Chat Thread

I think it's pretty nonsensical to focus on any one of those two things: technical proficiency (being able to actually play your instrument) and music theory. The two complement each other, and I think they should be learned alongside one another, if you haven't already had a lot of experience with one of the two, for whatever reason. Learning the instrument then coming back to learn what you were doing is silly, and learning the theory before learning an instrument feels very limiting. So much you know how to do in theory, but not in practice. It kinda sucks. Not to mention, there are certain things you just can't really ingrain in your brain outside of practicing them.

So, as long as you actually are interested in learning theory, there's no reason not to get started right away. And of course, as has been stated, music theory is not required in order to make good music. But I would definitely recommend it, as it will greatly broaden your musical palette, if you allow it to. Also, I cannot stress enough how important ear training is. Get started on that immediately.

If you ever have any questions or need any help regarding music theory, I'd be happy to help. I've been studying it on and off for a few years, and I really enjoy teaching others things that I'm interested in.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely agree. Before I actually had anything to play, I'd been trying to learn theory for years, and never really understood any of it. I suppose that so far, theory itself has been kind of second to technique, but knowing how to make noise without fucking up every ten seconds probably isn't the worst thing to worry about before all else.

I haven't considered much ear-training yet, but I'll definitely look into it. Would you recommend any methods or exercises to start out with?

Also, would you be willing to voice-chat and talk about literally everything you know, theory-wise? My only resource is currently YouTube, and there's some quality stuff if you can find it, but that one-on-one interaction not being there is tough.

Bold request, I know, just wondering. I don't really know what one thing I should ask, it's more just, everything from beginning to end.

I have personally used teoria.com's exercises, but I have no idea if there are better resources out there. I'd start with basic, ascending, non-extended, melodic intervals (from random note), starting with only a few of the easier ones and adding more when you have those down. Intervals are the basis of most ear training.

Well if I talked about everything I knew, you would get lost pretty quickly. In the beginning, there is a lot of memorization that needs to be done of the basics, and you shouldn't really move on from there until you have them down. There are the very basics like pitch classes, note duration, basic time signatures, etc, that can be learned and remembered very quickly. But after that, it's important to learn your keys inside and out. You don't have to have them down perfectly, but you should be able to come up with any major scale with relative ease. Only after that would I really recommend getting into the more advanced harmonic topics.

Also, I've noticed that rhythm is something most classical musicians seem to be really lacking in. Either way, learning to count music is a skill, and it will definitely take a while before you get that down, and the only way to do that is to practice. It's not something you'll pick up right away. Of course, basic simple and compound meter is easy enough, but if you're interested in being even somewhat adept at more complicated rhythms, it's going to take some time.

So basically, I don't think you would benefit very much from one session, no matter how long. Most of the time will be spent practicing and listening, not learning.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

Oh, I didn't mean to imply I wanted to learn literally everything in one session, just that it would be better to talk about as much as possible over several interactions or something. I'm a relatively hands-on and scatterbrained person, and I can't really jump around and ask questions with YouTube tutorials.

I'm also an alright learner. It took me, idunno, an hour or so of practice per scale I've learned so far to get the movements down, and get the errors to a minimum (Still a long way to go before it's perfect, but it could be worse), but I need to be learning like, a lot of things at once to really get it in. It's weird, I don't know.

I've got down a lot of major scales so far, and a couple minors, but I agree that I could definitely be further along there before worrying much about more advanced things.

Rhythm, yeah, I've been fucking with different time-signatures to the sound of a metronome. It definitely takes some doing, but it's not crazy difficult. I also, uhm, dance a small bit, so that actually genuinely helps with that.

Idunno, yeah, I'll step up my game and maybe ask again in a couple weeks. Also, will definitely get on the ear-training asap. Just need to get an idea of how it's all going to go down.

Fun fun fun.

I'm thinking of picking up a nice rug to tie my room together this Friday. That's probably the most adult thing I'll have bought. The one I want is $80 though, and I'm not totally sure I'm ready to make that commitment. Next Friday I'll have enough funds to buy it without feeling iffy on it, so I might just wait until then.

Adulthood.

Also need a new monitor (And speaker-monitors, but those are more expensive). I use this little tv I stole from my aunt a while back (was given), and it's in 1080p and all, looks fine, but eh, need something bigger. Considering a 1440p something. I think Asus has one for like, $350, so maybe instead of a rug I'll just get that next week.

Of course, I need a better gpu to play a lot of stuff on a 1440p display, but I'm sure the 960 I've got now can handle New Vegas, at least, as that's all I play anyway. I'm actually gonna go for a 1070 when once I can find one, instead of the 1080. I could afford it, sure, but I feel better dropping $400 on a new card instead of $600, considering how I plan on jumping on a 1080ti as soon as those are a thing. Better price/performance upgrade, probably

Idunno, just rambling

Anyone else looking to buy new and interesting things? Like rugs?

