Chat Thread

Man, so my brother has taken a fancy to electro-funk and disco-sounding stuff, which is kinda funny given his usual indifference towards anything digital. So I've been introducing him to the concept of a DAW for a while today, and we've been going through stuff. Pretty fun. I've never really enjoyed fiddling with stuff on my own, but making music with other people is always pretty great, would definitely recommend. He was getting pissed at the zooming earlier, but he's finally figuring out how to navigate, and lay down drums :')

Not many good default samples, but he just wants the midi for his designated Metal guy. The electro-stuff will take a while to really get going. He's not too familiar with jazz chords (Gonna need em for that funky guitar and bass. And probably piano and everything else), so he's going to be teaching himself about them for the next while. Whatever the case. Fun-ness is in the future.

Anyone else have anything cool going on?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm finally home from the beach. We had car trouble so what should have been an eight hour trip ended up being two days. I said I'd probably catch up with the forums in a day or two, but I can't sleep, so now's the time.

Find an even more outlandish topic to introduce to her on the way back, this time. Post results.

I value my life, so I ended up not doing that. But I did show her my dream house the day before we came back. She was not amused. She told me that the only way she would ever live in such a house was temporarily while a "real" house was being built.

The way I see it, if I bought this, I could retire before I'm 35, live wherever I wanted, and not have to worry about bills or responsibility. But she'd rather spend ten times as much paying off a 30 year mortgage, which would have us working until we're in our 60s. That's not my idea of fun.

I recently discovered Chilly Gonzales, who I hesitate to really recommend, but he's introducing me to new things I like musically, even if it's not his own music. Like I never knew about arpeggios (and it's awesome hearing Hotel California performed by a string quartet!) and his discussion of the string quartet in pop music is also interesting.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

I don't think I could survive in such a small home, but the savings would be undeniably great in the long run. Your girlfriend sounds kinda mean. It might just be the way you said "She was not amused" though, she might be really nice.

Chilly Gonzalez is a great name. My favorite rendition of Hotel California is the one by Gipsy Kings, though. Great stuff.

Man. I've got mice, and it's awful. I mean, I've had them for a while, but you can only catch a mouse, release it, and catch it again a week later so many times before it gets old. I caught this one in particular, missing an eye, six times before we finally drove it off. Literally. Got in the car, and drove until there was no way it could get back. We've tried killing-traps, by aside from making me feel terrible, these mice are so advanced they're completely immune to dying apparently. Fucking hitler-mice.. So I typically just use traps I've made with whatever's lying around to catch them, and let them go outside. They're starting to test my patience, though..

G'egh.

Also, funk-stuff is coming along fairly well. Raw as fuuuck, but my brother and I legitimately figure we can get something going with it. Especially locally, because the only bands the kiddies wanna be a part of these days are shitty slam/hardcore groups with terrible, guttural screams, and riffs that would read like binary if you transcribed them. Might be able to find a niche audience at least? That would be fun. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses. It's also great, because despite messing with audio for the past three or so years, I've never really done enough to establish a workflow, and I'd never done anything hardware-centric until yesterday (Was having trouble trying to get the guitar to actually go through, now I'm finally to the point where I can get everything going smoothly). Bearings are being gathered, slowly but surely. At the very least, it's been fun just to loop four or five bars, and noodle around with ideas.

Fun stuff.

I don't think I could survive in such a small home, but the savings would be undeniably great in the long run. Your girlfriend sounds kinda mean. It might just be the way you said "She was not amused" though, she might be really nice.

Chilly Gonzalez is a great name. My favorite rendition of Hotel California is the one by Gipsy Kings, though. Great stuff.

Man. I've got mice, and it's awful. I mean, I've had them for a while, but you can only catch a mouse, release it, and catch it again a week later so many times before it gets old. I caught this one in particular, missing an eye, six times before we finally drove it off. Literally. Got in the car, and drove until there was no way it could get back. We've tried killing-traps, by aside from making me feel terrible, these mice are so advanced they're completely immune to dying apparently. Fucking hitler-mice.. So I typically just use traps I've made with whatever's lying around to catch them, and let them go outside. They're starting to test my patience, though..

G'egh.

Also, funk-stuff is coming along fairly well. Raw as fuuuck, but my brother and I legitimately figure we can get something going with it. Especially locally, because the only bands the kiddies wanna be a part of these days are shitty slam/hardcore groups with terrible, guttural screams, and riffs that would read like binary if you transcribed them. Might be able to find a niche audience at least? That would be fun. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses. It's also great, because despite messing with audio for the past three or so years, I've never really done enough to establish a workflow, and I'd never done anything hardware-centric until yesterday (Was having trouble trying to get the guitar to actually go through, now I'm finally to the point where I can get everything going smoothly). Bearings are being gathered, slowly but surely. At the very least, it's been fun just to loop four or five bars, and noodle around with ideas.

