Chat Thread

Aren't you like paranoid that you're pretty much putting your face online publicly and attached to you tulpa.info account?

406x440http://i.imgur.com/hL6fmuh.png[/img]

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[video=youtube]

(For Jean-luc: Suwako is a nature goddess. Cirno is an ice fairy (also in the instruction booklet for Touhou 9, when labeling the parts of the game ZUN wrote #(9) over her and labelled it "Baka"). Suwako is strongly associated with frogs and acts like one in fanon. Cirno likes to freeze frogs and watch them thaw, sometimes accidentally shattering them. As far as I can tell this is basically Suwako passive-aggressively demonstrating her dominance over Cirno due to that fact. Also it's a remix of Suwako's boss theme)

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

(edited)

Touhou takes place in Gensokyo, a huge area of the Earth "cut out" a long time ago by a barrier that conceals it as a sanctuary for youkai and magic as the outside world was starting to rely more on science and less on faith, or something like that, which put mythological creatures and gods in danger of going extinct. Almost all of the game characters are girls because ZUN only knew how to draw females at first (he drew a couple guys really early on though), and later there were already so many he thought it would be weird to suddenly introduce male characters (it would). Though there are human males in the human village of Gensokyo, and a few in the lore/books/mangas, but not in the main games.

The games are all curtain fire shoot'em-ups (shmups), which means you have to dodge THOUSANDS of little bullets and one hit will take a life. They're really, really hard. And awesome. The games each have six stages, each with a stage to midboss and then a boss-boss, and then an Extra stage with a stage and a reallllyyy hard boss. Flandre and Suwako are extra stage bosses. But Touhou is almost entirely as popular as it is because all of the characters are really unique and each have their own theme song (sometimes several). And aside from all the art and videos, Touhou is most known for arranges (remixes) of those themes, of which there are HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS oh my god there's a lot of music. Because ZUN is an amazing musician, and also he makes the songs first and then designs the stages and bosses with their theme in mind.

Story is basically, someone or something is doing something they shouldn't be that's threatening the balance of things in Gensokyo, like in Touhou 6 (Embodiment of Scarlet Devil) when Remilia Scarlet spread a red mist all over Gensokyo that blocked out the sun so she, a vampire, could walk around outside during the day. Yep, that's it. So Reimu or Marisa, the two main protagonists, goes and beats her up and everyone that gets in their way to that point. And then Remilia just uses a parasol instead. Also in the extra stage you stumble upon Flandre and play a one-coin-game with no continues.. Seems like most extra bosses just get stumbled upon and are tangentially relevant to the story but not the incident. But yeah the events that cause the game (incidents) are pretty random, and generally whatever protagonists are available and you choose for that game set out and beat up everyone in their way through six stages to beat the boss causing the problem. But there are special side games that deviate a bit.

{edit: lost whatever this video was in the forum migration so the next paragraph won't make sense, RIP} {But while I'm here, have some example gameplay lol why didn't I post this before, here's Flandre Scarlet, the Extra Boss of the 2002 game Touhou 6 ~ Embodiment of Scarlet Devil}

As for the above video and every other "weird" fan-made thing about Touhou: it's Japan. That's all there is to it. I love it though. (They tend to take all the little details, themes, personalities and so on of characters and express them in lots of ways, even though they don't do that much in the games, a ton of which is only fanon aka not canon but something fans like to portray)

You should watch this video, if not any other, because it is the best. Like most Touhou fan videos it's absolutely full of references and interpretations (Alice and Marisa tend to be partnered in games, Eirin creates medicines and has Reisen sell them to the human village.. not experiment on her like fans like to joke, Suwako and Nazrin are having a frog and mouse wrestle each other)

Maribel and Renko are two actually-humans-living-in-the-outside-world who have unknown relations to Gensokyo, Maribel having dreams about it. Watching Yukari and the miko creating Gensokyo totally gives me goosebumps still. (dw they labelled all the names with annotations){Edit: Youtube got rid of annotations because WHY NOT LOL so RIP that, but there's no talking anyway}

You totes don't need any other introduction to Touhou, I explained it all, you're welcome! Did I mention there are well over a hundred characters? (That we're completely familiar with?)

Edited by Lucilyn

I've played a couple of the games but I feel like there's a bridge between the games and the art/stories/everything fan-made based on touhou. It always seems like I'm missing something, like there was some secret story I missed that would make everything not confusing.

I don't visit as often as I used to. If you want me to see something, make sure to quote a post of mine or ping me @jean-luc

I've played a couple of the games but I feel like there's a bridge between the games and the art/stories/everything fan-made based on touhou. It always seems like I'm missing something, like there was some secret story I missed that would make everything not confusing.

The issue with Touhou is that so much of the material is fanbased. At times certain products can seriously be described as a fancomic of a fanfic of a piece of fanart of another fancomic of one guy's post on 2ch. There IS an actual canon, usually the games, and some comics and stories (Like the Three Fairies Comics) that were specifically written by ZUN, but everything else is subject to dudes making stuff up based on personal whims. You'd have to dive in and soak the whole thing in to start understanding the fan material.

Sock Cottonwell's

Sketchbook, Journal, and Ask thread.

Peace

We got a ping pong table. It's pretty fun. I started out pretty bad, but as the night went on, I found myself about as good as everyone else in the room. Maybe they were just getting worse? Null and I were all like hey let's do that sometime, but it's way too easy in the mind, so that's a no-go.

The table was apparently like, $350 though, so that's fuckin' crazy. Seems pretty good, though.

Anyone else play?

I only play beer pong. I tried ping pong a few times but it didn't come easily to me so I was like fuck it.

We're all gonna make it brah.