@Kiahdaj: what are you interested in? Why do you enjoy teaching people?

I've seen good people bleed

And I thought I'd seen it all

But my own two eyes would prove me wrong that day.

There are things that I've done

Only seen by the sun

And those things will be buried in my grave.

Hiking fucking suuucks

I went on Saturday and nearly threw up, but by all, I made it. Not the first time I've tried the particular trail, but by thirty or so minutes I've always been too tired to continue. Think I've found the right people to go with, though. They pushed, and I made it. Hoping to make it a weekly thing. It hurt, but it felt pretty good too.

God, being skinny-fat sucks. I still do calisthenics, but I must just be weird or something, because despite being at it for a good while now, I never really improve. Whatever, though. To add on to the hiking, maybe I can find the right people to push me at a gym or something. I'm sick of feeling like such a loser, you know?

Sick of the introverted bullshit, sick of remembering how I've always been that edgy faggot who would look down on normal people, back when I was in school, or in public after that. Sick of hanging with the losers who don't do anything but jack off in their rooms and avoid social interactions. I have one friend who deliberately avoids socializing with us, his friends, for months at a time, so we have to fucking drag him out of his home, with his mom's approval. How fucking sad? Dude's older than me. Gonna do just that this Saturday, maybe we can get him to snap the fuck out of it.

Idunno, just rambling. Probably preaching to the wrong community, ahaha. I actually imagine most of you being pretty normal, but, well, probably not.

Getting my hair cut this week. For the first time in almost ten years, I'll have short hair. Good riddance. It's always been my way of hiding, and it looks stupid.

God I'm tired.

@Kiahdaj: what are you interested in? Why do you enjoy teaching people?

I have a variety of interests, such as computer-related things, math, psychology, language, and music. However, I'm not really advanced enough in any of those subjects to be a great general teacher, aside from music (and most certainly not in all aspects of music). This means that I can mostly only offer teaching in rudimentary aspects of the subjects, or more specific topics, most of the time. But I do plan to advance my knowledge in all of them, so it'll only be a matter of time before I'm intimately familiar with a lot of them, too.

I enjoy teaching people, because I like helping people. Why do I like helping people? I'm not sure. This goes even for things that I'm not particularly passionate about. However, I love to teach things I'm passionate about, because it gives me an opportunity to talk about them, and I like to try to share my perspective with people. I like to try to inspire the same passion in them as I have for the subjects. Teaching also helps ingrain the knowledge further into my own brain. It makes me go over some of the fundamentals that I may not have thought of in a while. To drill the basics again. Particularly, when I learn something new and fascinating, I like to tell someone about it, because not only do I like to share knowledge, but they say teaching is a great way to learn. I also like to have the opportunity to be the teacher I seldom had—a good one.

Enny, what's your routine like? And also, make sure you're eating well. Lots of protein, as well as general nutrition. It doesn't matter how hard you work out; if you're not eating well, you won't see any progress.

Over the last several months, I've been getting a lot more serious about my own health. For the longest time, I was a skinny twerp, and I always said "I can't gain any weight, no matter how much I eat!". I would exercise every other day, but always would give up within a few months. I always lost motivation when I didn't see hardly any progress at all. I really stepped it into gear though, and started eating a lot better. Made sure I was eating 3 meals every single day, and all that. I've also been sticking to a workout routine (more intense than I've had in the past, too) for a lot of that time. Since then, I've put on 30 pounds, and have nearly doubled my pull up count.

Definitely feels pretty good to at least know that I can make real progress. I've still got a decent ways to go, before I'm completely content with my appearance and strength, but I look better now than I ever have, and to be honest, I look pretty good.

My routine is basic floor-stuff. Pushups to whatever degree I can manage without my arms exploding, situps, planks, leg-lifts, fuckin, squats, etc. Usually two or three sets a night three to four times a week.

I'm probably going to see a professional about getting me set up with something ideal, though.

My diet is better than it used to be. I'm not getting three perfectly healthy meals a day because I really don't feel like I have time, but I know I do, so I'll try to get up a bit earlier and cook something for breakfast from now on. Lunch is usually garbage, but it's garbage with protein, and dinner is soup or something microwavable because the roomies are settling down by the time I get home. I'll look into things that are quick, but still good for me.

Honestly, I might consider focus a lot more on just, trimming up for now. A good baseline is important, right? Of course, that means cutting down sweets, so fuck me.

Anything to not be such a wimp, though

Also, sorry for skimping on the piano stuff, busy couple weeks. There's been a lot of me being super tired, aaand also I sliced the fuck out of a couple fingers last Tuesday or so.

Good tonight though, shoot you a message on Skype.