Fun stuff.

i've been working on recording guitar music and infinite bedroom projects mostly involved with various approaches towards ambient-influenced post-metal i seem to remain obsessed with, but it's a type of composition i still cannot seem to master due to a complexity involved with having infinite guitar layers and overall textural composition and how every guitar riff could have practically various infinite variations and you'll supposed to choose where they evolve

even doing mathcore (dillinger escape plan style) or some other manic apeshit that evolves practically everywhere tonally is kind of easier as if it's prog you can approach with a completely punk attitude and not be fancily obsessed with motifs or something

but the thing; hardware recording DOES suck ass, there's something drastic i'd need to change about my workflow and method of composition, or simply perhaps the attitude. there's system crashes, an infinite amount of projects consisting of 1 or 2 ideas that never go finished and irregularity whether to keep doing the composing part in midi or record demo tracks summing up to a hundred which i'll be then even more unlikely to rerecord ever again

at least my new guitar tuning is fun

it's an ISIS-influenced 6-string tuning FFA#D#GC, low F bass register

fat monolithic chords and creatively unconventional and totally not mainstream

and loop stations are the most important things i've ever used

and all this trouble is a sign i should really focus on starting an 8-track "moderate black metal"-act with lyricism about working on sundays and craving after your neighbour's property

tell the rapper what i'm gonna do with all this money

Hah, I get all of those reference, Bersinger. I was actually watching/reading some stuff related to The Dillinger Escape Plan, yesterday or the day before. I forget. Maybe both.

Post rock and metal is something I've very intrigued by, myself. I'm sure they would have a strong influence in any of my compositions. The textural composition, as you put it, is something very alluring to me. I'd be interested in talking to you about it all some, if you want. Maybe even hear some of what you've written, and give my input.

And yeah, I really wish I knew someone in person experienced with the recording and production of rock/metal music. I'd love to learn with them. A way to be able to get into it without having to read crap online. An opportunity to use real equipment, too.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

The most real equipment we have are a shitty MOTU interface, and a Line6 Hd500 pedal or whatever for tone-modeling. Well, a couple guitars as well, and access to other instruments at our leisure are nice too.

I'd like to get my hands on some hardware synths, and pedals at the very least, in the future. Maybe some controller shit to get our hands off of the mouse, and into the realm of tangibility. All of which costs money, and usually a lot of it, though, so some day.

Bersinger, you seem pretty damn passionate about recording, and music in general, huh. My brother is usually all up in technical, mathematical shit, among other things, and like with your rambling, I don't think I really get it. All good and well to listen to, but once people start getting into the science, and complexities of it all, I completely zone out. I just press record and make sure things run smoothly, iron out some shitty frequencies and pretty it up, aha.

And look around, Kiah. You'd probably be surprised at who has a bunch of equipment laying around, or who can be convinced to buy some. Even ancient hardware is a great step, I've been around 8-track recording and shitty hardware all of my life. My uncle, who actually went to school for recording (for a bit) only really picked up on digital recording a few years ago, and was able to get it on lock pretty quickly for all of his experience with hardware. It's fun to noodle around with, once you've got something going that you can actually hit record with.

Music is cool

So last night my girlfriend and I had this talk from like midnight to three. The conclusion was basically that we both want to be with each other and don't like to imagine life apart -- but our ideas of the future are so utterly incompatible that this relationship isn't going to work out in the long term. We agreed that it's over in February.

Definitely my weirdest breakup ever.

Um.

Yeah, I have mice too. I'm worried that they'll poop in my kombucha. I've been setting traps for them and carrying them across a creek so that if they want to come back, they have to swim. Hope that works.

February seems like a while, but I take it there's some money-related reason, yeah? Whatever the case, sorry it had to go that way, I guess. Hope everything works out.

I'm dealing with one mouse in particular right now that's evading all of my traps. I have no clue how, they're never usually able to. My only guess is that I've caught him before, and he's learned. Probably drive out across town to let it go, once I do catch it. Bastard..

Hiking is hard. Brother and I went on Tuesday, and it made me feel the burn, but I was able to go for a couple hours no sweat. Made the mistake of going again today, and despite thinking I was recovered, I could only manage about forty hours. Doesn't help that it's way too hot out, I guess.

I'd like to go to a more interesting location next time though, I guess. We have this one state park around with gorgeous trails, and a huge waterfall, and it's great. Nature's pretty, I guess. Resolved to go out and experience it some more, before I turn into that guy who's pasty white and cringes at the sunlight. You know, that guy. Maybe actually get fit in the process. The other exercising stuff has gone down, as it started getting much harder, with no gain a few weeks ago, so I'm not doing much anymore. I'll try and get back into it, but it's seeming oddly difficult. Dunno.

Is a hike once a week decent exercise? I mean, that's not all I do, just, should I be doing more? Will one a week help build up stamina, at all?

February seems like a while, but I take it there's some money-related reason, yeah?

More of a motivation reason, I think. She's not happy unless she's out there working hard and being successful, and I'm the exact opposite.

I'm dealing with one mouse in particular right now that's evading all of my traps.

I think I might be in the same boat now. Actually, I think maybe the trap jammed and he got out of it. I baited it with part of a chocolate bar this time, and I'm hoping that lures him back in.

I'd like to go to a more interesting location next time though, I guess. We have this one state park around with gorgeous trails, and a huge waterfall, and it's great. Nature's pretty, I guess.

I went hiking with my father one morning. It was like five in the morning, and we drove to the Appalachian Trail and climbed a small mountain to watch the sun rise. It was nice, and I've often thought about going back, or maybe hiking the whole trail, or maybe just sitting there, looking over the cliff, and telling people "Mountains are nice." Maybe giving them some magic tabs if they pester me long enough.

Resolved to go out and experience it some more, before I turn into that guy who's pasty white and cringes at the sunlight. You know, that guy.

This guy? Except that's a girl, but yeah. And speaking of girls, I'm sure everyone already knows this one.

Is a hike once a week decent exercise? I mean, that's not all I do, just, should I be doing more? Will one a week help build up stamina, at all?

I've heard that hiking is better exercise than jogging. Not cardio though, so there's that.