As things are, .info will die. Here's what we can do to reverse it.

Yuki

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be willing to be paid for my services... Wait I'd be more than willing to participate in any formal studies you guys come up with. As we saw with the visualization-for-a-month one, I'm terrible at long-term stuff, but I'll do what I can for a while if it looks like it'll provide good information.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Well, even though I think Yuki does have a point, I'm afraid all those problems are pretty common for internet forums. I've said it before in the science board thread and some will not be happy to hear it - but in the end that's what this place is. It is a forum and as such it suffers from certain issues and limitations. It's not a super- elite platform for scientific exchange, it's just another forum on the web. Trying to force it into something it can never really be will only bring pain and frustration.

If you really want to set up a place for serious discussion only it is advised to make it as uncomfortable and boring as possible. A mailing list for example. No avatars, pics, emoticons or formatting, plain text only. This would keep roleplayers, attention whores and most trolls out - but most ordinary members as well.

Personally, I think this place should be mostly for having fun with like-minded people. More community projects like collaborative drawing might slow down the inevitable brain-drain a lot better than half-baked research projects. Not that I'm against them, I do my part by providing statistics and will help whenever needed, but I really don't think a no-fun-allowed practice would be beneficial for the community. I haven't been around for much more than half a year but to me it seems this place was a lot more fun some years ago and there was more useful contribution than now. Stevie said it in the decline thread, generally all you need to start tulpaforcing is freely available online. So the only reason to hang out in a forum like this would be that it is a nice and fun place to be in which you can always still learn some new things. I believe this should be our goal. Not more but no less either.

And lastly, how about Yuki as a Mod?

That would be interesting to see. My tulpa would probably get b& in no time but I'm sure she would clean this place up.

I'd say it's worth a try!

Guest Anonymous

These are more or less the recurring arguments that have not been solved after what, 2 years? 3 years? Amusingly, in the same way too -- pointing out the problems and simple "fixes" that never seem to actually work.

How about this member as mod?

How about this person as admin?

One person will not fix a forum. It takes a community. Being a moderator is worse as you get caught up in petty things instead of actually putting your time where it, you know, matters. Post count will get as many sheeple following as a shiny badge under your name.

What would I like to see? People with skills, be it art, philosophy, intellect, what have you -- those people give back some. Linkzelda I know can churn out some incredibly interesting bits of knowledge, even if I don't understand half of it. One thread a week of him going out and finding something boggling for us to read is fresh content that those jaded oldfags might just enjoy. Hell, I know Sands and Roswell can draw well enough, why not a weekly doodle?

But these are just examples. This website has hit a wall with tulpas, it's recycled content. We all know that. You can't change that. There needs to be another hub of interest and to achieve that, people are going to have to put in some sweaty, stressed dedication.

One person will not fix a forum. It takes a community. Being a moderator is worse as you get caught up in petty things instead of actually putting your time where it, you know, matters.

I cannot possibly agree with this more. Between all the pettiness that we have to deal with, and the politics that comes along with the job, it significantly reduces the amount of time and will we have to work on other matters. Having good, model members in the regular userbase is great. Not every good member should be made a moderator. In a lot of cases, it may very well be better for some of the content-oriented users to focus exclusively on creating, and helping to push the community in the right direction. Being given the power to move threads, and kick people on the IRC is just a distraction.

Not being a mod doesn't mean that the staff won't listen to you. I can tell you from experience that having the userbase push for change can be more effective than someone in the staff trying to get the rest to do something. Trust me.

We are, and have been well aware of the shortage of our staff, and the inactivity from some of us. We have been trying to improve on this for some time now, and we hope that it will become far less of an issue in the near future.

I can understand your frustration, regarding the amount of time it took to do what we have so far with the topsite redesign. There are not very many of us, and some of us are very busy.

I am not at all satisfied with how that whole situation has gone so far. In part, I can say that it was somewhat bad timing. Regardless, I hope soon for the staff to reach a point at which they can better interact with the community, and achieve more productive results. Making the staff more plentiful, active, and responsible is my primary goal.

