Chat Thread

Yeah ram at that clock nowadays is pretty common, but do check the description to see if the ram has been overclocked for that speed or if it's native. I would suspect now days it's native out the box, but I recall building my phenom II last time and almost fell into that trap, and found my ram worked far better if I actually under clocked it. System stability jumped considerably. I think I dropped it to 1366mhz. Anyways- I agree with corsair being awesome for stuff. I've often used Kingston in stuff I don't intend to thrash the crap out of, and honest I've never had any hardware fail on me in like 14 years short of PSU or GPU- so I've been lucky - but corsair stuff often comes with ram heat sinks built in which is pretty nice. Again good if your planning on hitting it hard ( like with fallout 4 XD ) - and yes. Power supplies I would just read user comments on them. Quite often people will specify what their system is in relation, so that's handy from a comparison perspective.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP Sir Christopher Lee

Why does this happen every time I fall in love? ;-;

But seriously, what a guy. He pretty much did it all. Great actor, found his music more comedic than anything else despite that not exactly being the goal, but still awesome.. Ah, these are the times when we will lose them all. One by one, dead. Harrison Ford will probably go in the next five years with his knack for almost dying anyway, Sir Ian McKellen probably doesn't have long.. Man. I need to stop caring about movies like, now, so I can not worry about any alright actors this generation kicking it.

If any of you are into non-electronic shit, do me a favor and check out Angel Vivaldi's new music video, for

, from his newest album, Away With Words Pt.1.

I don't usually care enough to advertise random musicians' stuff, but I feel more loyalty for this guy than any musician on the planet, I think. I don't know why. Anyways, he only recently made it to the point where he was able to quit his job and pursue music, so all the love you can spare would be great. Buy his stuff! He needs to succeeeeeed!

I'd really appreciate it, you lot.

Wow, finally someone else who likes non-electronic shit. I will have to listen to that for you, then.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

I personally love electronic (Well, not the big stuff I guess, mostly small soundcloud and YouTube artists like Laszlo, or All Levels at Once), but man, I'm Metal at heart. Me and some buds run a small Metal Venue once every couple months to show off the local talent, and just hang out (Don't get paid in anything but food or drink). Born into rock, matured on pretty shitty mainstream BS, but I think I've found the niche for me in recent years. Got into Electronic a couple years ago because nobody else in my family (Absolutely incredible guitarists, for the most part) had ever really checked it out. I managed to plant the seeds of acceptance for it in my brother though, so it's pretty casual now.

But man. What kinda stuff do you listen to? I love the fuck out of Prog, and Djenty stuff. Periphery is a huge one for me, and a lot of modern Prog fans. Dream Theater is an obligatory listen, though I'm more a fan of things like Metropolis Pt.2 (Scenes from a Memory) than their new self-title.

And oh baby,

. Like.. Jeez. I fucking love Devin Townsend. I firmly believe that he's one of the most, if not the most, genius artists in a long time. Maybe you've heard his work with
?

Either way, I could go on and on.

Anyway, so, regarding the workout stuff from earlier this week or whenever. Yeah, aha, so I was doing measly sets of like, five pushups when I got started (Three sets), but after taking my first off-day, I was able to get up to ten without wanting to kill myself. A month or so back I'd only just made it to ten on a single set before needing to take a break for like five hours, so I'm kinda proud of myself. My eating could probably be better suited for the weight-loss aspect, but all things considered, improvement. Woo.

Still haven't fixed that goddamned bike. I'll do it at some point. I'll do it when tupper is vocal, aha.

Progressive Rock/Metal, and some Post-Rock/Metal is the vast majority of what I listen to, these days. Since listening to progressive music, I find it difficult to go back to non-progressive rock. Really difficult. I have seen the light.

I was just talking to someone about Devin Townsend, not long ago. I kind of wish he didn't make Z². I feel like it's gimmicky (the idea, not the music), and wish he'd just stuck with the one album about Ziltoid. I'm not a big fan of his music overall, though, honestly. Part of it's the vocals. Anyway, if you're looking for Devin-like groups, I hear quite a bit of him in Leprous, sometimes. Particularly on Coal, I think.

I could talk for hours about prog, but unfortunately, when I do happen to find others who like it, they usually have different tastes in the ever-expansive genre. I do typically lean towards the less heavy stuff. Periphery is yet another one of those groups I couldn't really get into, because of the vocals. I couldn't really tell you how I feel about the music, because I can't get past them.

I quite like TesseracT, though. Thank god they have an instrumental version of One. And I like the singer they had on Altered State.

Speaking of pushups, I actually feel kind of bad, only being able to do like 25-ish. I am glad there are some people not as fit as I am, still. I should eat more.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

If any of you are into non-electronic shit, do me a favor and check out Angel Vivaldi's new music video, for

, from his newest album, Away With Words Pt.1.

Hmm, not exactly my cup of tea, but definitely not bad. I probably wouldn't shut it off if it came on the radio.

