Chat Thread

I know someone who can't say "breakfast". Every time she tries, it comes out "breftiss". She speaks pretty normally in all other regards.

But that lisp -- do you still hear it when you sing? I've heard of people with stutters still being to sing flawlessly -- don't know if it's at all similar with lisps.

As for women, I kissed three times in my entire life up to the age of 20. And the third kiss ended with the girl (who had been talking to me online about us being together for two years) clawing at my face trying to get me away (after she'd been making out with another guy behind my back just a week or so before). So yeah, that gave me this debilitating fear of first kisses -- which didn't really affect me all that much, because girls never took an interest in me offline anyway.

At one point though, I did drive all the way up to New York -- a six hour drive -- to be with a woman I'd been talking to. We spent several hours hanging out, and at one point, because of my kissing phobia, I asked if I could kiss her. She said no, so I dropped the subject, we hung out some more, and then I drove six hours back home. And then she told me on the phone that she wished I'd kissed her.

Haha, anyway! I think the biggest thing with women is that they hate weakness -- in general, they're looking for men who are as confident and happy with their lives as they are. So you either need to A. get to that point where you're confident and happy, or B. find women who are as lonely and depressed as you are. I really recommend option A. Yeah, B works, but it results in such messed up relationships that it's not really worth it.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

I know someone who can't say "breakfast". Every time she tries, it comes out "breftiss". She speaks pretty normally in all other regards.

But that lisp -- do you still hear it when you sing? I've heard of people with stutters still being to sing flawlessly -- don't know if it's at all similar with lisps.

As for women, I kissed three times in my entire life up to the age of 20. And the third kiss ended with the girl (who had been talking to me online about us being together for two years) clawing at my face trying to get me away (after she'd been making out with another guy behind my back just a week or so before). So yeah, that gave me this debilitating fear of first kisses -- which didn't really affect me all that much, because girls never took an interest in me offline anyway.

At one point though, I did drive all the way up to New York -- a six hour drive -- to be with a woman I'd been talking to. We spent several hours hanging out, and at one point, because of my kissing phobia, I asked if I could kiss her. She said no, so I dropped the subject, we hung out some more, and then I drove six hours back home. And then she told me on the phone that she wished I'd kissed her.

Haha, anyway! I think the biggest thing with women is that they hate weakness -- in general, they're looking for men who are as confident and happy with their lives as they are. So you either need to A. get to that point where you're confident and happy, or B. find women who are as lonely and depressed as you are. I really recommend option A. Yeah, B works, but it results in such messed up relationships that it's not really worth it.

Awwww, omg! That is so cute how hard you tried for those kissies! Yep, the key is to stay positive and keep trying. Eventually, if you try, you find just the right person. Oh the love lives of us nerdy secretly super heroes! *giggle* ~Melian

That's rough, with the chick thing, Shui, aha. And uh, well I'm not really depressed or anything in my day-to-day life, but I'm not teeming with any kind of confidence, either. Happiness, sure, I'm fairly content, generally speaking. But yeah.

Women are confusing. Everything is confusing.

And regarding the singing thing, I'm actually not too sure. See, the lisp is much more apparent when I'm speaking on the phone, or into a mix. Me, I can't really hear it otherwise, while others can, and the only way I can test to see if singing gets rid of it, which yeah, I've heard of that kinda thing, would be to sing in front of other people, or sing into a microphone. Both ideas scare the hell out of me because I'm super timid about that kinda thing. So n'eghh. I doubt it, though. Pretty sure I'm forming the sounds in the same way when I'm singing my shitty music to myself.

Idunno, it's not a major gripe, I guess. As long as people don't comment on it, I'll live.

I'm really bad at finding info through Google, so I was wondering

Do any of you guys know anything about like.. Shared thoughts between siblings? From a psychological standpoint? I realize it's probably a fairly common thing, but it's always baffled me. Several hours ago, my brother and I were talking about old Beyblade stuff because we were into it as kids, and couldn't remember the name of one top in particular. We spent a few minutes trying to figure it out, but eventually gave up and moved onto another topic. Halfway through that conversation, and I can only give my word that I'm not lying, we both stop and immediately state the forgotten name in total unison.