Speaking for myself, I can say that I have been very occupied, and distracted by some personal things in my life, lately. This has caused me to be far less active and ambitious than I would like. I am very much hoping that these things will calm down soon. After that, I hope to continue to push strongly for change, as I have in the past. There are quite a lot of things I intend to do.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

Linkzelda I know can churn out some incredibly interesting bits of knowledge, even if I don't understand half of it. One thread a week of him going out and finding something boggling for us to read is fresh content that those jaded oldfags might just enjoy.

Oh man, this please. If there's anyone I'd like to read "Hey, I found something interesting" links from it's him. I nominate Linkzelda as our savior.

As for the more-mods thing, I would've already applied for a position if I thought it would make a big difference. I've done it before and am well qualified. But exactly that reason, that I've done it before, is why I know it wouldn't work. Or as Kiah just made me realize, is actually worse. Having to be here as a "job" would kill my motivation to actually be here. I'm much better when I can choose when and where to do what I want, because I don't feel stuck doing it. I've talked about my motivation issues before, and they definitely apply to actual work. I'd quickly get bored and inactive if I had a "duty" to be here.

But instead I see it as a challenge and a goal that I want to put effort into - I like this community, like that it helps people, and I like participating. We need more people like that, not more staff. But aside from needing more people who help liven up the community, we need a reason for those people to want to be here. I'm here still because I like helping people, but obviously that wasn't enough for our older members to stay forever. While I don't believe we've "hit a dead-end" on the tulpa phenomenon, I do believe pure productive discussion is not going to be the way we liven the forum. There's just not enough to talk about, and even if there were it'd run out eventually. I really liked that idea of Linkzelda sharing something thought-stimulating every so often, but we don't just need one person doing it. We need a myriad of reasons to come back here, of things to talk about, of things to do. And I suppose that starts with starting.

So I guess I'm gonna involve my tulpas. Last time I had a tulpa-day that was supposed to be for practicing visualization, imposition, possession and otherwise, we were just attracted to the forum (and eventually the Minecraft server, RIP the rest of that day). I'll see what they come up with and try not to limit them, and hopefully some interesting threads get made. What're you going to do, reader?

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Post more. That's what imma gonna do. In a rather sappy way I find your attitude to life generally to be quite infectious and would much like to follow your example. Starting with answering some of those beginner questions. I don't have the experience you do, but I know enough by now to do the beginner question thing for sure. Also making some more friends on here besides the select few I've gotten to know over the last .. Wow.. Over a year now.

Time to give back I think.

Personally, I think this place should be mostly for having fun with like-minded people. More community projects like collaborative drawing might slow down the inevitable brain-drain a lot better than half-baked research projects. Not that I'm against them, I do my part by providing statistics and will help whenever needed, but I really don't think a no-fun-allowed practice would be beneficial for the community. I haven't been around for much more than half a year but to me it seems this place was a lot more fun some years ago and there was more useful contribution than now. Stevie said it in the decline thread, generally all you need to start tulpaforcing is freely available online. So the only reason to hang out in a forum like this would be that it is a nice and fun place to be in which you can always still learn some new things. I believe this should be our goal. Not more but no less either.

This. I agree with this.

I admit I've only just recently come back from a bit of a hiatus, and I've sort of been on-and-off this site for a while now, but the reason why I came here in the first place (and keep coming back) is because I like discussing these sorts of things with like-minded individuals. I like discussing things with other tulpamancers and hearing about other people's tulpa-related experiences. If we want this community to thrive, then maybe we should try nurturing the community aspect of it.

I mean, research is great and I'm not saying we should ignore that completely, but focusing the site on that probably won't keep members around the way you want to, OP. Not everyone's that committed, or interested in scientific research. Not everyone has the time. Not everyone can commit to gathering more information for the good of all when they're still struggling with their own tulpas. Personally? I know I probably wouldn't commit to any research projects, given how spotty my activity's been.

But if there's anything I can do, it's poke around in the discussion threads, talk to people, answer questions, and talk about my experiences while reading about the experiences of others. It's far more laid-back and casual than a research project, but it still allows people to share ideas and learn more about tulpas from each other. Not to mention, you're still building activity, and giving members a reason to come back, in a way that's a lot easier to keep members' attention with than a bunch of research projects.

If you want the site to thrive, I say that nurturing the site's community aspect and giving members something to talk about is the best way to go. After all, you can't start a bunch of research projects with a dead community. But an active and lively community is a lot more likely to want to start and carry out research projects.

