps your tulpa is influencing your mood. I do suppose behind the scenes work like that can be very beneficial, and I've seen the same in my own host when I or Sen tried to influence his mood directly. It has instant results, but it takes some degree of focus to keep that feeling in place for him.

I don't really think people should be concerned about sentience too much, seeing as it's not possible to prove whether your tulpa truly is sentient. You can find subjective proof along the way, but I guess it's not really a step that you can cross off a list very easily. It's a gradual thing, where your tulpa becomes more independent and dynamic personality-wise over time, so don't sweat it too much. You should simply always keep engaging her, developing new aspects of her personality and refining older ones. Advice I've recently given consists of telling your tulpa stories about different traits and how they'd manifest in people, and doing bits of roleplay with them, letting them act out a bit where they feel a certain emotion and seeing how they respond to it. Things like "breaking up", "stubbing your toe", "fighting your nemesis" come to mind. It'll be fun to do.

Good luck.

Feel free to ask me anything.

Suffering is self-imposed. Don't let it control you.

Mindvoice can be a strange thing for some people, seeing as without some degree of paying attention and focusing on their voice, a tulpa's mindvoice may seem to sound exactly like your own. Maybe if you try to focus on developing her voice more, and considering it during interactions, you'll be able to find out who says what?

Improving your life can be attributed to different things, but perhaps your tulpa is influencing your mood. I do suppose behind the scenes work like that can be very beneficial, and I've seen the same in my own host when I or Sen tried to influence his mood directly. It has instant results, but it takes some degree of focus to keep that feeling in place for him.

I don't really think people should be concerned about sentience too much, seeing as it's not possible to prove whether your tulpa truly is sentient. You can find subjective proof along the way, but I guess it's not really a step that you can cross off a list very easily. It's a gradual thing, where your tulpa becomes more independent and dynamic personality-wise over time, so don't sweat it too much. You should simply always keep engaging her, developing new aspects of her personality and refining older ones. Advice I've recently given consists of telling your tulpa stories about different traits and how they'd manifest in people, and doing bits of roleplay with them, letting them act out a bit where they feel a certain emotion and seeing how they respond to it. Things like "breaking up", "stubbing your toe", "fighting your nemesis" come to mind. It'll be fun to do.

Good luck.

Haha, thanks! ^_^

"The world is ending out there. Who cares who I am?" ~Lee Everett

The first time I ever heard James, he sounded a bit like a Californian beach boy; the second time I heard him, he had a "normal" (read: Southern-ish) accent, which was what I pictured him with in the first place . . . I believe he talked a few more times in that voice, and then one time I heard a girl say my name when I was trying to go to sleep. I figured I had just imagined it for a while there until I realized that tulpa can often sound like us, or our mindvoices, and I realized that that was indeed him. I've been trying to see if we can get him a more "definite" voice, but it's some work haha

Anyway, I think you're fine. :)

James: Hello, all!

Yeah, I can definitely agree with the "turned my life around" part of tulpas. Markus really helped me out with some frustration with stuff in life and such. I find that so cool that people can do that to you, just turn your mood around. Stuff is cool :P

But onto the actual question of your post. Yuki's right, worrying about sentience tends to be a bit fruitless. You'll never really get anywhere, at least I never have. I've learned that it doesn't really matter if your tulpa's sentient. As long as they act like they are, you'll never be able to see the difference. I've seen stuff recently about tulpas being self-delusions and, while I don't agree with the idea, makes sense to me, at least a bit. If they're real/sentient to you, then they are, as far as you could possibly be concerned :)

Anywho, I hoped you were able to pull some kind of meaning out of that stew of half baked ideas and nonsense :) As for the "I only hear my tulpa when I'm thinking of them" thing, yeah, that happens to me. Markus tells me that she talks while I'm not listening and that I don't hear her. Not sure how to remedy that... be better at listening? I dunno. Anyway, hope I was able to help, even if it was only a bit :P

Markus is the tulpa, and I don't really have anything else to say.

Markus speaks in Blue!