Chat Thread

Hey, Amazon prime is great. 20% off new release games, free 2-day shipping, a passable Spotify alternative, and all the shitty, old, (or shitty AND old) movies you can stand to watch.

I want to be ignored

Don't want a speaking part

I don't want any one to notice

The blood spilling out of my exploding heart

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm trying to pick up drawing. I've always been pretty bad, but there are two or three from-sight-copy things I've done that I'm super proud of, so I figure actually learning how to make my own stuff would be alright. What's the worst that could happen?

My brother owns a Wacom tablet, and I've been using that to doodle a little bit, but that disconnect I get from not being able to see what my hand is doing is rough. Anybody have a recommended brand of pencils for art? I've got some writing stuff around, but that's about it.

If you wish to learn to draw, any pencil you can get your hands on can work. Personally, I just use mechanical pencils I grabbed from the Staples or a Supermarket and some printer paper when I wish to practice.

If you're really at that low a level, I'd suggest working more on your skill and technique than finding the best tools, because you really don't need them.

Sock Cottonwell's

Sketchbook, Journal, and Ask thread.

Peace

Well, I wasn't sure until he'd recommended them, but decent mechanical pencils are actually ideal. I'm actually out of the house a lot, whether at work, or just out doing stuff with people, and I'd rather not carry a sharpener around.

Also, again, money is zero issue, so whatever's gonna last is best anyway.

I think they've been delivered, actually. I'm just too lazy to get out of bed to check on them, rip

Don't have paper, though. That's an issue. Will probably grab a sketchbook today or tomorrow. Fun.

Well, I wasn't sure until he'd recommended them, but decent mechanical pencils are actually ideal. I'm actually out of the house a lot, whether at work, or just out doing stuff with people, and I'd rather not carry a sharpener around.

Also, again, money is zero issue, so whatever's gonna last is best anyway.

I think they've been delivered, actually. I'm just too lazy to get out of bed to check on them, rip

Don't have paper, though. That's an issue. Will probably grab a sketchbook today or tomorrow. Fun.

If you want something mobile, a small sketchbook will work wonders. I bought one for myself and it ended up being my favorite journal. It's extremely convenient.

Sock Cottonwell's

Sketchbook, Journal, and Ask thread.

Peace

Am I like, the only person who has trouble posting anything? I want to contribute and share my thoughts, but I just can't write out any words, or if I can, I can't click 'Post Reply' as if I have some fear that what I'm saying is going to be stupid or whatever. I dunno. I need to try to post more. Maybe I can start with this.

And since we're on the topic of it, I can confirm that small sketchbooks are great for carrying around. Better than a folder at least. I used to draw a lot on printer paper and stored everything in a red folder. It didn't keep the papers in a good condition, and the red of the folder ended up coming off onto the paper, so now all those drawings have a big red spot on them. Later I actually found a blank sketchbook in my stuff, so I decided to use that. It worked out much better than the folder.

Not that they were good drawings, though. I'm not too good with drawing stuff, even now, and I'm not confident enough to post them online. I think I just need more practice. Though, really, anyone could use some more practice. That's how we get better, right?

Tulpas:

Melody - Creation Date: October 21st, 2014

Pumpkin - Creation Date: January 2015

my mastodon - my other mastodon

We're gonna try to post more often, but you know, no promises or whatever.

Nice avatar, Enny.

Thanks

You're actually the third or fourth person to compliment it, which is weird. I love it, but that's because I'm super familiar with the pony, didn't think other people would that much.

And Muffin, post away. I get wanting to contribute and not being able to, although in my case it's because I simply have nothing of value to put forth, but this thread is pretty low-standards by this point, so don't feel intimidated or whatever. Maybe you'll feel comfy enough to post elsewhere as well, after a bit.

Awww shit sooonnn

So I live with musicians right, and one of them just happens to have a fuckton of mics, right?

So I asked if he had any he wasn't using, and he's letting me borrow his Rode NT1-A. This thing is great. Of course, I'm not going to be using it for anything but Skype, but still. Sounds really good, and my voice isn't lisping like crazy like it does with low-end mics.

Anybody have preferred microphones for general computing activities? As far as it goes, this thing is pretty cheap, at around $230, but still, more than a cut above anything I've owned before, like, ha, the snowball. Would definitely be into buying my own, soon. Unless anyone can recommend some other, quality stuff.

>pretty cheap, at around $230

TFW you record podcasts with a $50 mic and think it's expensive.

Could you give us a sample recording in a lossless format?

I don't visit as often as I used to. If you want me to see something, make sure to quote a post of mine or ping me @jean-luc

The Blue Yeti is pretty good. It's $124 on Amazon, but if you think that $230 is cheap for a mic, it shouldn't be much of a problem then.

Tulpas:

Melody - Creation Date: October 21st, 2014

Pumpkin - Creation Date: January 2015

my mastodon - my other mastodon

We're gonna try to post more often, but you know, no promises or whatever.