Pinky is not a pony. She's an imp.

Sunray is an angel-imp. Ex is humanoid. Kael is a dragon. Magnum is a dog.

Stevie said it in the decline thread, generally all you need to start tulpaforcing is freely available online. So the only reason to hang out in a forum like this would be that it is a nice and fun place to be in which you can always still learn some new things. I believe this should be our goal. Not more but no less either.

Going on what was professed in that link, I think a probable solution to the metaphysics board where people presumably are free to express their thoughts with barely any criticism is to format said threads in that forum as playing devil's advocate. That way, people will realize assessing those threads would involve trying to find the nuances, benefits, flaws, and things of that nature with certain philosophical standpoints they want to relate with tulpas.

And in spite of that, there would be a clear reminder that even if certain theories and standpoints contain gaps in knowledge, as I'm sure anything would with this type of phenomenon that's subjective, it wouldn't stop people from coming to terms with themselves, and making their own way of mapping out their lives with their tulpa. In other words, working out all those nuances can help people further the topic at hand, popular or not, and maybe expand their horizon of knowledge towards it, and they cherry pick on their own accord simply because they're heuristics.

I don't think it's difficult for anyone to try something like that at all. But with a forum where people tend to be highly emotive because of a misinterpretation, or even just asking for clarification when there seems to be an equivocation in communication, it seems difficult to do at times. But, I don't think this should stop anyone.

I'll try to address the major points other members have made in this post. Other than that, I am disappointed in the lack of response from the staff. All I heard from any of them was one mention from ThunderClap, probably one of the worst offenders when it comes to not being around and not being involved with the community, saying that he felt bad whenever someone made a post like mine. If it makes you feel bad, fucking do something, improve the situation. This pathetic attitude from all of you has made this place the way it is, take some goddamn responsibility or resign in favor of people who do care. In the case of ThunderClap, you've probably shown where you stand plenty so far. You don't give a shit, besides when it comes to policing people you have personal issues with.

Kiah, please respond to my post at large. You can say it was bad timing, but the moderators were entirely unwilling to take a minimal amount of time out of their day, or rather week, to help out in a very basic way. People can't be expected to do absolutely nothing for the forum they are a staff member on, continually, for months at a time, and have things be perfectly fine in the eyes of the members. That isn't doing this place any justice, if you want it to thrive. The new staff additions are good, but the moderators need communication and they ALL need to put in more effort, if only a bit. The status quo is pathetic.

I don't think I disagree with any of this. In the past you've accused me of overacceptance and I didn't agree' date=' but I see your point now, because it's more expansive than just "don't be so friendly". I wouldn't call it acceptance as much as.. Allowance? Don't know the word, but basically, it's less that people are accepting of differing views and more that they don't even try to suggest more healthy ones. That's why I disagree with what I do as wrong - I don't hugbox, I make people feel understood and then suggest healthier/more positive/qualitative views instead. I'm not the forceful type, but I'm also not the do-whatever-you-want-lol type. The way I go about inciting change is different.[/quote']

The ruder people on the scale you're describing in your post have a problem in that trolls and drama whores aren't removed from this community unless they are overtly harassing people and making 4chan tier idiots out of themselves. This frustrates people speaking out against the aforementioned trolls and drama whores rather than accepting their presence, and it often leads to them being the ones who are removed from the community. It happened in the past, and recently. In my opinion, certain people shouldn't be welcomed at all, they are cancerous and better off elsewhere. I want to see people working on themselves here, not fucking around for attention. Your attitude contributes to the latter group being accepted.

For me' date=' this forum is a place of learning. I use it like a feed-back-library. Im quite new to all this so I don't want to spam this place up with useless opinion. If I need some help I look in the guides or use the search function. But abou this I can say something. Right now, everything looks like it was already discused in 2012 or 2013. Nothing new happens really, so everyone looses interrest. Maybe new staff helps but I think the main problem is, that nobody trys something new. I don't think the staff should be more strict about "Drama-queens" but maybe they should create a "Help-subforum" where various problems are listed up (like the big list of guides) where you can first look up a problem before you post something. One of the most active parts of this site is the Off-topic section but I don't know how to solve this problem. It's just because the more experienced people got nothing else to do in the forums than help newbies. We need something new! (But I think the progress reports are very usefull, because the writers don't loose the motivation to make a tulpa)[/quote']

Many older members who were active then have moved away, migrated or left the community because of this forum being badly managed and moderated. This is because of the forum trying to cater to everyone, and accepting people who shouldn't be accepted. People got warned and banned over hurting feelings, and subsequently left. This forum should have, and should, accept harsher viewpoints and people being critical. Screw any kind of hugbox mentality, and if people can't stand some criticism, they shouldn't be on the internet. It's a bad thing that it's taboo to say someone is wrong or doing something wrong. I guess I agree with what Vos said in her post.

