As things are, .info will die. Here's what we can do to reverse it.

Yuki

We need ads put up.

Maybe start with 4chan. They do cheap ads and there are bound to be tonnes of weebs and such dying to have a tulpa.

So you're saying quantity over quality? That feels a bit odd to me, as it seemed to me that you were suggesting in Mistgod's thread that our community should have standards of quality.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

You bring up valid points but lets be honest, the plural community as a whole isnt very big. Most of what counts is roleplaying on tumblr and the rest are either living normal lives with no contact or already ingrained in their own community. We need to reach out to people who have never heard of a tulpa before but might be intrested. Sure, people might make tuppers just for sex or might not take it seriously but those people are quick to bore and will leave. The people who are really intrested will stay.

You dont sell iphones to people who already have iphones, do ya?

Interesting. Sure, we'd get low quality users, and some high quality ones who have a significant interest, I'm all for advertizing, don't get me wrong, but I think that the place where we advertise really matters as, let's put it this way, people on 4chan tend to not take things seriously.

Many people come here to post a progress report, or just lurk. I've seen people do nothing but lurk, which is not wrong but detrimental to the site's development as a community driven by users.

Guest Anonymous

So you're saying quantity over quality? That feels a bit odd to me, as it seemed to me that you were suggesting in Mistgod's thread that our community should have standards of quality.

Dont bring up Mistgod again. Thinking about them and their leaps in logic hurt my brain.

But in terms of, well, terms we should have standards. This site was after all created to get away from the tumblr headmate community stigma and make a more science oriented area for people to discuss tulpas.

However, I see no reason why a nice helping of new people couldn't bring valuable content to the site. All people have unique experiences and ideas no matter where they chose to dwell.

Sure, there might be shitposters, but thats why there are mods.

Interesting. Sure, we'd get low quality users, and some high quality ones who have a significant interest, I'm all for advertizing, don't get me wrong, but I think that the place where we advertise really matters as, let's put it this way, people on 4chan tend to not take things seriously.

Many people come here to post a progress report, or just lurk. I've seen people do nothing but lurk, which is not wrong but detrimental to the site's development as a community driven by users.

Dont forget this sites roots. Everyone in the beginning came from 4chan in 2012 after /mlp/ decided, shockingly, that daily tupper threads were not pony related.

That was in 2012. Theres a whole new generation of people on 4chan now who are like us back then, looking for a place to discuss their tuppers.

They dont need to make a place however, we can bring them here.

I've seen people do nothing but lurk, which is not wrong but detrimental to the site's development as a community driven by users.

Look at the member list. Sort it by post count. At 30 per page, the first members who have actually posted appear on page 218. That means there are more than 6,500 people who have registered for this site and never posted.

If nobody lurked and everybody who came here contributed, we'd be busy as all hell.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

Wouldn't it be wise to prune such zombie members from time to time?

There's no need to have an account for lurking so what if we delete all accounts that still have zero posts after some months?

It's kind of misleading to state that the community has almost 10K members when the majority has never made a single post.

The problem is of course that many posts are not counted, we'd need to make sure to discard only those who have really never posted.

Why? They're not doing any harm. If you'd like an active user count, then solve that separately. Also some people may purely lurk and never post, but still use subscribe to thread and stuff.

I don't visit as often as I used to. If you want me to see something, make sure to quote a post of mine or ping me @jean-luc

You have a much better grasp of english than many I've seen, don't worry about it! I wouldn't want another voice of oppinion not talking because of fear. Feel free to ask for clarification if a dictionary doesn't help you enough.

I don't visit as often as I used to. If you want me to see something, make sure to quote a post of mine or ping me @jean-luc

Dont bring up Mistgod again. Thinking about them and their leaps in logic hurt my brain.

But in terms of, well, terms we should have standards. This site was after all created to get away from the tumblr headmate community stigma and make a more science oriented area for people to discuss tulpas.

However, I see no reason why a nice helping of new people couldn't bring valuable content to the site. All people have unique experiences and ideas no matter where they chose to dwell.

Sure, there might be shitposters, but thats why there are mods.

I feel like this emphasis on not being like Tumblr stems less from intellectual desire, and more from internet rivalries, which doesn't say much good if you're talking about standards of behavior. Even as a person who came in to this things with the 4chan group, I don't really have much animosity, nor really much regard about Tumblr or its quirks. I find getting worked up and annoyed over terms to be kind of silly in its ways, especially since from outside eyes, we are packed with people whole are guilty of some of the Tumblr user's excesses (One obvious one being having figures based on fictional characters. Its not far fetched to me at all, and I'd even say its inevitable that some outside inspiration of sorts will seep in to the process, but I've also been knee-deep in this stuff for three years now, and have had time to ponder and better understand why such things happen).

Besides, they term head mate predates Tumblr. The stigma's still there though, which is sad since I find it to be a pretty nifty term in itself.

At the very least, getting all high and mighty about terms when we have cartoon avatars as a normal part of our eco system rings a bit hollow to me.

Sock Cottonwell's

Sketchbook, Journal, and Ask thread.

Peace

The above does bring something to mind, though, and its something that I kind of wonder in earnest in light of some of the criticism concerning the larger community around: What is the ideal user actually like?

I've heard a good deal about who is undesirable, but who IS desirable? Its something I'm a bit curious about. What would be the actual standards of behavior said user would adhere to, and what sort of content would they provide to the user base? I'm not writing this to be snarky and disrespectful, I'm legitimately curious if this sort of question would be answered, and how it would be answered.

Should a hypothetical standard of behavior be based on the user's sense of sobriety? Their ability to look at events even mindedly? A calm and clear head would surely be something of worth

Is it in the volume of their written contribution, and how much they have to say on the matter of the subject? After all, one can have the most logical and level headed person in the world here, but if he never posted no one would ever know.

Is it their ability to debate and argue? To challenge things and ideas aggressively with the idea of finding the truth in mind? Is it one who will jump on people that don't seem genuine, and is always ready to attack like a soldier in a war?

What of the explorer? The person who goes out and, taking the risk of being wrong, tries to find something out about their experience? Is this quality what is desired?

Of course there are also the more social qualities as well: Is kindness a good quality? Honesty? Passion? Resolve? Self-control? Gentleness?

Again, I'm asking this in earnesty, I'm curious to see what sort of answer there is, or if there is an answer. I already know that there IS a sort of standard about already, if there was not, threads like this would not be so popular, nor would it there be complaints about how bad the community is. But what exactly those standards are is what I wish to see from people here, even AND ESPECIALLY if its up to the individual.

Sock Cottonwell's

Sketchbook, Journal, and Ask thread.

Peace