At first I was thinking, "Well, since I'd finally figured out the name in my head before saying it, he must have picked up on the first couple letters and finished with me", but once I thought about it? Uh, 'Dragoon', 'Dranzer', 'Driger', which we could already remember, and the one we couldn't remember, 'Draciel', all start too similarly. And we're both also fairly certain we formed the words at the same time.

I don't know, it's just that quirky thing that sometimes happens multiple times in a day. I'm not into the meta shit at all, but it's kinda hard to ask without sounding like that's exactly where I'm going. It just gets scary sometimes, really. Any sibling experiences like this, or knowledge of that kinda thing? My wording on Google is only getting me stuff about siblings sharing rooms, or, aha, coping with family death.

Granted, I've been able to successfully charade 'Ritual Suicide' to a friend with nothing but vague hand-motions in no way related to 'Ritual Suicide' before. Maybe I just have a gift. Maybe my eyes tell all :l

My brother and I definitely have moments like that, where we say things at the exact same time, can finish each other's sentences, etc. I wouldn't say that many things have happened quite as conveniently as your experience, though. One of the most notable things I have thought of is the fact that we can talk about something, then veer off completely into other subjects, and even more than an hour later, I can say something related to the far earlier subject, without any contextual hints of what I am talking about, and he will almost always know what I am referring to. I definitely don't think that works with other people. In ways, I guess you could say we think very similarly, but in other ways, it is very, very different.

About your experience, my best guess besides sheer coincidence is that you showed an expression, or some kind of cue that you had remembered the name, which caused his brain (realizing why you must look like that) to start thinking for it again, and this time was able to come up with it on the spot.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

Either that or a cue in what you were both doing that you didn't consciously pick up on triggered both of your memories of the name at the same time. Like a specific sound in the background or a phrase etc. As it's from a show you will both have heard the same sounds and phrases being used in conjunction so it's not impossible you would be instantly reminded of it.

Not exactly related but you might wanna look into cases where twins were separated at birth, but still developed habits like wearing a rubber band around their wrists or flushing a toilet twice despite growing up in totally different circumstances and never having contact with one another. Usually, they also have oddly similar lives.

We're all gonna make it brah.

I'm on mobile data, so I'll have to pass on the video, Shui, but still, weird. The room was silent, so I can't imagine a sound in the back triggering anything, but a phrase, or the bit about one of us showing something through body language, could be viable, I don't know.

And Stevie, I've heard stories about twins, but my brother and I are total opposites on almost every regard, so I never really figured it'd be anything similar. Maybe just a luck of the draw kinda thing? Aside from some limited ideology, this is the only thing we've ever shared.

Makes me think of this one time, this one really weird time, where like.. Okay, I was messing with one of those neck-roll things, and for whatever reason while fiddling with it, put it on my head, and instantly thought of Morrowind. I was like "Whoa", and told my brother to do the same and tell me what he thought of. His face just contorted and with a surprised expression, he said 'Morrowind'. It was funny at the time, but I'm interested, now.

Shit's weird.

So exercise stuff

I'm not really improving with the pushups anymore, for whatever reason. They're still fairly hard, and I can't see myself upping the difficulty for better results. We've got some weights out in storage, so I guess I should look into using those, now.

Think I mentioned being about twenty pounds lighter than where I was when I started, but if not, yeah. Guess the ol' teenage metabolism kicked back in.

Bike is still broken, because despite the problem apparently being super apparent to literally everyone but me, I can't see it. My dad told me to fix it myself, and thinks I'm a fucking moron for not seeing the issue, so I guess I'll just be getting a new bike at some point.

Still, keeping at it, and I guess I feel better about myself than I usually do. So that's nice.

As much as I advocate weight lifting I'd say that having a solid foundation in body weight exercises like push ups is important to have before you start lifting weights. If you're having trouble, just do the same amount of reps over a longer period of time, or maybe target your triceps with the occasional diamond push up. Really man, there's nothing that cool about body weight exercises, but if you crap out on them and move on to the weights, you're gonna crap out on the weights too, or you're gonna have to backtrack anyway. Get gud at those push ups dude, that's my advice there.

We're all gonna make it brah.