Staff lethargy

Kiahdaj is doing a great job. But he should not be the only one.

Overacceptance

I think it's up to each individual person whether they choose to spare someone's feelings. I agree with you that it's not a good thing, but I'm certainly not going to enforce a rule that says everyone has to be harsh.

Dilution of information

Difference of opinion makes the world go round. Can you imagine if we all still believed wholeheartedly in FAQ Man's guide? I don't think we should ban someone because they have different beliefs or experiences.

Melian is a great example. We don't want people coming in to the community and thinking that Melian is typical for a tulpa. However, now that she and Mistgod have defined what she is, and how she's different from a tulpa, I think it's an asset having them here. Some people will be coming here who experience the same thing, or who want something more like Melian than a tulpa, and we can point them to Melian as an example.

I agree wholeheartedly with you on terminology. I think in some cases we need to define things more clearly as a community. In other cases we're maybe using the wrong word to begin with. (I'm not going to try to get people to stop using 'tulpa', even though it is wrong, but other more minor words should maybe be changed.)

Brain drain

I would love to see something like monthly community projects. I think that's a great idea.

Kiah is doing a decent job in that he's not doing nothing. The rest, not so much. Without him, this place would be hopelessly lost already, and I don't think I would have even tried to involve myself in the first place. He needs to work on communication between the staff, between staff and users, transparency and activity. I'm seeing too few changes being made, so far.

There shouldn't be a rule enforcing people to be harsh, that's stupid. People should be allowed to be harsh, though. Protecting people's feelings should be secondary to freedom of sharing opinions.

Different opinions are fine, great even. Spouting baseless opinions and your unresearched thoughts of the day about the philosophy of the mind should not be accepted, though. Melian is a great example of that, yes. They simply speak whatever nonsense they come up with that day, just so people pay attention. There seems to be little coherence besides that their opinion on things change every few days so they are able to make more long posts. They're an attention whore that shouldn't be here, not an asset. They shouldn't be an example to anyone, in my eyes, they're a joke, and it's a bigger joke that they haven't been removed yet.

There's nothing interesting to talk about

Sure there is. Nobody here is quite "done" with creating their tulpas. There's always more skills to learn, more to experiment with when it comes to the imagination, more to learn and read... People are ignorant of the possibilities and potential if they think otherwise. Before people will find it worth to discuss such things here, or rather, stay around and active long enough that they will focus on more advanced topics, this place will need a change in attitude to preserve those members.

People need to stop thinking the tulpa phenomenon ends with creating a vocal tulpa and living life with them.

These problems are common on forums

Yet they can be worked with. Just takes effort from those in charge, as well as the member base.

This place can't be no fun allowed

That's not at all what I'm suggesting. I'm suggesting for blatant bullshit and uninformed opinions to be removed, and to make this place unattractive for people who are just role playing or here for attention. Under the 'surface', there surely could still be a tight and pleasant community, but I feel like we should have a serious front for people to learn and research at, with rules of conduct as well as consensus to a degree. People should be able to speak their mind and have own opinions, but those should be able to be challenged. That goes for the general consensus of what a tulpa is here, as well as what people come up with individually. Baseless opinions are cancer though, and should be opposed.

Mod Yuki, mod people

Modding one person won't help. The staff needs to communicate better and do more if anything is to change for the better. With things as they are, more staff would only have more people sitting on their ass and sometimes kicking people. The staff needs to do more than that, they should drive this place to be something better. Modding me won't happen, I've hurt too many feelings.

Meta should go

Symbolism is very useful, yet it should never be said to be an absolute truth or an objective one, for that matter. If that distinction is made, there isn't even a need for a separate meta board.

Feel free to ask me anything.

Suffering is self-imposed. Don't let it control you.