Speaking of pushups, I actually feel kind of bad, only being able to do like 25-ish. I am glad there are some people not as fit as I am, still. I should eat more.

Can't make gains from nothing brah, hit those daily calorie goals. You wanna try and eat 2g of protein per every pound of body weight.

We're all gonna make it brah.

That's kinda funny. I preferred Sky Blue over the half that followed Ziltoid's story, so I can kinda relate. But it gets me thinking about Coheed and Cambria, I guess. Not as big on them as I used to be, since I saw them live, and despite their great playing, experienced their complete and total lack of giving a fuck towards the crowd. Anyway, Claudio coordinates his music with his comics, so I can see wanting to tell a story with your music, and even with how whimsical it is, Ziltoid is probably just something he enjoys doing because he wants to tell a story. But I can probably agree that Ziltoid was, ah, while I found it kinda funny in some spots, not really worth the cash.

And with the not getting into Periphery, man. Aha. I take it you're just like, a straightforward vocals kinda guy? Spencer Sotelo's voice to me is totally angelic, and honestly, the reason that I love Devin Townsend so much is also because of his unique voice. And, well.. Anneke is pretty great, in my opinion.

When was the last time you tried to get into Periphery? I wasn't into most of P1 because of how cold and structured it felt to me, and Sotelo hadn't started taking points from Rody Walker yet (Protest the Hero, if you weren't aware, which is another band I adoooreee), but with songs like Erised, The Gods Must be Crazy, and fuggin', Scarlet, from P2, oh baby. P2 stands to be one of my favorite albums of all time (After Scenes from a Memory, and maybe Discovery from Daft Punk). And then their recent two-parter, Juggernaut, is pretty great.

I'm not too big into screaming these days, so those parts are kinda the bits that get me down.

And ah, my brother listens to TesseracT. Of course, I always get them and Intervals messed up for some reason, so can't quite tell you what I think. One of those two has a vocalist that I can't fucking stand so help me, I wanna gouge my eyes out. It might have been Elliot Coleman, from TesseracT. Did he do vocals? I like his music a lot, but one of the vocalists pissed me off. He's also good friends with Misha Mansoor, Periphery's guitarist I believe, and their Om Nom stuff is pretty good..

Anyway, at the same time, some of my favorite electronic artists sound so fuckin' gay, so it's just a case-by-case thing I guess, aha.

Jeez, who else. I love Twelve-foot ninja for their funk, Polyphia is one of those newer groups whose.. I don't even know how to describe it, bouncy playing gets me, Volumes' newer album had a couple that I really enjoy. Most Opeth I guess, even their newest stuff, uh, Soilwork is one of those that I was really big into a couple years ago, and I still enjoy a few songs. Oh, Animals as Leaders. Fantastic group. I was wanting to see them here in, oh when are they playing, a month or so? Dunno, but I'll probably have to pass on account of being broke as hell. As is life.

I should stop now.

But yeah, good stuff. Music, man. Music.

EDIT: Thanks, Stevie. Guess I can't expect everyone to like it, but any and all attention is nice, and I'm sure someone or other is bound to enjoy it.

Oh, it's not the concept I think is gimmicky. I think Ziltoid was a great idea. Releasing a second album to me is like making a sequel, or a remake of a classic movie. You don't do it.

I'm big on concept albums. A lot of my favorite albums are concept albums.

Funny, I just removed Coheed and Cambria's music from my computer like three days ago. Really. I'd had their discography on there for a while, but hadn't gotten around to really listening to them. I did, and it didn't sound like anything particularly special to me. I didn't dislike it, but I didn't really expect to listen to it again. And I want to start clearing my library of things I never listen to.

Cool idea, though. A concept band. It's a shame they don't care about their live fans.

I think the last time I tried listening to Periphery was a few months ago. But to be fair, I probably didn't give it long.

I am mostly for clean vocals, yeah. I find a lot of the growls in music to be pretty distasteful. I only like them on the rare occasion that I feel they're used tastefully, and actually add to the music. I don't have many examples of that.

I don't know who did vocals on Altered State. Let me check. It looks like Ashe O'Hara did the vocals that I like on that one. And it looks like Daniel Tompkins did One, which I really didn't like the vocals of. So I probably haven't even heard Coleman's. I think he might have only done live shows.

Most of my favorite music is one-off albums of certain groups whose other music I don't necessarily love, so I would have trouble calling them a group that I love as a whole. Or just groups with only one or two albums. But some of the progressive groups I do really like some of the work of are Haken, Riverside, Joseph Magazine, Thank You Scientist, Arcane, IQ, Gazpacho, Flaming Row, Beardfish, Änglagård, and Anathema, if you count them.

That's really the trouble of only liking some albums from a group. I wouldn't want to say "I like this group", if they make some stuff that I really don't like. If someone listens to one that I don't like, they'd get the wrong impression.

Also, Animals As Leaders is pretty neat. They're one of those groups I'd have to be in the mood for, though. I do think that some of their music just isn't that interesting from a non-technical standpoint.